June 19 Technique: Photo Filters

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by HeyJude, Jun 19, 2017.

1. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

Welcome to the June Weekly Focus Challenges! We have an awesome line up of Technique-based challenges to share with you this week. I am starting things off with a photo filter technique using the Cutout filter to make an artsy portrait.

Here is a look at the technique in action:

[​IMG]

The steps for this filter are very easy, so let's get started!

1. Convert photo to black/white (optional). Depending on the look you want to achieve, you might consider converting the photo to black/white. Use your favorite technique for the black/white conversion. I used Radlab on my photo, but a quick and easy way to do a b/w conversion right in Photoshop or PSE is to apply a Hue/Saturation Adjustment (CTRL>ALT>U).

[​IMG]

Here is a comparison of the original color photo, cutout filter applied to the black/white conversion, and cutout filter applied to the color photo:

[​IMG]

2. Before you try to access the filter gallery, make sure that your photo is sized at 8 bits (the filter gallery will not be accessible if you are working on a 16 bit image). To check your image size click on Image at the top of the work space, then choose Mode in the drop down menu and select "8 bits/Channel" in the flyout menu. (This should only be an issue if you are working with a RAW image in Photoshop which is sized at 16 bits. PSE will not open 16 bit images, so this issue would not come up in that program.)

3. Now we are ready to apply the filter. [NOTE: My screen shots are from the latest edition of PSCC, but it works the same way in PSE 15.] Click on the Filter button at the top of the work space and choose "Filter Gallery" in the drop down menu. This will take you to a new screen where you can see all of the available filters. The Cutout filter is located in the Artistic Folder at the top of the menu column. Click on the folder (if it is not already open) and you should see the Cutout filter in the top row.

TIP: To make your entire photo visible in the viewing area, click on the size menu in the bottom left corner and choose "Fit in View."

4. Now all you need to do is adjust the settings that you will see to the right of the filter folders. There is no magical formula for these settings, you just need to play with them until you achieve the look you want with your photo. You will be able to see the adjustments on the photo in the viewing screen, so process is pretty quick and easy. Here are the settings I used on my photo:

[​IMG]

Once you have the look you want, just click the OK button in the top right corner and you will be taken back to the regular work space area.

5. Now that you have your filtered photo, bring it onto your digital page and use it in any manner you want. You could frame it, extract it and make a sticker out of it, or blend it into the background of the page. I blended mine into the background by changing the blending mode to Linear Burn. This technique can work with any scrapping style - the possibilities are endless.

And that is it! There are so many fabulous filters available in Photoshop and PSE (and other programs too), so your challenge is to find one that appeals to you and apply it to a photo (or even to your entire page). I can't wait to see your filtered effects!

The only rules are that you have fun, learn something new and follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines when posting your pages:

Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

jenn mccabe, KarenB, MrsPeel and 3 others like this.
  2. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Great challenge, Judie!

HeyJude and MrsPeel like this.
  3. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

great indeed!!!! see, is in these moments I wish I used Photoshop.... I may be able to find a way around in Craft Artist though!!!!! will try tomorrow!!!!

HeyJude and londoncuppa like this.
  4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Come over to the Dark Side, Cyn...we have cookies! :pigout:yoda

MrsPeel, keepscrappin and HeyJude like this.
  5. HeyJude

If you find a similar filter in Craft Artist, be sure to let us know!

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

This is an ATC.
    [​IMG]

HeyJude likes this.
  7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Fun challenge. I have an older version of Photoshop (CS2) so it has its limits but I did like the poster edges filter and decided to use it. I made some upexpected choices (for me at least) but I liked the way it turned out.
    [​IMG]

Had so much fun with the first that I tried a second. This time I used the sketch filter and then extracted the cat, texturized him and placed him back in place with a decreased opacity so he would both blend in and yet stand out a bit. Here's the second:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you so much for this, I enjoyed using it, it was a new filter to me so I couldn't help myself I made 2 . Like Cynthia ( @MrsPeel ) I want to try it in Craft Artist too, and if it comes good I will post it. but these are made in photoshop elements.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HeyJude, mcurtt and MrsPeel like this.
  9. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I started to make a regular (8x11) page, but turned it into an ATC because I liked it so much. Neat filter - I had used it before but forgot about it; thanks for the reintroduction!
    [​IMG]

10. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

ahahahahahahahah Margaret!!! I would gladly if it wasn't for the fact that I did try back in 2010 when I was having trouble to keep Craft Artist running on iMac, I had a PSE version so I gave it a go... couldn't find my way with tutorials so one of my team friends got on Skype to help me out, as I do better with someone helping me out as I go.... didn't work, for some reason, I was frustrated to the point that I ended up in tears (no kidding)
    I have to admit that it maybe was because there was something wrong with my PSE, but once I was able to run Craft Artist without hassle... it is SO much easier, and it does most of what PSE does, and in some cases the ease of use (especially for neurologically challenged people like me :giggle ) but I may do what Vivi is doing and start giving it a go whilst still on Craft Artist, as it would be worth even if only to learn techniques like this or ...OMG to use Leah's Styles!!!!!!!!! (Mommyish)my dream!!!!!
    I may ask for your help, maybe you fancy listening to a Brazilian speaking Brit English with a Latina accent!!! :giggle
    @londoncuppa

Vivi wrote to me last night about this, she did find the way, I have had no time yet to look it up, but we will put something together for all other people scrapping on Craft Artist for sure!!!!! :heartlub:heartlub

Vivi....stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ll give it a go to your link and maybe we can work together into posting in tutorial mode for the others!!!!! (I'm sure there are at least another 4 people on CA here?)
    be back later!!!! @Nemla

HeyJude likes this.
  11. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Easy technique...hard for me to create in this style...I can see more of this in my future...it is rather addicting!
    cayton-easter-art-web.gif

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Oh I like this but since it's not doable in PSE13, it may induce me to install PSE15 - finally - if I can find the software!

HeyJude likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Great challenge Judie and I LOVE your sample layout!

HeyJude likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Darn - I hope you find your software. I wonder when the filter gallery was added to PSE. I just checked and my PSE 14 has the cutout filter. It's under Filter > Filter Gallery > Cutout. I did have to right click and simplify my photo after turning it b&w with radlabs so it would work with the filter. Otherwise it was trying to run the filter on the white layer mask instead of the photo.

HeyJude likes this.
  15. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

This was fun to learn! I used the same photo, making one B&W and leaving the larger one in color, for the smaller one that was in B&W I didn't like the white blob on her forehead so I used the vivid light blending option.

[​IMG]

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

@HeyJude This was so much fun!!!!!!

Here is mine!

[​IMG]

michele hillam, mcurtt and HeyJude like this.
  17. HeyJude

You guys are seriously rocking this Challenge!!!

18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I'm a bit late for the party, but here is my contribution. It is an old, itty-bitty, photo of me taken in 1970. It was really rather blah, no contrast at all. When I applied the cut-out filter, it washed everything out, even though I tried to boost the contrast with levels beforehand. So I applied a glowing edges filter to it as well, and this is what it turned out like:

[​IMG]

londoncuppa, flowersgal and HeyJude like this.
  19. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

the filter gallery is in pse 11 under filter/photo filter i think

20. HeyJude

I love the effect with the glowing edges!! It gives the photo a sketchy/watercolor feel. Thanks for sharing your technique with us. :)

mcurtt likes this.