July Random Challenge

Discussion in 'July 2019 Challenges' started by Karen, Jun 27, 2019.

1. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I use PSE 2018.....and I am sure there are several ways to get this look.....the first is using a big bold font,

Step 1) Type out your letters on different layers and place them where you want on your page.
    Step 2) If using a separate photo or paper, place the photo or paper on the layer ABOVE the letter you want to fill. Step 3) Clip the photo or layer to the letter with CTRL+ALT+G (your paper or photo should now be the shape of the letter)
    Step 4) Highlight both of your layers (click on the letter layer and when holding down the shift key click on the paper/photo layer) go to the layer tab and select merge visible
    Step 5) Place a "stoke outline" around your letter by going to the Edit tab and selecting Stroke (outline) selection....Choose a larger outline (like 40 or 50) and the color (I usually use white) and click OK.

Do these steps for each letter in your title. This is if you want a different photo/paper for each letter.

You could also use a pre-made layered alpha at /TLP...this is one of my favorites by Just Jamiee:
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/March-2018-BYOC-Embroidered-Alphas.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You could also use a pre-made cut file available at TLP such as this by Scrapping With Liz (I would do some erasing of a paper or photo below them, there is probably an easier way) :
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Cut-Out-Uppercase-Alphas.html
    [​IMG]

Hope these work for you....I am sure someone with more experience can offer more suggestions as well!

Hopefully this works for you!

Vrielinkie and Karen like this.
  2. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Thank you so much for replying! I saw her question and forgot to go back and answer! I hope these suggestions help you get started @RJMJ If you have any more questions just holler.

5. Jacky1505

Jacky1505 Member

6. nhudao

nhudao Well-Known Member

7. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

8. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

9. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

@Karen
    or anyone who knows...
    what's the easiest way to create your fill layer. My letters are empty, so I fill them and then cut out the fill part of the letter but it doesn't quite work/fit. My goal is to have a filled layer and an outline layer I can add to.

TIA.

Photoshop CC if that matters. :)

Here's my page...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Karen likes this.
  10. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

11. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Thanks for the Great Challenge!
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  12. Karen

I'm trying to answer, but I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Lol. Are you asking how to create the block part of the letter or the thin outline part?

I'll tell you how I did mine using THESE ALPHA TEMPLATES. The templates came with just the outlined portion, so I placed those all across my layout how I wanted them. Then I created a blank layer right below each letter in the layers palette and named them "below A", etc. so I could keep track of which one went with which letter. Then I used the magic wand tool with the A outline layer active and clicked outside of the A outline. (contigous clicked on) That highlighted everything outside of the outline A. Then I clicked CTRL-SHIFT-I to do an inverse selection. Now you should have the whole A area as a block selected. Then I clicked on the new blank (below A) layer and hit ALT-backspace to fill the selected area. That became my filled background area of the A letter.

Is that what you were looking for? If my explanation is too confusing written out, I could do a quick video to show you faster. :agree

Kat likes this.
  13. Karen

Oh and I'm on PS CS5 which is old as the hills now, so some of the shortcuts might be slightly different? @Kat

Kat likes this.
  14. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

so fun

[​IMG]

Karen and Thuria like this.
  15. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge, Karen!

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  16. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

17. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Yes super helpful. I'll try it this way next time. I am not even sure how I did it but it seemed to take forever! lol.

Karen likes this.
  18. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For my letters, I used a bold font (black), typed each letter on it's own layer, simplified and duplicated each. I then added a white stroke to the top layer of each letter, selected the black, deleted it and added an acrylic style to the resultant outline. The bottom layer of each letter was used as a clipping mask for the photo and papers (PSE11). Very likely easier ways, but this is the way I got there!

Karen likes this.
  19. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for this challenge. I had a lot of fun trying to adapt it to the Mixed Media style.
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  20. disneysheryl65

disneysheryl65 Snoring in perfect pitch

Thanks for the challenge! For those of you not using photoshop - I use Artisan - I put the paper/photo under the outline letter and then used my eraser to make the same shape. There is probably an easier way, but that's the fastest way I could figure out. Fun to try new things!

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.