July Random Challenge

Discussion in 'July 2018 Challenges' started by Justagirl, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Hi Everyone, Wow...it’s July already! That means we have another month of fab challenges ahead of us. This month I am excited to be hosting a Random Challenge which I am calling ‘CUT OUT FANCIES’. I thought it would be fun to start cutting out negative space in our pages to create some bold eye catching design tricks in our digital projects; just as paper scrappers do in theirs when they use svg.files.

In paper scrapping the svg.file has become a popular way to add cut outs of pattern, quotes, titles and niches. No more laborious fussy cutting when you can use a cut file! But in digital scrapping its even easier to create that same look, and something we probably do often without realising it.

CHALLENGE CRITERIA:
    So, this month, lets really make our CUT-OUTS sing and add some cut out negative space in our digital project. This technique is a fun way to enhance your page and create some extra special scrappy artworks.​
    • You could use a word art, quote or type a title to use as a mask to create a negative space cut out from your background paper.​
    • Maybe try a repeat pattern to cut out a bold background.​
    • Use a shape as a mask to house a photo, flair button or any other element of your choice.​
    • Then layer a solid or pattern paper underneath to create a peek’a’boo effect.​
    • Whatever you choose, the combination is entirely up to you so long as you incorporate a minimum of 2 UNIQUE cut outs in your page.​
    In my page below, I have cut out some [Organic Shapes], to house some mixed media bits along with a [Title], I fashioned from a word art. I then added a [Block Border] and some ‘+’ signs scattered for added interest.​

For extra inspiration I have put together a Pinterest Board 'CUT OUT FANCIES'. It’s filled with lots of great cut out design ideas and some TLP product I pulled from the shop that could be handy to use in your project. I also pinned some great tutorials found on the web outlining different ways to create a punched/ cut out shape in your page.

Remember our monthly challenge rules:

Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the JULY Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

I can't wait to see your fancy CUT OUT pages in the gallery!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

What an opportunity to be creative. This will be a fun one.

Justagirl likes this.
  3. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

love this! I love doing this, but don't do it nearly enough!

Justagirl likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Great challenge and inspiration! Love your layout and will definitely look at your Pinterest board.

5. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

6. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

Fun challenge - I need to use cut outs more! Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  7. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

So much fun!
    [​IMG]

appellief and Justagirl like this.
  8. Justagirl

I'm with you Jlynn, it's something I love to do but don’t do very often. Glad you like the challenge :)

9. Mumma848

Mumma848 Well-Known Member

as others have said, I love doing this but too often forget about it!! Thanks for the reminder!!
    [​IMG]

meterr, tinkerbell1112 and Justagirl like this.
  10. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

Em you're amazing... and I thank you for all your inspiration! Definitely doing this one! xx

11. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

This was so much fun. I forgot how creative the Cut outs look in layouts. I use to use them all the time.
    Thanks for the reminder :)

For this challenge I cut out a circle from 2 papers to reveal the 2 hidden papers under the top one. I did the same with the heart behind the bottom photo. I also added in an extraction photo to the circle cut outs. Been a LONG time since I've done an extraction photo.

[​IMG]

Justagirl likes this.
  12. Isa Marks

Isa Marks Pollywog

13. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

14. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

15. Justagirl

Aww thank you gorgeous, right back at ya! xo

16. AnnePC

AnnePC Well-Known Member

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

fun! i made some cut-outs in this template by changing some of the drop shadows to inner shadows on the chevrons
    [​IMG]

Justagirl, mcurtt and jenn mccabe like this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

so clever!

bellbird likes this.
  19. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

20. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom