July Process Tutorial

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mishou, Jul 24, 2015.

1. mishou

mishou mishou

Hi :flirty

When they asked me to do a tutorial I was a bit at a loss. a) I’m not great at teaching and b) I use a dinosaur ancient version of PS (CS3) so I don’t even know what tools and functions are still relevant (not to mention that I have no clue how to use Elements!)

Anyway that led me to do a process video instead. This is approx. 17 minutes of me showing you step-by-step how I came up with this layout using the July M3 collection.

[​IMG]

A few things that I touch on that you could take as a challenge for this week:

- Creative use of Lynne-Marie’s cracked wall paper
    - Visual triangles and the rule of 3s
    - Using symbolic imagery to tell a story instead of words

I hope that you will find it at least a tiny bit inspiring :)

NOTE: There’s a particular technique I used that needs some translation for Elements. I use the “Select —> Color Range” function in PS and it doesn’t have an exact equivalent in Elements. I asked the Pollys and some of them suggested that the Magic Wand tool might work similarly but I can’t test it because I don’t have the program. For help with this, check out the Magic Wand section in this tutorial file by Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/making-selections.html#use_the_magic_wand_tool

Here we go:

[video=vimeo;134468666]https://vimeo.com/134468666[/video]

Have fun and thanks for watching! :thumbsups

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  2. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

It took me a while to get to your tutorial. I did find it very helpful even though I am a PSE user. I learned about using the burn tool for extra shadowing (thanks). I also had used that same background for a layout. I wanted to show the symbolic "me" breaking out but I tried to show her climbing out from the background. I used different techniques than your tutorial. I notice that I used the same star burst but only on the background paper.

[​IMG]

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So cool! I don't know how I missed this before! Diane, I love your page! Such a fabulous execution and I love the mixed alphas too!