July Journaling Challenge

Discussion in 'July 2018 Challenges' started by cfile, Jun 27, 2018.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Welcome to a new month of challenges! I have the honor this month of hosting the July Journaling Challenge.

Have you ever listened to the radio (or your music collection) and hear a song that transports you in time to a memory? Perhaps you see a car that looks like your first car, and you get that magical flashback... The July Journaling challenge is all about the flashback!

When you see an ordinary everyday object, hear a tune, etc. what did you see or hear that triggers that FOND memory? That is what the July Journaling challenge is all about.. that fond memory, and a simple moment to document.

************************​
    I smile every year at Easter when the marshmallow "peeps" are on the store shelves, and I call my Aunt to let her know. It is a favorite memory of hers and she re-tells it to me every year...

The marshmallow peeps remind her of her Mom (my Grandmother) and my mother (her Sister). She and my Mom were 8 and 5 respectfully, and were playing out in the backyard sitting at the picnic table. My Grandmother came out and said to them both, did you see the Easter Bunny? He was just on the side of the house! With that, my Aunt and my Mom went running around to the side of the house to see if they could find him. They had no luck and walked back into the backyard, and sitting on the picnic table was a little Easter Basket for each of them with the mashmallow peeps in them. They were so sad from missing the Easter Bunny, but my Grandmother giggled watching them both squeal with delight that they missed him, but he delivered them goodies anyway.

While there my not be an actual "photo" of that memory, the story is sparked by the "peeps" that only come out once a year. These are the simple things that we forget until we see or hear something. That is what we want to journal about. If I were to document this story (which I may do down the road), I would get a photo of Marshmallow Peeps to accompany the story.

That is what I meant about a simple moment to journal.

My page today is a different memory sparked by the Hosta plants blooming on the side of my house. I took a few photos the other morning after my walk. I saw them and I immediately had this memory, again of my Grandmother, and the Hostas she had growing at her house when I was little.

[​IMG]
    ..................... [Credit: Dawn Inskip's June'18 M3 Add on He's All Mine Bundle ]

To make it real simple, here are the instructions for the Journaling challenge:

· Your page must contain at least 1 photo. (You can have more but at least 1 photo.)

· You must include at least 3 lines of journaling to explain the spark of memory. (You can have more lines of journaling, but it must be at least 3.)

As always: your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges' the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad (new prize starting with the July challenges)! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month' the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Hope you enjoy this challenge! I cannot wait to see your pages!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  2. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

You might need to move your layout to a public gallery. I click and it says "you don't have permission to view this." looking forward to your challenge!

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

Thank you... Sorry for the delay. I hope you enjoy the July Journaling challenge!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  4. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Great challenge Christa, my head is spinning...

cfile likes this.
  5. cfile

I can't wait to see your page Annemieke!

6. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Oh, I have one immediately. I just talked to a visiting lady at church this morning who has 5 kids, her youngest two are twins, a boy and a girl! It took me straight back to my childhood and the only photo we ever had taken with a Santa. It's of my twin brother and me, boy/girl twins. Whenever I meet anyone who has a boy/girl twin it reminds me of my twin brother and our childhood. It's been such a long time since I've seen him (over ten years), but I silently wish him a happy birthday every year on our birthday! *Sigh* I think I just did my journalling! :) Now to find that cherished photo that I've never quite been able to scrapbook before. I think it's time!

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Wonderful challenge, Christa and your page is gorgeous!! I love Hostas!

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

Oh I am so glad you will finally scrap this memory and I can’t wait to see it. I have a set of twin boy/girl cousins. :) good thing for face time.. maybe you can do that this year for your joint birthday if you live far away. My brother and I live 5 hours away so we face time and talk on the phone every week or so. He is older by 5 years but I miss him so! :)

9. cfile

thank you Cheryl! Can’t wait to see your page!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  10. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

This memory brought back so many fond memories. Thanks for the inspiration.
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  11. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

Here is mine, thank you so much for the challenge! I probably wouldn't have added this to my wedding album if not for this challenge and I'm glad to have recorded it <3

[​IMG]

wvsandy, bellbird and cfile like this.
  12. cfile

Oh Melissa, I already commented on your page, but to come here and see you probably wouldn't have added this to your wedding album if not for the challenge and your documenting the page brings happy tears to my eyes - really!! These are those little things we seem to forget, and wow.. Your little girls will be so thrilled to read this story and see this page and the meaning behind the perfume and cologne. Breathtaking and beautiful!!

bellbird likes this.
  13. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

I'm so pleased to have it down, like you say it's the little things that are important to document. Thank you so much for challenging me to do so :beat

cfile and bellbird like this.
  14. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

15. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Still getting used to the way things are done at The Lilypad. I posted my Journaling layout in the gallery, and the July Challenge Layouts site. Am I supposed to post it here too?

cfile likes this.
  16. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

17. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Yes. :yup

18. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Thank you for this challenge. Gave me a chance to tell the story of my favorite photo ever. :')
    [​IMG]

BevG, MrsEm, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  19. cfile

Yes Shar.. You would upload your layout to the challenge gallery- eg. Journaling challenge... then just copy the share BB (IMG) code on the right and post that code in the challenge thread (eg. here ) , and then your July Challenge Layouts thread too.

I see in the above thread you have done this already :) Hugs

SharLamb likes this.
  20. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

thanks for this challenge. i got another page done in my heritage book for our daughters.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.