July 2020 Book Club - Before I Let You Go

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

You can even comment now and if what you want to say is a spoiler, you can highlight the spoiler parts and turn the text color to white. Then people who haven't finished yet just skip over the white spoiler parts, but those that have read it just highlight the white text and it shows up for them. Try highlighting.... this would be the spoiler part .... what I have between the dots. The text color in the circle that's half white and half black next to the symbol for underlining above.

Carla likes this.
  2. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Definitely a book which will resonate with me for a while, although not one I would have probably chosen on my own! I will come back later to comment as I can’t type in white on the iPad.

comment

Wow! So many different issues in this story! I loved the close bond between Lexie and Annie which was never severed despite the terrible strain that Annie placed on it with her downward spiral into addiction. The journal was so central to providing some insight into, and sympathy with, Annie's character. Until I began reading that, I really disliked her and felt her to be manipulative and selfish.
    Like Karen, I also live in a protected bubble so I was very unaware of the familial issues which overtake a family's life when one member of the family is addicted. I can see how it would be a very fine line between helping someone and enabling them. I think there are always too many government resources devoted to punishment rather than treatment/education in so many different areas.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    SeattleSheri and Karen like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I finished the book yesterday after reading most of it the day before. I would have finished it at 2 a.m. but I couldn't keep my eyes open. It's one of those gripping, horrific kind of stories that I try to devour as fast as possible because it's too painful to draw out more slowly. Like ripping off a Band-aid. As a mom of kids dealing with depression and anxiety, I identified with Lexie's clashing feelings of optimism and hopelessness. Did anyone else find the conflict between Lexie and her husband Sam kind of annoying? The way he'd get mad at her for not thinking of asking him for help? It's not like she was being malicious. He seemed so kind and helpful otherwise, it seemed even weirder that he'd get mad at her just because she was trying to deal with things on her own. I've been doing a lot of heavy reading reading lately. I've got to find something light hearted soon.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

@michelepixels *>I also found that odd. It's a trait you don't see in anyone that often, but especially not men.<*

I should have written my commentary immediately after I finished the book, but got distracted!
    *>This book made me feel heartbroken for the Lexie character. While I don't doubt the drama she endured as a child had a profound impact on her, I also think there is an element of her personality that just didn't have the necessary stamina to overcome much adversity ... if that makes any sense. I don't truly understand addiction, so I had a difficult time understanding why she'd feel compelled to leave rehab after the worst was behind her.

I absolutely think the mom suspected something, but was too caught up in her own mental state to do anything to protect her daughters. IRL, I think it's unlikely we'd see a turn-around like we did in the book. Definitely an interesting read.
    <*

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  5. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I would never have picked this myself but was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and how quickly I read it. I had no idea such laws existed and were used that way.
    @michelepixels I felt bit sorry for him. I think he was just frustrated and feeling helpless. I thought he was remarkably tolerant, it took him a long time to get angry and she made some pretty big decisions without asking him (especially as they're supposed to be spending the rest of their lives together). I actually found the way she refused to ask for help and tried to do everything herself irritating and selfish. Given her upbringing she's probably got almost as many issues as her sister but deals with them differently.

Karen, janedee and michelepixels like this.
  6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

One of the reasons That I love book clubs is reading books that I would otherwise not even pick up. This would have been one of those books. While I guess I'm lucky that I do not personally know anyone who went through something like this, I'm no stranger to family drama. My oldest daughter is out of our lives, not due to drugs or alcohol, but just because of her constant lying. The last straw was when, at 33 years old she accused me of abusing her during her whole life. I told her she had to leave our home and start acting like an adult, get a job, and a life, and stop depending on us for everything.

OK, back to the story >>>>>So much drama, such a sad outcome. But as soon Annie left rehab, I knew she would be dead before the book ended.<<<<<

Karen likes this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This looks good. I put it on hold at the library.

Karen likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh gosh! I guess you certainly can relate to the family drama. So sorry that this happened to you. :(

I'm glad you liked the book though! And yes... agree with your hidden comment! I knew it too!

9. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I finally got around to reading this book so I have now read through all the comments others have made and I agree with most. Once I got towards the end I had to keep reading to see how it would end for Annie.
    This story came a bit close to heart for me but I will not share this here as it is very personal ( not for me but for a relative of mine )... I was so pleased the journal revealed that the overdose was accidental and so pleased that Robert received his punishment.

Karen likes this.