Jubilee | Pad Patter 5.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 18, 2022.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've been listening and running into some Londoners, and learned about Jubilee. Like, there are these boxes created and other fabulous things! This is totally foreign to this North America girl. So, I started to wonder - Is there something that your town, your state, your country, your heritage, does that the rest of us might find foreign and unique?

Like, Utah does this big Pioneer Celebration. And Massachusetts does a lot surrounding Lexington and Concord history from the American Revolution. And we ignored the Queen overall in Canada, no Jubilee there!

2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ha! That's news to me too. Only "Jubilee" I've ever heard of is the one from the Bible- the 50 year marked by debt forgiveness and many other things.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My town as a town has a lot of streets named for the Native American influence and the French influence that was in the area when it was formed. Even the town name has a a Native American influence. But then the town celebrates all things space related, especially having to do with the moon. We have a festival every summer in July called the "Summer Moon Festival" that usually happens as close to July 20th as possible.

So this small town has preserved the past and celebrates the future at the same time!

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We have a big arts festival every fall. I don't think that is necessarily unique, but I think it's a large one that is well attended and there's of course loads of art, food, and music.

We also have the Fiesta of Five Flags, a 10-day heritage events that celebrates the founding of Pensacola: America's first settlement by Spanish Conquistador, Don Tristan de Luna, in 1559.

We also have a robust group of individuals serving on a variety of krewes for Mardi Gras, so there are parades and balls, and all sorts of other events.

Honestly, there seems to be some kind of festival every weekend! LOL

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yeah, there are lots of festivals around this are of the state starting the 1st of June and going through mid-October. You could go to one every weekend. Also got to love the small towns celebrating their German heritage with the Oktoberfest every October! The small towns sure do love their festivals!

My town used to have the Indian Summer festival in September but moved it to July where it became the Summer Moon Festival. Both the downtown area and the museum are busy that weekend. Downtown streets are closed. Lots of visitors come into town then... more than when the festival was held in September.

We also have the big July 4th festival at the fairgrounds here in town. It is 2 days of fundraising for the local Catholic church that ends with the fireworks at 10:00 (11:00 if the 4th is on Friday or Saturday) on July 4th. Many of the Catholic churches in the small towns in the area have festivals to raise funds. So do the small volunteer fire departments in the area.

bestcee likes this.
  6. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We have lots of different small town events/festivals throughout the year. But probably the most unique is the Pumpkinfest. It happens every October. You bring a pumpkin and roll it down the big hill in town. There must be about 2,000 pumpkins that get rolled. If your's goes the farthest you win $100. LOL! It's funny because people stand on the side of the road and get hit all the time by the Pumpkins. It's hilarious to watch.

7. bestcee

That's pretty cool! And unique!

8. bestcee

That's really neat! I love that there's a celebration of Don Tristan de Luna, who is taught in 5th grade here!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  9. bestcee

I want to come just to see this! I bet some people get run over by pumpkins every year too!

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We have a very large Catholic population here so the schools are closed on Good Friday and there are multiple fish fries every Friday during Lent + the fast food restaurants sell fried fish sandwiches seasonally.

We also have a large Polish (although there is some Catholic crossover as well) population so we celebrate Dyngus Day the day after Easter. It's not a huge thing but there are definitely restaurants and churches who do things (mostly serve traditional Polish food) that day.