Journaling : How to

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by jenn mccabe, Jan 13, 2017.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Excellent post Jenn! I also feel strongly that the story is important. Sometimes the story is just a few words, some times it is a few paragraphs (or more!). The story is what connects us a humans. I am also a photographer, and love images so much. In my mind, the photo is the heart of memory keeping and the story is the soul.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

that is just beautiful Lori! should be a quote on a page. :)

lcpereyra likes this.
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@jenn mccabe , I wasn't having a go. Fair is fair, if it is 10 sentenses, it is 10 sentences for every one. I did enjoy the challenge very much, and didn't mind having to add a few full stops. LoL felt sorry for you that you had to count them all.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

This will be very helpfull Jenn!
    I don't have troubles with journaling, I can write a book about most pictures I scrap. My only 'problem' is that sometimes it's difficult to write in english

jenn mccabe likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I speak in run on sentences a lot because I'm married to someone who speaks in 4 or more paragraphs.

I've been fine with the journaling so far but I can certainly see how someone who does not think it's important feels left out. You can certainly scrap without journaling - I know a woman who has shelves of paper scrapbooks and it's all photos and stuff. Will her daughter know what the pages are about? yes, because they're all about this only child, now in her mid 20s. There are people who don't journal and that's a choice. Perhaps it's just not TLP style.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. crlin

crlin Well-Known Member

Good ideas! I never did like writing stories in school so it is a struggle for me. My problem is I write something then re- read it and think it sounds dumb so I start over and get nowhere! The challenges have been great though really got me thinking!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Journaling - love it or hate it? It just depends, I guess. I always have a story to tell with my pictures. Sometimes it might be just a line or two. Sometimes it's a paragraph. When I recently scrapped my pictures of my trip to London, Wikipedia was my best friend. It was perfect for all the historical places, and when I needed names, dates, and details, that I would never have remembered otherwise. I also grab all the pamphlets and guidebooks (free or otherwise) when I visited places because they are also a good source of information.

BevG and jenn mccabe like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So do we!

I totally see your point. But as the mom of an only child, I don't have that experience! I have the "Mommy, what's happening here?" experience. :( I can't wait for him to be able to read better and not ask me to tell him the stories! Ok, I can, because I love telling him the stories, but dang. It'll be nice when I don't have to always be the one to read it.

One of my tricks now is asking him what he remembers about the photo. He loves to tell stories about them, even when the stories are totally imagination! :lol

jenn mccabe likes this.
  9. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

Well, I teach English for a living, and I have to say that these are all excellent tips for writing in general! I share many of these same tips with my students when they are writing short stories and essays.

The hardest thing about journaling for me is not coming up with things to say (I always have lots to say), but making what I want to say fit the space on the page. In a template, I'll often click on a journaling box and begin telling my story, only to reach the end of the box and find that I still have two to three more sentences I want to write. I then have to either go back through my text and find places to cut and/or try to mess with my fonts and font sizes. This is especially tricky when I've deliberately arranged my journaling around elements rather than behind them so that it will still be visible to the reader. When I change font sizes, suddenly some of my journaling disappears behind a flower or something, and then I have to reconfigure everything. It can be time-consuming and tedious.

But I will say this - journaling is worth it in the end! When I go back and look at layouts I made 2-3 years ago and reread my journaling, I'm often reminded of details about my photos that I'd already completely forgotten. I'm always so pleased that I have those memories preserved so that they will never disappear forever. That is what scrapbooking is all about!

djp332 and jenn mccabe like this.
  10. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

@jenn mccabe - this post is made to be boodmarked by everyone who needs help with journaling!! Awesome reservoir of tips!!

I am one of those who loves to journal! Like some people said - I just think of my viewer - it's generally my son and sometimes my husband - I then write about what would I like to tell them when looking at the picture - the details ... the emotions ... maybe the before or after ? Whatever is relevant and whatever I would tell them in person if I were showing them the page ... that's how I love to do it at least and write my heart out :)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

These are some awesome tips about journaling. I have never been great about it, but it is one thing I'm working on. Like others have said, I'm trying to be mindful of those who will be looking at the pages in the future when I'm not around to tell the story behind the photo. But then I also have pages with no journaling because there isn't really a story, like a selfie or flower in my flower bed...it's just a date and time...maybe an attitude I can capture with a word art. As far as MOC, while I do struggle with it sometimes, they wouldn't be "challenges" if they were all easy :) I love the learning and stepping outside my box.

12. jenn mccabe

Yes - totally do this too! Depends on the photo. Sometimes there isn't much of a story - and a simple bit of Word art will do!

13. jenn mccabe

I never require the journaling be in English for my challenges. I respect the different language thing because I can't speak an ounce of Spanish or French and I took both for a few years. So hats off to all who know more than 1 language even a bit!

I will say for those that journal in their native language (other than English) I do appreciate a little hint/recap of what is going on in English if possible. That's always a nice thing to see. :)

14. jenn mccabe

Aww, Vivi - I know. I really did just see your point and Cynthia's @MrsPeel after hearing them. I just wanted you to know - I get it and it's true! Journaling is hard enough as it is ... I don't want to hinder the writing style of anyone who is attempting to do something that is a challenge. I plan to be mindful of these differences in the future. I kind of like writing in run on sentences and using lots of ... too ! :beat

Nemla likes this.
  15. jwalls39

jwalls39 Well-Known Member

I love the journaling challenges...especially since the past few years have been kinda rough, so it's like therapy to me depending on the page. Every picture tells a story...I guess I write as if I'm talking to you with a lot of "..."'s. I definitely do run-on sentences!