Journaling Font Size?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Keela, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Keela

Keela I have puppy fever!!

Anakin, my oldest son, asked me why I always use such small type for my journaling. I told him I liked the look of it...but, it got me thinking.

What size do you use?

I usually use 12pt, but you know...not all fonts are the same size!
    I scrap in 12x12 (print 8x8)...so, it does look pretty small when it's printed.

2. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

I usually use around 12pt depending on the font and then I print 10x10 so it is reduced. I've had a few 'complaints' from DH about it being too small so I have started to make it a little bit bigger and I've also noticed I've started using plainer handwriting fonts rather than fancy ones as they are easier to read.

3. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

between 12-20 but I use alot of type fonts so I think they need to be bigger sometimes as they are normally very small. I hide alot of my journaling too and that always confuses my DH :) but that's not hard to do!

4. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

I use somewhere between 14-20. I figure if I can easily read it at web-size I should be able to read it when it's printed.

5. AlliJ2008

AlliJ2008 Downsizing!

I probably go too small most of the time...depending on the font I even use 10 pt sometimes. I have noticed when I print (8x8) that there are times it is hard to read. I struggle with font color too b/c often I want it to look good on the LO more than I want it dark enough to read easily! Silly, I know.

6. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

somewhere around 12 to 16 usually, but it depends on the font. like you said, all fonts are not the same. but i also print in 12x12. if i were gonna print 8x8 i would go bigger. i once printed a page after downsizing and it ended up being junk because i couldn't at all tell what the journaling said.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to always to 14 pt no matter what... then I realized that sometimes the fonts can vary a lot, so now it's somewhere between 10 and 18 pt. I know when I'm old I'm probably going to be mad that I didn't make them bigger, but oh well. I could always pull up the .psd files in 40 years, right? HA!

8. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

Great discussion! I generally start at about 14 and go up. I love the LOOK of small font work, but I know my husband, kids, and whoever is reading my page will not appreciate it! I understand that some people do their pages more as art, but for me I always want to be sure my journaling and words are legible and always clear to see (so Kelly - I am with your hubby on that one, but I know I see that on a lot of pages and do love the look of it if the journaling isn't important!). So I guess it just depends on a lot of factors, but generally speaking, for me I like to make sure it is clear and big enough to read!

9. sillescrapper

sillescrapper New Member

I don't really have a set size. I tend to adjust the font to make it fit in the space I want it in. However, I do want to make sure it is easily readable so I probably end up with around 12. I won't go below 10 unless it is a date. I don't mind if you have to search and squint for that, as long as it is on there somewhere. I print 12x12.

10. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

i'm just like cindy.
    i don't have a set size. just whatever looks good on the page.
    and like mommatrish, i figure if i can read it websize. maybe they can read it printed. LOL
    i print 8x8 (when i print.... ROFL!)

11. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I have to confess..I have a long love affair with small font types. I used to go really eensy weensy...because it meshed with my scrapping style so well. The scale was just right. Now, I've gone a bit bigger, but so has the general scale of my designs, I'd say. So basically my rule of thumb is: I choose font size so that it looks cohesive size and scale wise with my page design. And this varies pretty widely. I'd say I'll use font sizes anywhere from 8-30.

I've also taken to printing out my journaling..so I have a journal/album that includes the journaling from my pages..I plan to place these in behind my pages in the albums, so that when I'm older and grayer I'll be able to revisit the words and read them clearly. I know it seems like TOO MUCH to do..but I've come to really love my journaling album. It's neat to "read" my memories and thoughts. And it's helpful for those pages where I do some hidden journaling as well.

12. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

oooh I will say...printing made a difference for me and contributed to my decision to begin my journaling journal. Some of my pages were difficult to read. Most were ok. I printed full 12x12.

13. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

This is me too! :D

14. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

This is such a great idea! And simple to do at home with an inkjet printer. I think I'm going to borrow this idea!

I just printed all my 2009 and 2010 pages in 11x11 (Inkubook didn't have 12x12) and the 12 point font seems just the right size. I know sometimes my journaling with bigger point fonts end up looking huge when printed, even though they look fine on the web.

15. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I usually use between 10 and 14. I like smaller journaling and I like for it to not overwhelm my page. I struggle with what color to use each time though. It drives me crazy.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  16. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

yes, the color sometimes drives me crazy too.
    I normally go somewhere between 12-18 depending on the font/readability. And if I print something that ends up looking too small, I try to correct it the next time I use that font.

Sara, tell me what you do with your journaling album? you do your awesome layout and then do a separate piece of paper with your journaling that you just tuck in behind your layout? that is a great idea.

17. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

print? wassat?

18. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

So I have this theory that when I print I'm going to print 8x8 because that's close to the size I see on my screen...I figure if it looks good to me on the screen it'll look good printed. I started with the intent to print 12x12 (that's the size i paper scrapped) but then I realized I would probably have to go back and do a whole lot of reworking the journaling because it would would be uber huge. I haven't printed anything yet (with 750 or so layouts sitting on my hard drive I'm completely overwhelmed) but when I do get around to it I sure hope my theory is right.

19. groenhop

groenhop Takes advice from 3 year olds.

I usually use 14pt -- I put the page at 50% and see if it is easy to read and that's how I pick my font size usually.

20. groenhop

groenhop Takes advice from 3 year olds.

haha.. that's me right there