January 5: Inspiration Board Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 2019 Challenges' started by HeyJude, Jan 5, 2019.

1. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

Hello fellow MOC scrappers! Can you believe we are already nearing the end of the first week of MOC 7? I am so excited to be hosting a challenge again this year, and it is one of my favorite types too - an inspiration challenge.

I love inspiration based challenges because they give me the freedom to set my own creative parameters, but with an inspirational boost to get the creative mojo flowing. Inspiration boards are one of my favorite motivational tools. There are different types of inspiration boards but two of the most common ones are Mood Boards and Vision Boards. Mood boards are used by designers and artists as inspiration for their artistic projects. For example, many digital designers use mood boards to inspire them when they are creating scrapping kits. Vision boards, on the other hand, are collages of images, pictures and words that are designed to serve as a source of inspiration for achieving goals and dreams. This Challenge will require you to use a mood board to inspire your layout design and the idea behind a vision board to inspire your layout theme.

Without further ado, here is the mood board I created to inspire your layout design for this challenge:

[​IMG]

To celebrate the 5th day of MOC, your challenge is to choose at least five (5) items from the mood board above that inspire your design, and create a page that highlights a goal or dream that you want to achieve.

Design inspiration can come from anything on the mood board - an object, photo treatment, quote, font type, colors, block design, etc. You are not required to choose five (5) different photos on the mood board, only five different things (they can all be from the same photo if that is what inspires you). Just make sure you list the five (5) things that inspired your design in your gallery credits and in your post in this thread.

In addition to gathering design inspiration from the mood board, the theme of your layout should focus on a particular hope, dream or goal that you want to accomplish. This part of the challenge is perfect for those of you who choose a word each year on which to focus, or those who made New Year’s resolutions that you want memorialize. Remember, it can be any goal or dream. You may create your layout in any style you choose (clean and simple, graphic, layered, art journal, etc.).

Here is my layout.

[​IMG]

The layout focuses on my goal to sketch every day in 2019 and includes some of my recent portrait sketches.

My design was inspired by the following:

1. The painted portrait by Amedeo Modigliani (which was the reference for the large sketch on the layout).

2. Cluster of flowers.

3. Photo collage from the bottom right photo.

4. Paint Splatters from the umbrella photo.

5. The color palette (See the January BYOC Collection in the Lilypad Store).

Recap of Challenge Requirements:

(1) Create a page that focuses on a hope, dream or goal that you want to achieve. Be sure to share your hope/dream/goal in your credits if it is not obvious from the layout.

(2) Use at least five (5) things from the mood board I created above that inspire the design of your layout. List those five (5) things in your gallery credits and in your post in this thread.

(3) Have fun and be inspired. :)

General Requirements:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

NancyBeck, cinna, berniek and 6 others like this.
  2. HeyJude

Updates and clarifications to my challenge will be posted here as necessary.

3. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

HA! I literally just posted a layout for Day 2 that focused on and was titled Goals! No worries though, it was specific to an event . . . I can go broad! This will be the theme for the weekend for me!

bestcee likes this.
  4. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Ok! Off to do this now! :) Thanks for posting so soon! I've been waiting all day here (Saturday and nothing to do but stalk TLP!)! :) (I'm 16 hours ahead of EST!)

Vrielinkie, cinna and bestcee like this.
  5. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Question, are we able to use the quotes that you used on your mood board? Is there somewhere that we can get them from? I'd like to use some of those! :)

6. HeyJude

You may absolutely use any or all of the quotes on the mood board! I don't have them in 300 dpi card form, though. I found them on Pinterest. You might try Googling or searching on Pinterest for them, or create your own journaling card with your choice of font. :)

Trish likes this.
  7. HeyJude

FYI - the "You can't start the next chapter" quote is available in the A New Me Extras BYOC kit by Little Butterfly Wings. It is in a scribbly art journal style.

Heidi Nicole and Angela Toucan like this.
  8. HeyJude

It is almost 1:00 a.m. my time, so I am off to get some sleep. I will be back in the morning to check in and answer any questions that were posted during the night. :)

violaine, weaselwatchr and pagefrocks like this.
  9. tracymonica

tracymonica Well-Known Member

Hello :) I do have a question. Is the color palette above just a suggestion or something that we have to use?

10. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I created an ATC for this challenge. My inspirations from the mood board were - lady with long neck, color swatch, umbrella, drips, "Follow Your Purpose" wordart. I love how this came out:
    [​IMG]

11. A-M

A-M Swirling & twirling in my red petal skirt

My inspiration from the Mood Board: 1. Colours; 2. Follow your purpose; 3. Woman with images of self ; 4. Umbrella ( need for protection); 5. Feathers - birds which to me makes me think of freedom

[​IMG]

Mumma848, LynnG, Trish and 8 others like this.
  12. Eyeore

Eyeore Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    My inspiration was
    1. The colour pallete and addition of circles
    2. Some flowers
    3. Quote on a light background
    4. Splatters from the umbrella piece
    5. Journaling on a black square
    My goal is to do what needs to be done, but still find the joy and show a smile to the world. Hence my duck quote.

LynnG, flowersgal and weaselwatchr like this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

The color palette is one of the pieces of the mood board for inspiration. You can choose 5 other things to inspire you. You don't have to use the colors.

KellyM likes this.
  14. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I think I'm understanding the rule #1 correctly, but would like to confirm before I finish my layout. I know what my dream / goal is for 2019, but I don't want to do a ton of journaling on the layout since its meaning is obvious to me. If I understand right, I can explain in the comments how my layout is an inspiration?

Thanks!

LynnG likes this.
  15. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

[​IMG]
    From the board:
    1. Colors
    2. Cluster
    3. Face.
    4. Quotes.
    5. Splatters.
    Fantastic challenge and I had to dig deep. I made the page about my daughter since we have a lot of talk about what way she is going and where she will be in the future.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    LynnG and flowersgal like this.
  16. SheriScraps

SheriScraps Active Member

My inspiration from the mood board was 1. b&w photo 2. quote 3. colored rain 4. umbrella 5. rose color
    The umbrella is blocking the "fear" which is in the disguise of colored rain.
    [​IMG]

rrred68, staciahall and Christina W like this.
  17. tracymonica

tracymonica Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

bestcee likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I believe that's the palette of the current Jan BYOC.. .

KittyY likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

There's no journalling requirement for this page. As far as I understand it, you just need the dream or goal to be on there & represented using your 5 inspiration points from Judy's board (eg. Using the colour palette & a quote plus 3 more ways the board inspired you)

20. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

Her are my 5 inspiration points from the mood board:
    1. Colors
    2. Quote
    3. Face
    4. Style - I think I see a art journal style tucked away in there
    5. Flower Cluster
    and here is my layout:
    [​IMG]