January 3 - Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 11 Challenges' started by dawnmarch, Jan 3, 2023.

1. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

January 3: Photography Challenge

Welcome to Day 3 of our Month of Challenges for 2023! I could not be more excited to be hosting my very first challenge ever as a Guest Polly!

As a photographer, I'm always looking for ways to give my photos more impact and one way to do that is with a composition technique called "leading lines." Leading lines are lines (such as paths, walls, roads, etc.) in your photo that draw your eye from one part of the frame to another -- usually drawing the viewer in from the foreground to the background (but not always; they can go sideways too!) Although this composition technique is often used in landscape photography, it can also be used in other types of photography. If you've ever seen a portrait of someone standing on the path of a railroad track, you've seen the effectiveness of leading lines. You can find tons of examples online if you want inspiration. I flipped through some of my own photos to find examples, old and new, film and digital, color and b&w:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a page using one of the photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photo Challenge requirements:
    The requirements are simple: take at least one photo with leading lines and scrap a page using the photo or photos. Since this is a photography challenge, your photo must be a new photo taken today or after today. The photo must be taken by you; using stock photos or photos taken by others will not be allowed for this challenge.

And, of course, the usual MOC guidelines apply:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). Product from other stores will not be allowed for MOC; your pages must contain 100% Lilypad product (current or retired product from designers or guest designers presently selling at The Lilypad).

Thanks for playing along!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    G.J., crazsquaw, bellbird and 4 others like this.
  2. dawnmarch

Feel free to ask questions too if anything is unclear. :)

Keep in mind - as some people note below - that the photo does not have to be outdoors. Once you start looking, there are potential leading lines everywhere, like table edges, hallways, walls, wood grain, etc. there are some great examples in the thread below!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    crazsquaw likes this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

This is going to be fun! I'll think about it tonight and photograph / scrap first thing in the morning.

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. mmbstaley

mmbstaley Well-Known Member

does it have to be a new photo, or can I use one taken earlier?

5. dawnmarch

It must be a new photo. Thanks for asking - I should have made that clear.

6. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Darn - I wish I had taken one of my pics tomorrow! I was at a Christmas light maze and I took a picture looking up from the inside of a lit up tree! The lines were amazing!

8FFB9547-7503-4D5B-A1AB-CF461BC5EF5C.jpeg
    But it gives me an opportunity to do an outside photo shoot with my daughter!!!

wvsandy, jk703 and Angela Toucan like this.
  7. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This could be a tricky thing for me as I’m not really in a position to get/take new photos unless my situation drastically changes, luckily it’s still early enough in MOC to figure it out.

jk703 likes this.
  8. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

You can find leading lines in almost anything around you, it doesn't necessarily have to be an outdoor photo. For example, the edge of a couch, a rug, or a pice of furniture leading to a focal point.

9. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing as Roxana. The first thing I thought of was putting an object on a table, close to the edge, and taking the picture with the edge of the table leading to the object. I once took a photo of my feet, wrapped up in compression garments before a surgery, in bed, and the sides of the bed created leading lines to my feet! LOL I'm sure you'll find something creative, @littlekiwi !

10. BLKinOR

BLKinOR Well-Known Member

I, also, was intrigued by both the comment and response from @littlekiwi and @Roxana . I looked around for a few minutes considering what I could photograph before I went to bed. As I blew out the candle on the dining room table, I again was surprised that it was burning weeks after I considered tossing it for a new one and then realized that it had leading lines. I re-lit the candle and took about 20 photos before I found one that demonstrated the edges and lines leading to the flame. Excited with this unusual photo, I decided to create the layout before going to bed.

[​IMG]

Frede, KarenB, Jan and 11 others like this.
  11. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Our little home ( our unit) is just the left of the start of this pathway.
    [​IMG]

13. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

Thanks Dawn for letting me know of my error. Today I went up early to get a photo feom my window with my star and blinds :) It's dark in Sweden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    KarenB likes this.
  14. Skivvy

Skivvy Well-Known Member

I took this photo of my trusted mountainbike patiently waiting for me. The leading lines of the ballustrading makes it look like it is ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Mrsdudds, myka, KarenB and 1 other person like this.
  15. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

I went out at noon today and it wasn't so cold, and also I was lucky that the path that I like was empty, because there are no benches in that part I guess and the kids are at school. Sorry for the quality, but I think it looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

KarenB, Jess Claire Creates and Dady like this.
  16. dawnmarch

I feel like that happens to me every year- I take the perfect photograph the day before the photo challenge! :lol but any new excuse for a photo shoot is a good thing!

crazsquaw likes this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

18. Dannisa

Dannisa Active Member

19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks, Dawn, for the fun challenge. I got my inspiration for taking the photo of my shamrock from @BLKinOR from her gorgeous candle. I originally did not think in that direction. The lines in the leaves leading you to the center of the shamrock or even the stems leading you up to the shamrock. Both wonderful lines! I am thrilled to use my Shamrock as that is part of home to me :)

[​IMG]

BevG, KarenB, Jan and 4 others like this.
  20. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

I’m taking this as a true challenge. I’m a sardine in a car today as we travel south. Our daughter is with us, so we are *very* tight on space. If I can find some “lines” in the car, to illustrate my claustrophobic situation, it would be fun! I’ve got my laptop, so I can scrap while there is battery….

crazsquaw, BLKinOR and LynnG like this.