January 25: Use photo as background

Discussion in 'MOC 2019 Challenges' started by keepscrappin, Jan 24, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Hey, hey scrappers! Your challenge today, should you chose to accept is to use a photo as your background. Normally, a paper is used as the background layer, but today you are going to use a BIG photo as your background. So instead of checking your stash for a background paper, you're going to check your photo file! Once you have your photo background, you'll add elements and papers on it, just like a standard layout.

Don't overthink this challenge, keep it simple. Just use a photo as your background and make your layout on top of it. The easiest way to do this is to use a BIG photo with some room around your subject instead of a paper as your background layer. Leaving room around your subject will give you space to add additional elements. If in doubt, look at my examples and make your layout similar to mine. Note that the background photo fills the entire layout and is visible on all edges of the layout.

Here's my layout.
    [​IMG]
    Credits: Shimmer by One Little Bird and Simply Clean No. 8 (flipped) by Designed by Soco

And here are some other examples that meet the requirements of this challenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CHALLENGE REQUIREMENTS
    • Use ONE single BIG photo as your background. You may add more photos to your layout, but the background of your layout must be one photo. Note: The background is the bottom layer in your layout.
    • The background photo MUST FILL THE ENTIRE BACKGROUND LAYER and BE VISIBLE ON ALL EDGES of your layout.
    • The background photo must be used as a basic standard photo, meaning you CANNOT BLEND your BIG photo with a paper or another photo.
    • Finish your page by adding other TLP product. You wouldn't do a page with just a background paper and a title, so you need to add additional product over your photo (following the MOC 75% rule). Your layout CANNOT just have a BIG photo and a font title.
    GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

crazsquaw, Ferdy, Karen and 10 others like this.
  2. keepscrappin

Saving this spot for Questions and Answers.

Your background MUST BE PROMINENT in your layout, so I can clearly see you used a photo as your ENTIRE background.

Q: Does it have to be full strength or can we "dilute" it?
    A: Good question, it MUST be full strength like a standard photo - NO BLENDING or LOWERING OPACITY of the background photo. See my examples. They are full opacity. Think of it like in paper scrapping where you would have a BIG photo printed and then you would use that photo as the base (background) to build your layout on.

Q: I get what you mean by not blended and full opacity. Can it be black and white or sepia?
    A: Yes, it can be a standard black and white or sepia photo.

Q: Are We Allowed To Linear Frame Or Add Border Around The Large Photo Background?...Thanks RJ
    A: No paper borders around the edges of the photo, the photo MUST go to the outside edges of your layout. However, you are allowed to make a border on top of the photo a little inside of the edges. Like the stitching on this layout by @cfile Christa.
    [​IMG]

Q: I hope it's permissible for me to have used some grunge in one corner?
    A: Yes, this is permissible as long as I can see that the photo is the ENTIRE background AND the bottom layer of your layout with the grunge painted on top.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Karen likes this.
  3. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Does it have to be full strength or can we "dilute" it?

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

And yet another fabulous challenge!!! But----off to bed for now and looking forward to playing with this in the morning.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

Good question, it MUST be full strength like a standard photo. See my examples. They are full opacity.

umyesh likes this.
  6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I love big photo pages!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. KairynLisa

KairynLisa Wouldn't make it as a fighter pilot

Another great challenge! Thanks, Kayla!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. *gina*

*gina* Love to leave gallery love!

Thank you for this gorgeous challenge, Kayla @keepscrappin
    I used my own photos - taken on our walk last Sunday

[​IMG]

Lisa B, patsyt, wvsandy and 4 others like this.
  9. keepscrappin

Ok scrappers. It's past my bedtime here, so I'm heading to bed. I'll check in first thing in the morning. When in doubt, look at my examples and follow my lead. Don't overthink it and just enjoy scrappin!

tracymonica likes this.
  10. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

This challenge was a great way to scrap this goofy photo! (We got the 8x10 when we checked into the resort!)

[​IMG]

Doramiyi, Lisa B, julianz and 11 others like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a great challenge, Kayla! I'm loving all of the wonderful pages so far.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

Easy challenge for me, but I enjoyed it. Thanks for the great idea.
    [​IMG]

14. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

15. Eyeore

Eyeore Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Great challenge thanks.

16. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

17. mrsashbaugh

mrsashbaugh Well-Known Member

It's a miracle I did a challenge on the day of a challenge! Thanks so much for the challenge @keepscrappin!
    [​IMG]

n33, Doramiyi, Aerobigirl and 15 others like this.
  18. Mum23ms

Mum23ms Active Member

19. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Thank you for the fun challenge.

[​IMG]

20. metchley

metchley Active Member

Thanks for the challenge, photo challenges are my favorites!
    [​IMG]