January 24th - Pieces of Us. (Photography Challenge)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by aballen, Jan 24, 2018.

1. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

January 24th - Pieces of Us. (Photography Challenge)

Hello everyone and welcome to Day 24th of MOC!

Today we will be using the triptych technique to tell our story through pictures. So, what is triptych?

Noun\plural noun: triptychs,
    1. A painted or carved triptych typically has three hinged panels, and the two outer panels can be folded in towards the central one.
    2. A literary or musical triptych generally consists of three closely related or contrasting themes or parts.

Triptychos.jpg

Triptych derives from the Greek triptychos ("having three folds"), formed by combining tri- ("three") and ptychē ("fold" or "layer"). Although triptych originally described a specific type of Roman writing tablet that had three hinged sections, it is not surprising that the idea was generalized first to a type of painting, and then to anything composed of three parts.

Today we are going to try and follow this principle of three but with a little twist.

Your challenge is:

1. Take three NEW pictures (close up/zoomed in) of you or someone close to you. This can be a family member, friend, or pet.
    2. You shouldn't see the entire body of the subject in one photo, nor-should it be the same part in each picture. For example, you could take photos of the face, hands and feet.
    3. You have to place these pictures in a row (horizontal or vertical).
    4. You must scrap a new page for this challenge.

Here are some examples I found online to give you a better idea of what it should look like.
    MOC24-Example-pic.jpg
    Here's my page for this challenge:
    [​IMG]

Here's a recap of the requirements for this challenge:
    1. Take three NEW pictures (close up/zoomed in) of you or someone close to you. This can be a family member, friend, or pet.
    2. You shouldn't see the entire body of the subject in one photo, nor-should it be the same part in each picture. For example, you could take photos of the face, hands and feet.
    3. You have to place these pictures in a row (horizontal or vertical).
    4. You must scrap a new page for this challenge.

I can't wait to see your pages!!!

General Requirements:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  2. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

Pooh. I guess I'm not scrapping tonight since everyone is in bed and they'd probably kill me if I took photos with a flash of them sleeping . . . . :(

MrsGaramer, Vrielinkie, Dalis and 7 others like this.
  3. aballen

You can create your page tonight and then add the pictures tomorrow, :D

Dalis, jaharvey and Neverland Scraps like this.
  4. Neverland Scraps

Okay, since I have a "I hate having my photo taken" child.......got a question for you. If I let him play the xbox (something he's not allowed to do until closer to bedtime, so you know I'm trying :D ) and photograph him while he's playing. Can I photograph his face, his controller and a closer view of his hands on the controller? Or does it have to be like face, body, feet because he'll get really annoyed and get angry with me invading his personal space.

I have to figure a way to have him let me photograph him without it turning in to a really bad day for him (and myself). There's a reason why he's not in a lot of my photos because I take him to professionals to get photos---and that's been maybe two times in his almost five years of life! :D And if he's in the photos, he's probably blurry or not looking at the camera!

5. Neverland Scraps

Only if I know what photos I can capture....that will determine how I scrap this layout.
    Might just go to bed and pray this little boy lets me photograph him tomorrow doing something without screaming at me and turning in to a little demon. I don't know why he's so scared of the camera. He has never liked it.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Does he take bribes? I know there was a scrapbooker who paid her teens for photos. $5 for 10 minutes or something?:giggle

7. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have been known to bribe with Pez... :giggle

jesskab, ashleywb, Jems and 4 others like this.
  8. aballen

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I actually had a hard time photographing anyone in my family, so in the end I opted to take pictures of myself. :D
    You can take a picture of his face, a closer view of his hands while holding the controller and maybe the way he sits while he plays. As long as you don't see his whole body in the picture I think it will work. Good luck!!

Neverland Scraps likes this.
  9. Neverland Scraps

I wish he did!! He's a stinker and is too smart for his own good. He took us almost two years to potty train. He's so smart, always a step ahead of us, but so scared of everything especially failing. Photographing is nothing compared to going to the doctor. His doctor sits on one side of the room and evaluates him that way. Shots are miserable (he needs some next month). If they get close to him, he breaks down and that's it for a little while. I don't know what his issue is with the things that causes a meltdown. The children's psychologist that we saw for a couple of months said he's not autistic, sensory-issue, etc., just a strong-willed child who knows what he wants and won't bend for anyone, including his parents. Seriously, he's a great kid. Very well-behaved. But if you invade his space or do something that bothers him (which isn't much now that we know what his triggers are), he melts and it's hard for him to come out of it. I dread what he is going to be like at school and around other kids who like to push buttons.

10. Neverland Scraps

While rocking him tonight for bed, I told him he wasn't playing any xbox or watching tv tomorrow, so he's going to ask a lot of questions. But I'll try. The photos won't be the greatest since I know it'll be phone photos. He gets really agitated when he sees the DSLR. Oh my goodness, you should have seen our family photos in November. I didn't even get any they were THAT bad! :O

I am not a selfie person, so that will not be happening. Trust me, you don't want to hear my thoughts on selfies. I keep those thoughts to myself as I do not partake in selfies. Every once in a while, I'll snap a photo of the kids and I, but never by myself.

And thank you....I'll make sure you don't see his entire body. It might be stretching it a little, but I'll try to get in details without invading his space. Maybe tell him he can play for 30-minutes while I make the beds and come in to snap a few photos.

11. aballen

@Neverland Scraps I actually took the pictures whit my phone, :yup Self timer was an awesome thing to use, :D Remember that you can always crop the pictures afterwards, so you can take them from a safer distance. All of my pictures are slightly cropped.

ashleywb and Neverland Scraps like this.
  12. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

This should be fun!

bestcee and aballen like this.
  13. aballen

That's the spirit!! :agree:clap

14. scraptraci

scraptraci June Cleaver

have you perhaps let him try using the camera to take photos then maybe he will have a better attitude toward it. just a thought. also could one of your photos be the back of his head while he's playing that way he doesn't know you are taking that first one

AdrienneMay and HavaDrPepper like this.
  15. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh, this sounds like so much fun!!! I can get my picture and our daughter, but hubby will have to wait until he gets home from work.

One question: you show all the examples with a face on top, some middle part, and then feet. Are we supposed to make a composite person with the photos?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  16. Neverland Scraps

That's what I figured I would do, which I know the quality of cropping won't be the greatest. I'll make it work somehow. I just didn't know if you needed head, body, feet or if my approach of this and that mash would work.

My husband said to maybe sit opposite of him in the room against the wall "playing with my phone" and with the volume turned off just snap photos of him playing, hopefully a few of them look decent. That way he won't know I'm taking photos, as he'll hopefully think I'm playing on my phone. And if the photos don't turn out, no one says I have to print/keep that page. I can always save the tiff file and when I get photos of him playing, (I'm sure I can get photos in the next few months), I can insert those instead. See, I'm already planning on the "what if's" if I can't get the photos to work out. ;) Between you assuring me the photos I snap "should" be fine, my husband texting me ideas/suggestions so that he doesn't know and sleeping on it tonight, I might be able to get something without him melting down for the morning! And he gets to play Minecraft while I figure it out! :D

I've tried this (I'm so laughing right now). I'll have him try to take selfies all the time or take photos of Mama, but once the phone is in his hands, wham...he's figuring out how to download new apps or find Minecraft that's loaded on my phone. He's a stinker, very technological especially with those Apple products! :O

The back of the head is brilliant, except our sofa is against the wall. I couldn't get the back of his head unless he decided he'd willingly let me photograph him. (are we expecting snow tomorrow?! :D )

I'll see how he is in the morning....fingers crossed for a happy 4-year old, willing to let Mama take photos and scrap this layout that's already envisioned in my head. <3

17. aballen

No need to make a composite person. I just happened to like the look of it. There's also the example of the baby at the very top, which it's slightly different.

Neverland Scraps and Pachimac like this.
  18. Pachimac

Have you ever given him the camera and let him fire off a few shots of his world and things he likes? Maybe it will take some of the mystique away from the camera. Just a thought....

19. Pachimac

Ok cool!!! This is a stretch for me as I’m not much of an artsy photographer...but I’m
    Game!!!

20. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you so much for this gorgeou challenge
    Here is my page
    [​IMG]