January 24: Customizing Premade Clusters for the Cluster-Challenged Scrapper (Technique Challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by keepscrappin, Jan 23, 2017.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Hey, Hey MOC scrappers. Are you ready for your next challenge?

Today we will be using a premade cluster and customizing it to make it our own for a quick and easy cluster on our layout without having to be a clustering pro.

The idea is to have some of your premade cluster under your photo(s) and 2 or more other items on top of your photo(s) to customize it and make it look like you put the cluster all together layer by layer; when in fact, most of the clustering was already done for you by the designer.

The Bella Gypsy sisters have graciously provided us with a freebie for this challenge. It is a sample of their Whimsies line and has the premade cluster along with the individual elements that make up the cluster. Having the individual elements separately is such a time saver for this technique as you don't have to extract anything to make it look like your photo is part of the cluster.

[​IMG]
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/Harmony-Whimsy-Digital-Scrapbook-Element-Pack.html

Ok - Let's get started. You are required to use the provided freebie Harmony Whimsy for your layout. You can resize it, hide part of it, duplicate it, and change it up however you'd like, but I must be able to still tell that you've used the premade cluster. You must customize the premade cluster by adding 2 or more additional items on top of your photo so they sandwich your photo with the premade cluster underneath your photo. You are also allowed to use other kits and elements to customize your cluster and make your layout. Please remember the 75% current TLP requirement when selecting items for your layout.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Click on image to see in layout credits in the gallery.

Here's what I did in the steps in the images above.
    1. Started with a premade cluster.
    2. Added my photo.
    3. Got a photo cluster that needs a little more. Looks lonely.
    4. Added the separate heart element that is included in the freebie whimsy pack.
    5. Got a photo cluster that looks great and like the items were layered intentionally.
    6. Customized my cluster further by adding the butterfly (included in freebie) and string (from Bella Gypsy's Shine kit).
    7. Ended the steps with a beautiful, customized cluster that you'd think I designed myself with the photo in mind.
    8. Then, I finished off my layout with a paper strip at the top, wordart and date.
    Requirements:
    1. Use the included Bella Gypsy Harmony Whimsy freebie PREMADE cluster (the one with everything together on one layer - it's the file named bellagypsy_harmony_whimsy.png) to make a new layout. I must be able to still tell that you've used the premade cluster.
    2. You must customize the premade cluster by adding 2 or more additional items on top of your photo.
    3. You must customize the premade cluster so part of your cluster is on TOP OF the photo, and part is UNDERNEATH the same photo. You may use more than one photo, but the cluster needs to sandwich one photo.
    4. Don't be afraid of premade clusters. You can and should use them to look like a clustering pro. Have fun and keep scrappin!

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and NOT an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread that you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also POST and LINK your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC layout thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

ETA: If you need to know how to upload your layout to the TLP gallery and link it back here in this thread. Anne has made a wonderful tutorial for you.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/how-to-get-your-layout-right-in-the-gallery-and-forum.46624/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Holy cow Kayla, this is so much better than the pre-made page we had to customize that time! It's such a beautiful cluster from the girls.

3. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

never heard of premade clusters but, being "cluster challenged," this looks like a great idea. Eager to give it a try. This ATC is what I came up with.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Love this idea!

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

jesskab likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I never knew that they included the individual items, wow - that's wonderful. Thanks for the cluster I will be back with the layout.

Dalis and keepscrappin like this.
  7. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

This is so cool. I learned something new and no extracting involved. And I know a good picture maybe.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

This is really pretty! Do we need to use all of the elements in the premade cluster? Or can we make some of them invisible?

9. gwtwred

Also, can we move around the elements in the cluster?

10. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Cool challenge and cluster. Thanks!

11. carilyne

from the original post hiding between images

Ok - Let's get started. You are required to use the provided freebie Harmony Whimsy for your layout. You can resize it, hide it, duplicate it, and change it up however you'd like, but I must be able to still tell that you've used the premade cluster. You are also allowed to use other kits and elements to customize your cluster and make your layout. Please remember the 75% current TLP requirement when selecting items for your layout.

12. gwtwred

I saw that, I'm just not sure how loosely it can be interpreted. For example, as of right now, I have erased the brass metal circle but kept the silver one. I've also moved the butterfly and deleted the metal star. I hope all of that is okay.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. carilyne

Sounds like it's still recognizable and used in your layout. That doesn't sound like you've changed that much. Just my opinion until an official one arrives Let's try tagging them @keepscrappin @mrs2a50

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

First of all, this is a wonderful cluster and thank you Bella Gypsy for letting us use it. Second, this challenge sounds like fun. Much different that what I thought it would be when I read the topic heading (I'm one of the cluster challenged...). Thanks for such an interesting challenge and I bet I'll learn some new things too.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou Bella Gypsy for being so generous with what you are giving us to play with. Hopefully I will return soon with a layout.

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. carilyne

This isn't the picture I was thinking of, I'll have to try that tomorrow. I was working with the pics before this and remembered this one and thought it might work.
    [​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. gwtwred

Hope this is okay:

[​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. elk2009

elk2009 Hello, gorgeous

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    AliSarah, kendrawalter, BevG and 3 others like this.
  19. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Can't wait to start on this. Great challenge and that cluster is beautiful :)

20. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thank you for the gorgeous cluster and the fantastic tutorial. I never knew how great the whimsies are. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

aballen, JenniferJ and keepscrappin like this.