January 24: Art Journaling

Discussion in 'MOC Challenges' started by Dalis, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I know some of you have been patiently waiting for this :heartlub and others are a bit scared about it :pigout. It is ok.

Let me talk to you a bit of what I think AJ is. I want you to think of it like a diary, where you only get to share what YOU want to share and WHEN you want to share it. Sometimes I start with a quote I see or a color or sometimes I am restless and my head is buzzing and I just sit and start LITERALLY adding all the elements in a kit into a background. Then I click the little visibility button (the little eye in PS or CS) and start making one by one appear and see if it "talks" to me. If that element has any relevance to what I am feeling right now. Sometimes just one single element can make my entire disposition change and my page take a new route. I know this is all very HOCUS POCUS talk, but it really is about putting in "paper" how you feel about anything, or anyone. It is about putting down your feelings of that specific time in your life.

For this challenge you have a few options, because not all of us will end up with an AJ that is messy. Art Journal pages do not have to be messy, they can be clean, they MUST be YOU! You just need to find your inner-art journaler. Here are your options. NOTE: In both options I want to be able to see Word Arts that express a feeling.

1. Go messy, go BIG! Use everything AND the kitchen sink, let your imagination go and do not stop until you think your AJ page is done! Use more than one Word Art about your feeling. (the WAs can be one word or more complex ones)

2. Thread with caution. It is ok, to be a bit scared and thread with caution! Expressing your feelings is a scary thing! Use one Word Art to express your feelings. Keep it clean but give it a bit of an artsy look. Try it, you probably will like it!

PS. If you want more techniques or more about Art Journaling you could go to our Art Journaling area here in our forum. Search for "technique" to find a few fun technique challenges, videos and tutorials.

Do you need some inspiration? Check out our Arj Journaling Gallery!

I am going to post some samples here of both possibilities, again these are just for inspiration, yours does not have to look anything like this, just will be MORE like YOU and your "feeling".

MESSY!
    [​IMG]

CLEAN/Artsy
    [​IMG]

Can you be so lucky as to have two wonderful Pad members do an almost side to side comparison of MESSY and CLEAN using the same kit? YES!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I feel like I need to show you a couple more of CLEANER versions of AJ, so you really believe me they exist, ok? Here they are.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The rules are as follows: Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Please post your page in your page thread you created in this folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Joamosatcharterdotnet

Joamosatcharterdotnet New Member

Dalis I love your explanation on the AJ and the options you gave here it really helps with many who are a bit nervous with AJ...I agree with your techniques...I just throw anything on the page and if it looks good I go with it if not then I just delete simple as that--a fave quote can set the mood for AJ...

3. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Still scared, but will enjoy the challenge. Your explanation has really helped :)

4. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Gonna give it a go! Not my thing but will do my best...

5. Dalis

YAY!...

Karen and Anyone else,
    If you have any questions of hesitations, just let me know here in the thread or by PM. I am super duper happy to help you all out to become an Art Journaler, it will be my honor to help! Seriously, I am super giddy about it!!!!

6. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Aww thanks Dalis. I'm just off to check out the AJ gallery...

7. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

yes, that's what I do, put it all on the page, shuffle it around and your done, and dont' forget to have fun!!!!

8. Dalis

OMG YES, How did I forget that! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Try to enjoy the process, even in my super dark page that I posted here, I was enjoying the process of letting go of all the frustration.

9. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

Dalis!!! this is my nightmare!!! lol :)

you remember in one of the chats you had mentioned that your challenge is the opposite of c&s? since then I had been suspecting that you probably had this in mind! not that it made me any better prepared! :))

glad you gave us two options sweetie...that will surely help!! :)

off to do some thinking now!

=====

10. thomsen

thomsen Olive Juice ...

What a luck I was working on an art journaling page before this came up...

[​IMG]

11. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

YAY! My happy day!

12. Ruthe14

Ruthe14 Branch Manager of my family

Not my thing........this one scares me.........giving it a go. I don't think I'm the "messy" type....we'll see!

13. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

Love, love, love this challenge! I am also a just throwing it on and see how it goes kind of art journaler. One thing I love is to use different blend modes on layers of paper.

14. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

15. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

wonderful examples and how to... thanks....i am wanting to use the m3 for this month and i had a previous subscription i am trying to sign up again for a subscription but it wont let me... ugh... how can i get help so i can use this collection...

16. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

17. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooo don't want to do it ........... I've hated every single thing I have created in the past for similar challenges and couldn't delete them from my hard drive fast enough.

18. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

think of it as an excuse to shop! :) and yes this one always really challenges me too!

19. gybogi

gybogi Giddiyup!

hm I am a bit scared because I only do Aj pages when I am confused or not happy... so at this moment I do not know what should I do. I think I take a glass of vine and let my inner thougts manifest. :D

20. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

Oh no! the day has come, lol!