January 23: Stitched Down Stuff

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by Karen, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Holy smokes! We are moving into the home stretch of MOC 10! I sure hope you all have been as inspired and challenged as I have been while playing along so far.

For today’s challenge we are going to be adding some interest to our backgrounds by stitching down some elements. The idea is to create some rows (or columns or diagonals) of stitching and then tuck some elements under the stitching. You must have at least 5 lengths of stitching dispersed across your page and each length of stitching must have at least 5 elements under the stitching. Try to use elements that would normally be stitched down, like paper elements, sequins, ribbons or bits of vellum (just to name a few). Try to avoid stitching down elements that wouldn’t normally fit through a sewing machine like thick buttons, flairs or chunks of metal. Here’s a look at my layout with 7 (2 extras) rows of stitching with elements tucked under the stitching:

[​IMG]

And here are a few fabulous sample pages by the Pollys:
    by @Eyeore
    [​IMG]

by @MiekSter
    MiekSter_MOC10_day23.jpg

by @Iowan
    [​IMG]

To recap this challenge’s requirements:
    • You must have at least 5 separate lengths of stitching dispersed across your layout.
    • Each length of stitching must have at least 5 elements under the stitching, i.e. stitched down.
    • You must add a background paper and at least 1 photo.

Clarifications:
    • Paint does not count as an element.
    • If you have at least 5 lengths of stitching each with at least 5 elements, other lengths of stitching may have less elements.
    • Additional elements, journaling, a date and title are allowed.
    • Pre-made lines of stitching with elements already attached do not count. A pre-made cluster would could only as one element and would still need to be stitched down. Your lengths of stitching with elements should be made from scratch. :agree
    • 1 element can only be counted in one row of stitching... meaning if it's long and goes under several rows of stitching, you can only count it in one row. It's okay if it's stitched down under multiple rows, it just can't be counted for every row.

In addition to the individual rules for this challenge, please follow our overall guidelines:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  2. Karen

*** This post saved for questions ***

Q: Can you have other stuff on top of the stitching?
    A: Yes.

Q: Can I create a hybrid page?
    A: YES! Just make sure to use 75% TLP products

Q: Can I use a premade stitched grid?
    A: No. You may create your own stitched grid, but a premade stitched grid would only count as one stitched item.

Q: Do the stitches need to go across the entire page?
    A: Nope.

Q: Can the stitches go any direction?

Q: Can the stitches be of varying lengths?

Q: Can we use repeated elements?

Q: Can we stitch over Kim's string bats or stitched motifs/embroiery?

Q: Can the 5 stitched down element lengths be repetitions/variantions of each other or do they need to be unique?
    A: You may use a repeated stitches down element combo, but I’d sure love to see some variety too.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    crazsquaw and amien1 like this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

How cool, stitching and I are BFF’s along with paint!

bestcee and Karen like this.
  4. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

LOVE IT!

I know you mentioned to try to stitch down things that would normally be stitched down. As long as we meet the "stitched down" requirement, could we have a couple of things above the stitches, too? For example, a button OVER the stitches, or a flower OVER the stitches, not stitched down.

Thanks!

Karen likes this.
  5. Karen

yes! As long as you meet the other requirements, you can have stuff on top of the stitching too. :agree

6. ta_merkins

ta_merkins Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

@Karen can I do this as a hybrid page and actually stitch stuff down?

Karen likes this.
  7. Karen

YES! That would be amazing! Just make sure you meet the challenge guidelines and use 75% TLP goodies. I can’t wait to see a hybrid version!

8. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

Can we use a stitched grid like from the combined template challenge? Looks like there are 7 lines, some vertical, some horizontal. Thanks!

Karen likes this.
  9. Karen

…well the first rule is to use at least 5 separate lengths of stitching, so a grid would technically be only one stitching element. But if you create your own grid, that would be fine.

MariSt likes this.
  10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

any designer here willing to donate a simple non messy stich that goes across page

Karen likes this.
  11. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Do the stitches need to go across the entire page?

Karen likes this.
  12. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same.. but then I ran a quick search for 'stitches' and found lots of stiches - YES, Rituals and other collabs have a few that run across the whole page

DivaMom96, Karen and Cath_ like this.
  13. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fun challenge :D
    [​IMG]

14. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

thank you

Karen likes this.
  15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Thanks for the fun challenge!

[​IMG]

16. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

This was such fun. Great challenge

[​IMG]

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  17. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Being originally a paper scrapbooker I found this not so easy as I wanted what I stitched to be realistically something that could be stitched down with machine stitching.

[​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  18. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

hehehe I did this for my dangles page earlier this month... guess I need to come up with another idea for this one... love stitching.
    Can the stitches go in any direction - vertical, horizontal, diagonal and be of varying lengths?

Karen likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this was fun, i went for a bit more clustered look - my 5 rows that count are on the left (from the second point in your Clarifications) and the one at the bottom on the right is a bit more minimal and was just for some balance
    [​IMG]

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think Karen may be asleep, so i'm just pasting from her post
    (I'm not sure now on the whole way across the page or varying length part, so might need to change my page depending on what the answer to that one is!)

Karen and CathQuillScrap like this.