January 2022 Book Club - A Discovery of Witches

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yippee! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After some ties between books, we were able to narrow the list down to four top books from the voting round. I moved the newest two books to the last two months, so it'll give us all a little more time to get them from our libraries hopefully. I'm really excited about all of these choices!
    :circles:byay

The book for January is Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

This is a another spoiler... you don't have to do the dishes, you should take a break and read more!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

2. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I know it’s not January yet, but I started the book this morning. I think it might be a winner!

Karen likes this.
  3. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Oh this is on my read list... if I could put down Outlander for a bit, lol.

Karen likes this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I read it, loved it, and if you all like the book, go watch the series, it's awesome! Season 3 starts in January.

Karen likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh! I've actually read this one already! It was enjoyable.

6. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Me too. This is a really good book and I also really like the television series.

Karen likes this.
  7. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I finished the book before January started...lol. I also finished Book 2, Book 3, and now I'm on Marcus & Phoebe's story with Time's Convert. So....yeah, I liked the book. :lmao

bestcee and Karen like this.
  8. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I read this one back in 2012. I remember liking it thinking it was a bit of a fantasy DaVinci Code. It was so long though! Ha!

9. Karen

I just started this one a few days ago. :)

10. Karen

Well I finished this one last night. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little longer and more drawn out than it needed to be. I had a hard time just getting lost in the story because there were so many names and details to keep track of. I am interested enough that I started the 2nd one though. I also kept comparing it to Twilight... the magical creatures and forbidden love. :giggle

Anyone else have a hard time connecting to their love story/love connection?

BUT I do think I would enjoy the TV show. I want to see how they portray the house in a TV show! :agree

11. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Read the books a few years ago and really enjoyed them. Currently just starting to watch season 3 of the series. I think I need to read the books again.

Karen likes this.
  12. Karen

I want to finish the books before I watch the show. :giggle

13. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Funny! I read these a few years ago also. I just noticed I can purchase the TV series on Amazon. Told my husband all about the story, LOL. I think I'll wait until the TV series is complete though. I already know how it ends!

I enjoyed the first book very much. I think I read it twice!