January 21- Organic Botanicals

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by yellowpeep, Jan 21, 2020.

1. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

JANUARY 21: Organic Botanicals

Hi MOC Scrappers! Only ten days to go after this one! You can do this!!
    Today, we are going to embrace nature and all her beauty. We're going organic and botanical.

or·gan·ic /ôrˈɡanik/
    adjective
    relating to or derived from living matter.

So for today's challenge, you're going to take a "botanical walk" though your elements:
    Challenge Rules:
    You need to include at least five organic, botanical elements (NO duplicates) in your layout-- things from plants that you might find out in the field or forest. They need to have either been alive at some point, or have fallen to the ground from a living plant. Some examples include real leaves, flowers, twigs, acorns, seeds and pinecones.

Within your five items, you may not count:
    * anything that was once living but has been processed to become something totally different (cardboard, handmade paper)
    * photos of an organic/botanical item that you've taken
    * anything appearing differently than it did when it was living (recolored/painted elements, elements with things glued/added to them)
    * anything that is alive but not botanical (no animals, insects or birds)
    * any duplicated elements-- the five elements need to be unique to one another

Note: sometimes it's difficult to tell whether an element is artificial or real. Use your best judgement in these situations. The five elements you choose should be indistinguishable from the real thing.
    Here's an example:

[​IMG]
    From this example kit, you would be able to count the leaf in the bottom right corner and the brown leaves in the left background, the twig frame, the pressed yellow flower in the bottom left and the sprig in the bottom left. Most of the flowers are artificial so you can include them but would not be able to count them towards your five items. Although the leaf and acorn at the top are likely real, they cannot be counted because they've been embellished with marker or paint.

To reiterate, you can include any elements you want in your layout but it must have at least five organic botanical items. If any of your items are debatable and/or hard to notice, it would be very helpful if you'd list them in your post so I know you have five that meet the criteria. Remember: no duplicated elements can be counted.

As with all our challenges:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

This is a lovely page that Carol (Iowan) made for this challenge ...
    [​IMG]

She has a mix of natural and artificial elements but at least five are organic/botanical.

Here's an awesome page that Justine (Bellbird) made for this challenge...
    [​IMG]

Again, she has an assortment of elements that fit this challenge, like the pinecones, leaves, sprigs and seeds.

Lastly, one by Sheri (SeattleSheri) that is ultra helpful because the botanical elements are numbered and correspond to the kits from where she got them (in case you were looking for some elements to use).
    [​IMG]
    1. Dried Branch by PRD - Make it happen
    2. Green leaf by Forever Joy - Treasured
    3. Dried flower by mommyish - Boho Fall
    4. Branch by Rachel Jefferies - Pasture's Green
    5. Twig by PRD - Spring has Sprung
    6. Leaf by Studio Basic - Fallscape
    7. Leaf by PRD - Spring has Sprung
    8. Leaf by Studio Basic - Fallscape
    9. Leaf - Trust the Journey Thrive by Rachel Jefferies & Studio Basic
    10. Twig by Rachel Jefferies - Pasture's Green

Please let me know if I can answer any questions. I'm so excited to see your natural creations!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Smwhite, MrsPeel, crazsquaw and 9 others like this.
  2. yellowpeep

This post is reserved for clarifications.
    * There is only one sample image showing at this time. I will make sure that the creators of the other two make their images public so the link will be visible.

* Do we have to include a photo?
    You can include (or not include) anything you want in your layout, as long as it has five organic, botanical elements. Photos are not required.

* Can I include a stick that has some paint splashed on it?
    No, the elements need to be natural things you would find when you're walking through the forest or field.

* So you want extracted elements?
    I was not expecting you to extract them yourself from a photo.
    The challenge is for you to go through the products you have and find five natural, botanical elements and include them in your layout.

crazsquaw likes this.
  3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

4. yellowpeep

Unfortunately, no. The elements need to be from plants. Seaweed would be okay, however. :)

djp332 and bellbird like this.
  5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Such a fun challenge! Here is my page (linked organic products I used are listed in my page credits :heartlub)

[​IMG]

bjc, DenetteS, Thuria and 4 others like this.
  6. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

What if it is an authentic leaf, but it has paint on it? I have a branch that looks realistic, but there are a few splashes of paint on the branch.

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Sorry, mine should be visible now, either way here it is again- i've included 2 different pinecones, an acorn, 2 different dried brown leaves, 2 different pine branches & a branch of flat green leaves, the yellow and orange seed sprinkle and a small sunflower that ended up under the title banner as well as a dried orange and a pear
    [​IMG]

8. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

do we have to include photo in this layout?

9. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

10. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

This was really fun! I used a few more than 5 items to make sure that they're all "real." I wear bifocals and don't see super-well, and I'm pretty sure they all qualify, but added a few extras just in case, lololol!

1) purple sprig
    2) purple flower
    3) purple petal (the petal is a separate element from the flower in the kit)
    4) seed pods
    5) top leaf
    6) middle leaf sprig
    7) bottom leaf

[​IMG]

11. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I had the perfect photos for this challenge!
    [​IMG]

Organic Botanicals:
    brown foliage (used 3 times)
    branch with leaves & pods
    acorn (used twice)
    pine cone
    green leaves (used twice)
    branch
    seed scatter (used twice)
    mushrooms

I didn't count the brown flowers toward the requirements.

BevG, yellowpeep and threadjungle like this.
  12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

yellowpeep likes this.
  13. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

So in other words you want extracted elements for the challenge?

bellbird likes this.
  14. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge

3 flowers
    2 leaves

[​IMG]

LynnG, BevG, DenetteS and 8 others like this.
  15. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you so much for this gorgeous challenge, Liana @yellowpeep

[​IMG]

DenetteS and yellowpeep like this.
  16. extase

extase Well-Known Member

17. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

18. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I found more than ten organic botanical elements for this fall layout. All of them are in the cluster on the lower right side of the page. All were in kits from Forever Joy - Foxy Bundle (acorn branch, pine branch, brown leaf), Sunflowers (yellow-green, orange and brown leaves), Bunny Trail (stem with yellow flowers), Little Things (cream-colored leaf), Little Days (bare branch)Your Biggest Fan (grass, brown, green and yellow leaves).

[​IMG]

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i read it to mean extracted natural botanical material but without extras or processing (so not an extracted fabric leaf for instance, or an extracted fallen off a tree leaf with glitter or paint splattered already on it as a single PNG/element in a kit ) @yellowpeep

crazsquaw, yellowpeep and bestcee like this.
  20. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member