January 2014

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by heathergw, Dec 27, 2013.

1. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

Let's see your pages...

As I'm gearing up for the new year, I've been really thinking about how I want to scrap the new year... I've found that weekly spreads really stress a lot of you out... so instead of doing weekly threads, I want to encourage you guys to do monthly instead and don't limit yourself to a certain number of pages... Instead of doing a full two page spread every week, try just being open to whatever photos or stories you have that week... so one week might be half a page and another week might have lots of events and needs 4 or 5 or more pages... let your mind be open to doing monthly pages vs. weekly pages...

I'd be curious to know if more of you finish a yearly project if you do it this way and don't feel so bad on the weeks you either forgot to take pictures or you just have a boring week, or if you have tons of pictures, you don't feel limited as to how many pages you do...

I'm so very excited to start a new year and can't wait to see your pages!!!

2. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

although I do weekly pages this is my approach. I don't limit myself to a 2 page spread. I just tell the stories, even if there are a lot!

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

OH yeah... I'm on this! I'll be back once something happens in my life in January. Love the monthly thread, too. Last year I did a 2 page spread each month and didn't know where to post them in the forums. So I didn't. Now I will. :)

4. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

I love this approach, and I think many more will be joining in if there's more freedom! I can imagine doing more than two pages from time to time, because sometimes, I just have too many photos... and I noticed that I hardly use journaling cards, because I don't have enough spots left after I put in all the pictures...

5. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I think this approach is definitely worth trying. I didn't feel so stressed about having weekly pages, but i am OCD enough that if I only had a 1-page spread for a week, I had to come up with some filler page to face it to make my album balance out. Maybe doing this less-structured approach will help me out in that department!!

6. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

This is my plan of attack for my first year doing PL! My life isn't that interesting enough to dedicate weekly spreads lol. Besides, documenting a month is much easier than trying to document a week, so I like this approach. Hope I won't feel burned out with PL. I'm kind of scared of that.

7. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

Sounds like a great idea, although I take so many photos every week which is why I do weekly. But, I've been thinking about taking less photos next year and going a little simpler. Let's see ow it works out!

8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

My plan is to definitely stay weekly, but I don't mind posting them to a monthly thread. I'm one of the strange ones where the thought of monthly pages stresses me out worse than doing weekly spreads. :-) I got into a really good routine in 2013 and I'm going to try to stick with it.

9. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Hmmm a monthly spread might work for me. Now that both kids are in school I just don't find myself taking as many pics. I also miss the regular old layouts but don't want to double up so I tend to not scrap events/pics that are are in the PL book.

10. RebeccaH

Melissa, I've found something that works well for me for that... I put my pics into a PL layout like normal. Then for those photos that I have several of, or if there's a story that requires special attention, I will do a regular layout for those. I put them in my PL album with my PL spreads, just stick them in between weeks where they would fall chronologically. It has worked really well, and has been a nice balance between PL scrapping and 'regular' scrapping.

11. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

i do this too, everything in one album

12. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

I fell off the wagon on the monthly layout after April. :( I was doing 2 page spreads and enjoying it but.. We all know how it goes. I rallied for a single insta-weather pages for May and August.. I'm planning on doing a 2013 round up - two pager to salvage the year. I'll try for the monthly layouts again this year.. I really do enjoy looking at all the little details.

13. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I did monthly spreads in 2013 with separate inserts if there was an event like graduation or vacation and it worked out very well.

14. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

The two page spreads did stress me out. I never seemed to have enough photos. So I went to doing one page per week and was able to finish the year. Didn't post because I wasn't usually up to date and wasn't really keeping up with my credits. But I think this year I may try to join in. I loved looking at everyone else's pages. :)

15. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

I have no problem with weeks where I've hardly any pics- I just use a template where the photo spots are bigger ;), then I don't need as many pictures...

16. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Mmmm, I might give this a try. I tried weekly LO's one year and failed after about 6 weeks lol. but Monthly sounds much more like something I could keep up with. Will prob follow RebeccaH's lead. I like the idea of the additional LOs for special events :) x

17. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I'm planning on just putting in pics and/or words when I have something to show or say, and not worrying about what date span the spread happens to cover. If I start making rules, I'll get upset when something doesn't fit, so it's better if I just don't have any. I know me.

18. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I started off doing monthly, but I haven't finished an album yet. But as you know the last couple of years have been a little chaotic for me. I'm planning on completing 2014 monthly as well, and will just work on 2012 and 2013 when I can. I'm excited to have a place here to put monthly spreads, I always felt a little left out before since I didn't do weekly. Also, I'm so excited that so many others are approaching PL in this way.

19. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

I do this too - sometimes I have a lot of pics and sometimes I have a photo that I really like and want it to be bigger than 4x6- so I either do a layout and put it with the PL page(s) or use some of the newer templates (Valorie Wibbens 7 or Amy Martin Project Grids) This year I am going to try to have a bit more consistency in products though- not sure what it will be- probably limit the number of different templates and/ or have the same journal (recap) cards every week. It's inspiring to hear all the different ideas and see the flexibility of what works for everyone. I don't do week numbers- although I love some of the products for that-I just enter the dates so I am looking for a uniform way to enter this info too. I Love the enabling pics of products- would love to see a weekly thread of just that! I didn't know to to enter the PL layouts anywhere else but in the PL Gallery- glad I found this thread, it's been very helpful and I am looking forward to seeing everyone's pages in 2014!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  20. RebeccaH

I LOOVE this idea of doing a weekly enabling thread!! I think that would be great!! Perhaps we can arrange this!! ;)