January 2 - Art Journaling

Discussion in 'MOC 11 Challenges' started by scribler, Jan 2, 2023.

1. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

January 2: Art Journaling

I am excited to be hosting my very first MOC challenge. Plus, this challenge involves one of my favorite styles of scrapping, Art Journaling. I absolutely love art journaling. I don't always have photos in need of scrapping but I can always get behind a good art journal page. That is why I am so excited about this challenge.

Maybe you are new to art journaling, so let me tell you a little bit about it. Art journaling is a very creative form of scrapbooking that allows you to put your feelings and emotions on the page using words and images or just using images. This is your chance to get messy and do things you might not normally do on your more traditional pages. Have you always wanted to play with brushes or paint but couldn't figure out how to make it work with your photos? Think those art dolls are oh so cute but they just don't fit your pages? Now is your chance to give yourself the freedom to play with paint and art dolls. There are no rules with art journaling. Art journaling is all about creativity and freedom.

Now, I can already here some of you groaning. You think you can't do art journaling, but you can. It's not as hard to do as you think. I know the first time I tried art journaling, I thought I would be horrible at it. Now, I love art journaling.

For this challenge, your page should be based on the prompt "New Year". You can art journal about your 2023 resolutions or your one little word for 2023. You can journal about something you want to change this year or an unwanted change that you are making in 2023. There are so many different way to look at the "new year" prompt.

Your page does not have to be extremely artsy. Do you prefer pocket pages? You can make that work here. (I've seen some awesome art journaling pocket pages.) Photos can totally be part of an art journaling page if you want. You don't have to have a lot of text. As I said earlier art journaling can be very image-centric. The only thing your page must have is paint or gesso. You don't have to have a lot but it must be easy to see.

Here's my page.
    Future800.jpg

Other Requirements:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.

Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). Product from other stores will not be allowed for MOC; your pages must contain 100% Lilypad product (current or retired product from designers or guest designers presently selling at The Lilypad).

I hope this ends up being a great creative outlet for you. I can't wait to see everyone's pages.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    angels, AJK, crazsquaw and 13 others like this.
  2. scribler

For Updates and Clarifications

1. Would this style of template work and incorporate gesso?
    [​IMG]
    A. Yes. They have plenty of paint/gesso.

2. Would the Joyce Paul Wishing and Hoping Mini work?
    [​IMG]
    A. If you color the paint mask and use it prominently, then yes. Just using the messy papers would not count.

G.J., crazsquaw, AnjaDD and 1 other person like this.
  3. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

I've never done a page like this before and yes, I groaned! Ha ha! :) I'm not great at this. Would this kit work for this style and incorporate paint/gesso (which I had to google!)? :rollin It has a paint mask in it.
    https://the-lilypad.com/store/wishinghoping-freebie.html
    PS I'm on a different time zone to you all, in Asia, so I only have from now (it's 6pm here) until 10 or 11 pm to do this. By the time I'm up and get home from school, it's tomorrow for you all.

4. MlleTerraMoka

MlleTerraMoka Well-Known Member

Great challenge !
    Mine :
    [​IMG]

I decided to write about my future birthday. I will be 40 in 2023, but I'm ready ! :)

angels, KarenB, Thuria and 6 others like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Eek, art journaling….I love looking at it however struggle to execute but I think this is easy enough to give a go.

scribler likes this.
  6. scribler

I think those templates absolutely would work. Those templates have plenty of paint/gesso.

BTW, you have until February 2nd to get all 30 pages done. You do not have to finish this one by tonight.

crazsquaw, bellbird and cfile like this.
  7. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

Thanks. I edited it to ask if I can use this instead? :) https://the-lilypad.com/store/wishinghoping-freebie.html
    And thanks re the date, but if I leave them all, I won't have time to get them done, I need to try to do one a day. The timing is just a bit tricky. I can catch up on weekends though. :)

LynnG likes this.
  8. scribler

Totally understand. I just wanted to make sure you knew the deadline.

If you color the mask and use it prominently, it would count. Just using the messy papers would not. (I know you weren't asking but wanted to clarify for anyone else wondering.)

crazsquaw, bellbird and Genniejoy like this.
  9. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

great challenge

[​IMG]

angels, Lisa B, KarenB and 9 others like this.
  10. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Hey - art journaling is for FUN. There's no right or wrong [except for this challenge who requires paint or gesso]. Art journaling is about expressing feelings, any way you find. No rules, no limits.

And: a "cheat" if you want to make a page that looks like painting- easy way to make art journaling is to get one of Rebecca McMeen's kits - she's done all the painting for you.

When I make an art journaling page - I just dump files onto the canvas (I prefer to use a white background paper - sometimes I change it later in the process), then move layers around like crazy, until I see something I like. Usually end up deleting like 50% of the elements I've started with. Allow yourself to play, use blend modes, use brushes, add a style - just play - no rules, no limits, just have fun.

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

12. Jess Claire Creates

Jess Claire Creates Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Collections used Rachel Jefferies: Pocket Art and Look Deep Into Nature

KarenB, LynnG, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  13. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member

Jan 2 - Art Journal

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    extase likes this.
  14. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Such a huge fan of art journaling and 2023 will be year that I get back into the AJ style - thus, much love for this challenge.

[​IMG]

angels, KarenB, threadjungle and 2 others like this.
  15. Skivvy

Skivvy Well-Known Member

When I think of Art Journaling I think of Tangie Baxter. I used her art journaling caravan archive to create this and since it was a cycling theme Paula's kit the cyclist was ideal.
    [​IMG]

KarenB, threadjungle and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Cindy for the fun challenge!

[​IMG]

KarenB and LynnG like this.
  17. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Thanks for a fun challenge Cindy! I LOVE art journaling!!! <3
    [​IMG]

angels, QuiltyMom, KarenB and 2 others like this.
  18. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Thank you for the challenge.

During the last months of 2022, I've noticed I've sort of slipped in to old habits (that I was sure I had left far behind me), namely negative thoughts and worrying. I really need to stop that and start thinking positive. Here's my layout:

[​IMG]

angels, Lime, KarenB and 9 others like this.
  19. Scrap by Irre

Scrap by Irre Well-Known Member

20. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

This was fun and yet daunting. I want to do art journaling more but get so caught up in scrapping that it never happens... so thanks for the push.
    [​IMG]

angels, scribler, KarenB and 3 others like this.