January 19 - Cut Out Background

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by jenn mccabe, Jan 19, 2020.

1. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the Challenge!
    [​IMG]

Bellisae, rlucasmn and jenn mccabe like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

"Got The Shape In The Bin & Then CTRl On Element Layer & The Marching Ants Appeared Around The Element...But Everytime I Try This The Shape Lands In The Middle Of The Page & I Can't Move It Anywhere Or Around..."

• When you drag the element into the workspace from the bin, move the element to where you want it BEFORE you use the Ctrl + clicking on the Element Layer in the layer panel.
    • Once you have the element where you want it, then do Ctrl+Clicking on the element in the layer panel for the marching ants.
    • With the selection / ants marching then select the pattern paper layer which should be your top paper layer in the layer panel. You should be able to now go to Layer >New> Via cut... that puts your element shape cut out of the patterned paper on a new layer.
    • Rotate your new cut out shape layer just a little so the bottom paper shows through.
    • Go back to the Element layer and move the element to another spot. Do the Ctrl+Clicking on the element layer to get marching ants.
    • With ants marching select the pattern paper layer again and go to Layer>New>Via cut.
    • Rotate your new cut out layer just a little so the bottom paper shows through.
    • Go back to the Element layer and move the element to another spot. Do the Ctrl+Clicking on the element layer to get marching ants.
    • With ants marching select the pattern paper layer again and go to Layer>New>Via cut.
    • Rotate your new cut out layer just a little so the bottom paper shows through.
    • Repeat these last three steps for as many cuts outs as you want. If you only want 3 then that is fine.
    -----------------------

RJMJ you are over thinking. Don't worry about an element for a shape then, if this step is too hard for you. Use a circle or a square or a heart shape in place of an element. Cut it out of the pattern paper and put the cut out pattern paper shape on a new layer and rotate that just a little.

The object of the challenge is to offset a shape cutout from the pattern paper to show the paper below peeking through. It does not matter what the pattern paper is on the top or how many cutout shapes you make. The pattern paper must be on top and the cutout needs to be out of the pattern paper with the shape with that SAME pattern paper, off set so you see the paper underneath peeking through.

Take it very slow. You can do it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you so much for this fun challenge, I had been wondering how to do it in PSE ( in Craft Artist it is straight forward,and I used to use it a fair bit) , but it seemed a long process in PSE the way I did it before, so sort of forgot about it, but it is not ….it is just as easy...thanks both Christa @cfile and you @jenn mccabe doing the dance of joy !
    [​IMG]

rlucasmn, jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  4. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

5. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Between the patterned background and the no templates rule, I think this has been my most challenging challenge yet! Thanks for the inspiration!

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. Skivvy

Skivvy Well-Known Member

Awesome challenge, here is my take.

[​IMG]

7. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Such fun!!! Thanks for the great challenge!!

[​IMG]

8. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challnege Jenn

[​IMG]

9. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

Phew.....now that one had me totally confused, at least till the "penny dropped"....just wouldn't work for some reason. Great idea, mind you not so in love with so many cut outs on the page. Hope that it is OK.
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Thanks, this was a challenge but also fun once I got it.

[​IMG]

11. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

That was fun!
    Day 19: Cut Out Background
    95% of the background must be the bold background with the cutouts
    5% of the background is another paper or paint peeking thru the cutouts

This is Shelby and Me - our favorite photo of each other at the wedding...

I used a large heart shape and rotated it. I used TLP All About ME, YOU and US for the papers and elements.

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe and fruitysuet like this.
  12. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Sorry for the late question, @jenn mccabe ....after creating my cutouts, can I turn my patterned paper into vellum? You can still see the pattern of the vellum and the cutout and it is still covering the complete background with a woodgrain paper behind it. No biggie if I can't. Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

13. Coady

Coady Well-Known Member

This is round 2 with this challenge because I didn't accurately read the instructions - so thanks for enabling to create a layout (round 1) that I really like and hope to use in a future challenge in MOC 2020!!!

[​IMG]

14. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you so much for this gorgeous challenge, Jenn @jenn mccabe
    I'm a bit late but I had to think about what I could do....

[​IMG]

tania, rlucasmn, nanascrapper and 2 others like this.
  15. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

16. Anny-Libelle

Anny-Libelle Show me the way to the Misty Mountains

Thank you for the great challenge!
    My page:
    [​IMG]

17. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I'm going to have to try this more often, love the way the color peeks out from behind.

[​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  18. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Wow! This challenge was so much fun! Thanks for learning me new things! <3
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  19. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Kept the cut paper simple. Thanks for the great challenge!
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe and KarenC like this.
  20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh my brain seriously went
    zap and I have opened so many canvases, cut triangles, hearts and even a huge ol' stamp...lol but I couldn't get it to gel. then the photo made the page....I love playing with this challenge, what a cool and fun and so many options to create is awesome!
    [​IMG]