January 17: The Rainbow Page Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 2019 Challenges' started by bellbird, Jan 16, 2019.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

"Red and yellow and pink and green
    Purple and orange and blue
    I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow..."

Hello Everyone,
    Whether you grew up with this version of the Rainbow song, or were taught the ROY G BIV way of remembering the colours of the spectrum, today's challenge is all about colour! Multiple colours!

If you think of a rainbow, it is made up of several distinct colours. Sometimes they can be hard to see in the sky and they can be in pastel shades or in bright colours, but the colours stay separate and run parallel, not crossing, except to mix and make a new colour! (example: red + yellow = orange)

For today's challenge page, you will use all 7 colours from the Rainbow song above and make a page featuring them as blocks of colour. To show off the colours, you will use them on a solid black or white background. They can be subtle or vibrant but you must represent all 7 distinct colours. You must have a separate item or element for each colour and each colour must be clearly seen on the page. For example, you cannot use one ribbon with orange, yellow and red on it. You can use an orange ribbon, a yellow ribbon, and a red ribbon. Additional elements such as wordart, fasteners and doodles in black, white, silver or gold are fine but the colours should still shine on this page. And remember while you are searching your stash, one of the best things about digital scrapping is that we can recolour anything!

Ideas: You can use any medium you wish to bring colour to your page, you might decide to focus on:
    - solid coloured paper strips (tone on tone, or patterns like polka dots that use white or black are fine too)
    - paints or stamps/brushes,
    - groups of coloured elements (eg. 7 different coloured, separate clusters of flowers and buttons),
    - different coloured alphas against an all white or all black page as a cover for an album!

You can create a minimalistic rainbow page or fill the page! You can scrap about any topic, and photos and journalling are all optional! Also, you DO NOT need to include a photo of an actual rainbow. Feel free to create one in any way with product but using just a single pre-made rainbow element will not satisfy the requirements of this challenge.

This is the page I made for this challenge focusing on paint (because the Rainbow song makes me think of pre-school and fingerpainting!) with a few elements. You might notice I used a smaller amount of pink but all 7 colours are still there and obvious.
    MOC17-me-600px.jpg
    paper: Sara Gleason | Albus {papers}
    paint: Paula Kesselring | Watercolor Bits -Stamps 2 ; Allison Pennington | Splash - Paints
    elements: Sahlin Studios | Birthday Cake -elements

And here are some other rainbow page ideas I found on pinterest - please note: these are ideas for inspiration only to show how different designs and multiple colours can all be used to give a rainbow effect.
    rainbow-pinterest600px.jpg

Here are a few products that you may already have in your stash that are perfect for creating a colourful page (although you may need to add an extra colour or two):
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

To recap the rules:
    * Use a solid black or white background. Your background can have some texture, but it should not have any pattern.
    * Use all 7 colours from this list, in any order or way, to create a colourful rainbow page
    - red, yellow, pink, green, purple, orange, blue
    * The colours must be kept separate and obvious - using 1 floral or striped patterned paper with 7 colours on it is not acceptable for this challenge. You must have a separate item or element for each colour and each colour must be clearly seen on the page. For example, you cannot use one ribbon with orange, yellow and red on it. You can use an orange ribbon, a yellow ribbon, and a red ribbon.
    * Using photos is optional but they can be in colour or black and white. Colours in photos do not count towards your rainbow colours
    * Extra little details in black, white, silver or gold are fine (examples: wordart, fasteners and doodles) but the 7 rainbow colours you chose should still be clearly visible. Avoid brown elements (or kraft) like wood veneer; grey areas from shadows are also fine.

Have fun! I can't wait to see your pages fill the gallery with colour! Rainbows always make me happy!

Please remember that as with all pages for MOC:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    *Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    *Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    *Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this post reserved for clarifications

1 *Must any flowers be a solid colour or can the stamens be a neutral colour or perhaps a gemstone?
    - If your flower centre is a fastener, button or gemstone that's different to the main colour of the flower, it would fall under the last rule "Extra little details in black, white, silver or gold are fine" - the main goal here is the overall look of the page with those 7 colours being the most obvious

2 *The one song mentions pink - and I was taught Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Which one?
    - For today's challenge we're using the colours in the verse at the top of the post (you're lucky you can't hear me singing it!)

3 *Is there only one item of each color or could you have say 2 red flowers-3 green leaves-etc
    - As long as you follow the other rules, changing the number of elements for each colour sounds like a creative way to use the rainbow! I used a few different yellow pieces with the paint but only paint for purple (no purple elements) for example, so you can definitely do more than one item for each colour!

4 * what about buttons with a thread in the center in a different color? It's a tiny detail but will they count as one of the rainbow colors?
    (I don't like recoloring elements, I feel I will destroy the designer's work...)
    - If you are able to use buttons that have no thread or a white or black thread, they would be perfect. Extra details like thread would come under the last requirement as well.
    (And I understand what you're saying about the designer's work but if you really need a yellow button and you don't have one, that might be the quickest and easiest way just to pass the challenge)

Karen, LoveItScrapIt and Ferdy like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What an interesting and fun challenge, Justine. Love your inspiration layout and what great ideas from Pinterest you gave us. I'm going to have to give this one some though.

bellbird likes this.
  4. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Having a tea party with the Aborigines

Sounds like my type of scrapping :)

bellbird likes this.
  5. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Love bright rainbow colors and love this challenge and your beautiful rainbow page!

bellbird likes this.
  6. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

OH what fun this will be!! Wish I could start now, but I start teaching tomorrow morning and MUST get a good night' sleep!! But I can sit here for a few more moments and think about what I want to do!!!! :banana

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  7. KairynLisa

KairynLisa Wouldn't make it as a fighter pilot

Fun! I'll sleep on it and wake up inspired! LOL

bellbird likes this.
  8. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

Must any flowers be a solid colour or can the stamens be a neutral colour or perhaps a gemstone?

9. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I think this kit would be a good one too:
    [​IMG]

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Hi there, if your flower centre is a fastener, button or gemstone that's different to the main colour of the flower, it would fall under the last rule "Extra little details in black, white, silver or gold are fine" - the main goal here is the overall look of the page with those 7 colours being the most obvious - does that help?

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Just make sure to use a solid white or black background but those elements cover all 7 colours and really showcase the effect we're going for too today! Thanks for sharing! The store has so many possibilities and this is also a good mix and match challenge!

12. Pachimac

Pachimac Shhhh! You're disturbing the books

I don’t typically scrap with the primary colors. This will definitely be a challenge for me. I’m gonna sleep on it!

13. Pachimac

Pachimac Shhhh! You're disturbing the books

Clarification: the one song mentions pink - and I was taught Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

Which one?

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you can go pastel shades, warm tones, cool tones - think about the paint guides at the hardware store, there's lots of possibilities for every colour - and if it's say, the red that worries you, you can minimise it like I did the pink on my sample page but just make sure it's there - hope that helps!

15. dkane

dkane Active Member

Question-Is there only one item of each color or could you have say 2 red flowers-3 green leaves-etc>

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I know, there are so many ways we teach children about colour but for today's challenge we're using the colours in the verse at the top of the post (you're lucky you can't hear me singing it!)
    * Use all 7 colours from this list, in any order or way, to create a colourful rainbow page

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

As long as you follow the other rules, changing the number of elements for each colour sounds like a creative way to use the rainbow! I used a few different yellow pieces with the paint but only paint for purple (no purple elements) for example, so you can definitely do more than one item for each colour!

18. dkane

dkane Active Member

Thanks for the response-don't want to have to redo it.

bellbird likes this.
  19. vanessasmed

vanessasmed Well-Known Member

I used paper strips (fading out) for my rainbow colours :)
    [​IMG]

iciclelady, trekmom, KittyY and 2 others like this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

If in doubt with anything, always feel free to ask! :-)