January 17 - Hindsight is 20/20 Journaling Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by EHStudios, Jan 16, 2020.

1. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

JANUARY 17: Hindsight is 20/20 Journaling Challenge

Because my mornings are controlled by a 3 month old, I thought I'd post my challenge early so you guys aren't waiting on me!

We are just over halfway through this month & haven't been writing challenged until now!! I know I'm going to hear the groans on a journaling challenge, since that was always what I dreaded for my first MOCs, (but when I do them I end up LOVING my pages). Here I am saying Hindsight is 20/20 & when you look back you might end up LOVING your pages too! Even when I volunteered to host a journaling challenge I said I couldn't believe I was putting my name in the ring because journaling is hard for me.

My challenge to you is to scrap a page & include at least 200 words around a story where Hindsight was 20/20 for you, and include the phrase "Hindsight is 20/20" somewhere on your page.

To help get ideas flowing I found this great explanation for the phrase Hindsight is 20/20

This is a saying which means that "It's easy to know the right thing to do after something has happened, but it's hard to predict the future." HINDSIGHT means "thinking about things after they've happened" & 20/20 means "perfect vision".

So! Your story should be about something that happened in the past that you learned from, or that you weren't happy about at the time but now realize wasn't so bad. It could be about something you would change now that you see things differently. Or it could be realizing that you made the best decision that you could at the time because you see how things are now.

Here's the page I created, and for reference I have 385 words in the body of the text:

[​IMG]

& here is one from @MiekSter with over 300 words
    (if the sample doesn't show I'll relink when she officially adds to the gallery)

[​IMG]

The rules for this challenge:
    1. Must have at least 200 words
    (use https://wordcounter.net if you need to)
    2. Must include the phrase "Hindsight is 20/20" somewhere on your page.
    3. Must include Lilypad products & not just journaling.
    4. Photos optional

Since this is a JOURNALING CHALLENGE, in addition to having at least 200 words:
    1. Your journaling should be in complete sentences to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word over and over. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me or Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    2. Your journaling should be legible and readable. If your page is not in English, we ask that you translate your journaling to English and post the translation in your gallery credits. If your journaling has been distressed or your font is too small to read, you should post your journaling in your gallery credits. Again, if your journaling is sensitive and/or personal, please message me or Julie directly to discuss.
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

I can't wait to read your stories!

2. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Well thanks for posting this so early...gives me some time to think!!

Tedasgram (Ruth) and EHStudios like this.
  3. Tedasgram (Ruth)

Tedasgram (Ruth) Active Member

The first thing that came to my mind for my hindsight, isn't really a story for other people to read lol. I'll have to think a lot about this challenge. Thanks for the early post!

Well after writing over 400 words, I decided to change my hindsight story lol. I've been called the story teller in my family and too often I hear, can you cut it short and get to the point. Anyway, that's another story hehe. I love journaling so thanks for that challenge, even though the subject matter was a bit tougher to write. Here is my layout

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    SheriScraps and EHStudios like this.
  4. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Oops! Reserving a spot for questions/clarifications ❤️

Humourous stories would definitely still fit the guidelines! A personal story is just one related to you, it doesn't have to be personal as in sensitive. It can still be lighthearted completely!

5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Cool! Boy do I have a LOT of examples of this one! HA!

tlcd1961 and EHStudios like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Just wanted to remind you about this in our MOC 2020 Guidelines (#6):

Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories. Please read the guidelines carefully for word count requirements. All of the journaling challenges will require complete sentences to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count, and you cannot use the same word over and over. Again, if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me (@mrs2a50 ) or your challenge host (@EHStudios ) directly to discuss.

7. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

What a challenge! Thank you for posting it early

EHStudios likes this.
  8. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Here is mine. This was a really good challenge and I enjoyed it. Thank you!

[​IMG]

LynnG, trekmom, Memaw2Wm and 5 others like this.
  9. AnotherAmanda

AnotherAmanda Well-Known Member

10. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I love journaling challenges! And I have some ideas for this one already!

EHStudios likes this.
  11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Congrats on your new addition. She is such a blessing I am sure.
    [​IMG]

I have 218 words:
    I remember asking Jack what he was praying for us as a family in 1999 and he said he was praying for a new house. I knew that if we moved I wanted to be closer to the children’s school, the multiple trips each day were a drain on me. We found this house and I really didn’t see what Andrew saw in it, other than it was bigger and a good price. It was no closer to the school and all of the stairs with a baby that wasn’t even crawling yet. For some reason (maybe I was just exhausted) I told him he could put an offer in if he wanted. Well the offer was accepted and we moved in early October, just before Rosie’s first birthday. Hindsight is 20/20. We have added on a tv lounge and a studio for me, we changed the cream melamine kitchen to cherry wood and added a pool for the kids. Twenty years in this house, it has become their childhood home. Numerous cats have come and gone, some buried in the garden here. This house is still ours and still home, even though as the children move out it feels too big and we rattle around a little. She is a good home and we love being here.

LynnG and EHStudios like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

wow, gotta think on this one. I'll be back

EHStudios likes this.
  13. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Mine too. My biggest hindsight story isn’t public knowledge. I might have to write it but hide the journaling somehow.

Kat, LynnG and EHStudios like this.
  15. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

457 words
    [​IMG]
    My Mom gave us one of the greatest gifts any child could receive and that is a strong faith tradition. From the time we were toddlers, we went to Sunday School every week. The church was so kind and supportive. If you attended every week you were given a Bible with your name on it. The photo below is my Bible I received when I was probably 5 or 6 if not younger. The next year you got a Bible case and after that a pin. The church also gave each of us kids a pound box of Russell Stover candy. In a one-income family in the 50's with 4 kids you never got a lot. So to get a whole box of chocolates was so wonderful. I have even been enjoying some this year. But back to the story. I grew up in the church and was confirmed in it when I was 13. I decided at that point to read the Bible. I started in Genesis and as I read there were things that I didn't understand. I asked our pastor and his answer was you just have to accept things by faith. That was a hard thing for an intelligent 13-year-old to do. I doubt whether the pastor ever had much training in the way of apologetics. I wish he had said ask God but he didn’t and I didn't think to do that. Life got busy with college, marriage, kids, and jobs. Faith was just a small aspect of my life. Finally I came to the point when I decided I either had to go all in or not even try. I decided I would go all in and truly accept the Bible as the true, divinely inspired word of God. Now I understand

That Jesus truly is the way, the truth, and the life. God is so good that not only did he build my faith but he also gave me answers to all my questions that I had as a teenager. I look back now and wonder how much different my life would have been if my faith had been stronger. But then I put it in the Lord’s hands and let him take me where he wants me now. I am so thankful he never gave up on me. And, I am so thankful that Jesus voluntarily gave up his life on the cross to save me and to eventually restore the world to paradise. I am glad also that there are so many creative aspects to Bible study. Bible Quilting is now so much fun. It is such a great way to do a word or theme study.

The candy is still yummy, especially the caramels.

16. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

MOC JAN 2020 Jan 17
    [​IMG]

LynnG and EHStudios like this.
  17. wendy85

wendy85 Doin' a little chair dance here at my desk

you could use a font wich isn't easy readable or almost not readable at all specially when the layout is reduced in size

EHStudios and cfile like this.
  18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@EHStudios - is photoless ok? I know I don’t have a photo of the exact event for one of the stories I want to tell bu could use a different photo if need be.

EHStudios and cinderella like this.
  19. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Tossing up between two stories - not sure which to tell yet

EHStudios likes this.
  20. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Rule #4 is "Photos optional"

EHStudios, bestcee and littlekiwi like this.