January 16:Tell a Story through photos (Photography Challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Shivani, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Shivani

Shivani I live in an anemonemone. An amnemonemomne.

Hello everyone!!! I am so excited to be hosting my first ever challenge at The Lilypad and over the moon that it happens to be part of the Month of Challenges 5. I have always felt that this event brings out the best of creativity in all of us. You just need to glance at the gallery to see the awesomeness that's on display!!!

As the name suggests, this is a photography challenge. You must include at least one photo in your layout. You do not need to take a new photo if you have an existing photo that matches the requirements for this challenge.

So what do I mean by telling a story through photos? We all have heard the old adage 'a picture is worth a thousand words'. And so it is! A photograph is one of the most powerful medium via which we scrappers express our creativity. The essence of this challenge is just that - using photos so they can convey the story or feeling without the need for any journaling or further explanation. You can do this in many ways e.g. using a series of photos in progression to tell a story, cropping photos to show various details of what is being recorded, a photo or series of photos taken from a perspective/angle that gives it context, converting photos to black and white or using other photo treatment to convey the emotion etc. You can interpret this in many different ways and I would encourage you to explore the various possibilities.

I have made a couple of sample pages to illustrate what I mean :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Requirements for this challenge are:
    1. There should be at least one photo in your layout; you can use as many as you like.
    2. There should be no journaling. You can use a title (Wordart or Alpha or Font) but just that. You may also add a date and a place if you so wish.
    3. You may use templates for your layout.
    4. You may embellish as you like; there are no other design restrictions.

So that's it. I can't wait to see your various takes and more importantly your beautiful photos shining through !!!

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and not an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC page thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    nhudao, NancyBeck, crazsquaw and 4 others like this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

So happy that this is posting early, I wish that I could see the examples though?

carilyne likes this.
  3. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

Yeah, your examples aren't showing up. Cool challenge, though!

4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

5. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Noooooooooo not even a date and place?

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Here's mine!
    Thanks for the challenge, it was a quick one to do tonight. Now to go back to 12-15.....
    [​IMG]

(@fruitysuet I'll add a date before I print it!)

mirjam likes this.
  7. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I thought the same. I will make two versions: one that works for this challenge and then later I will add the journaling, place and date for me to print. Especially on a page that tells a story, which is the challenge, I'd want to journal along with it. I understand the reasoning behind the rule for this challenge, as the story is supposed to show through the photos alone, but I don't like it. ;)

Aerobigirl and tlcd1961 like this.
  8. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I loooove this, I actually did one for day 14 that would've been great so I'll just make one that continues on from that one :agree

Shivani likes this.
  9. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

This is the earliest I've ever posted in a challenge! lol!!

[​IMG]

10. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Great challenge. I will work on it tonight.

Shivani likes this.
  11. Shivani

StefanieS and carilyne like this.
  12. Shivani

@bestcee and @Pallavi01 you gals are superfast!!!! :agree I will be going into the gallery soon to swoon over them and comment properly :)

bestcee likes this.
  13. Shivani

I think that will work. I love a good journaling so will probably add mine when I print my pages. But for this challenge,I am very happy if you would like to add a date and a place. I am amending the challenge guidelines to add that on.

mcurtt likes this.
  14. Shivani

Yes you can. My only intention through this challenge is not to have explicit journaling explaining the photos and the context etc. So a little date and place is completely fine. I have amended that in the challenge guidelines. :)

Frumpje and cinna like this.
  15. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Great challenge Shivani!

Shivani likes this.
  16. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had decided to make the date part of my title even before the requirements were amended to allow a date - no problem!

Shivani, JenniferJ and mirjam like this.
  17. jkcantwell

jkcantwell Active Member

JenniferJ likes this.
  18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am a big journaling person. I like my words to tell the story, but this challenge has given me a page I love. I had this photo for a while, and it never made it into any of our yearbooks. I like to put what I call throwback photos in too..this
    just makes me giggle:
    [​IMG]

JenniferJ, Joan K, BevG and 7 others like this.
  19. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Brilliant challenge - thank you :)
    [​IMG]

20. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust