January 16: Off-Center Focus (Photography Challenge)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 16, 2018.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

January 16: Off-Center Focus (Photography Challenge)

Welcome to Day 16 of MOC! Isn't it exciting, we're past the halfway point of the month now! I am excited to be hosting a photography challenge for you today.

CHALLENGE REQUIREMENT:
    • You will need to take a new photo or use an old photo that meets the criteria for "off-center (rule of thirds)".
    • You will create a layout, using this photo (you may use additional photos as long as you use the one that is "off-center".
    The "rule of thirds" composition rule involving placing your subject "off-center" in your framing when taking your photo, so that the subject is not smack dab in the center of your photo. This can create a more dynamic, interesting photo. By moving your subject off-center, you can give more importance/awareness of the foreground/background, as it applies to your subject.

***Below, I've provided samples and links to explain in more detail.

Think of your photograph as being divided into 9 equal grids (3 horizontal and vertical intersecting lines). When you use the rule of thirds you avoid placing your subject in the center of the frame, instead you place your subject somewhere in the framing of your shot so that they are on one of those intersecting lines (thus, they will be off-center either horizontally or vertically, over one of the grid lines). This creates more visual interest.

[​IMG]

Some cameras have the capability to show the rule of thirds grid lines when looking through the viewfinder of your camera but don't worry, if not, just eyeball it, just imagine those lines. You don't need to be exact either. A simple way to do it is to just take your centered subject and move them a bit to the left or right and/or up or down in the framing before you take your photo. If you prefer though, you can also achieve this off-center placement in editing, by cropping your photo to shift from a mid point (if there is room around your subject, so this would not work for a close-up/macro shot).

By placing your subject off-center, you might convey movement/direction in your photo.

In this sample, the area of focus rests on the middle rider. Placing him, along with the other riders in the upper left portion of the frame directly affects the balance of the composition, giving a sense of movement, of direction, as they are riding off to the left of the frame. This is an effective way to communicate dynamic movement.

[​IMG]

In this sample, the hiker is off-center, in the left portion of the framing, conveying a sense of movement, of moving uphill.

[​IMG]

Off-center placement can also help to create context for the subject. By placing the subject off-center and allowing more of the background in the framing of your photo, you are capturing more details about the background, how it relates to the subject, as in this sample.

[​IMG]

CHALLENGE REQUIREMENTS:
    1. Please take a new photo or use an old photo, where the subject is off-center, to use in your layout design.
    2. Create a new layout for the challenge, using that photo with the off-centered subject (you may then use additional photos in your layout design).
    Your page must be in three places:
      • Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
      • Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
      • Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

****Enjoy the additional links and videos with further information you might find useful****

CAMERA APERTURE: some cameras have the capability of changing the aperture to apply the sharpest focus to your subject while the background/foreground appears blurred with a bokeh effect. This helps to enhance the focus on your subject but is not a required or necessary step for this challenge. But....if you have a camera that allows an aperture adjustment and would like to learn more about this feature, here is a short video by Jared Polin (who is just fun to watch, he's so entertaining) that will help explain aperture.

To learn more about rule of thirds, off-center composition, please enjoy reading these articles.
    http://www.techradar.com/how-to/pho...f-photo-composition-and-why-they-work-1320770
    http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/courses/simple/place-your-subject-off-center/
    https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5058631297/photo-tip-left-of-center
    https://petapixel.com/2015/03/16/9-photo-composition-tips-as-seen-in-photographs-by-steve-mccurry/

https://www.photoworkout.com/foucs-off-center-compositions/

Here is a Youtube video explaining the rule of thirds (off-center subject framing)

***Of note***
    If you would like to learn how to enhance your off-centered subject, please join me for the Slow Scrap tonight, January 16, 2018 at 6:00 pm Pacific Time. We'll be using blend modes and other layer adjustments. Hope you join me!

2. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Oh I really like this one! Love the photos you picked - so inspiring!

bcgal00 likes this.
  3. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

nevermind....I see you said I can use an old photo (thank you for that!)

bcgal00 likes this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    My main photo qualifies, but I played with the entire layout design too, thanks for a great challenge.

5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh this is a good excuse to take my trusty Rebel for a walk with me and snap some photos!!!!

6. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Hope this qualifies. Thanks for the tutorial. I am looking forward to the technique slow scrap. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

7. Thuria

Thuria Well-Known Member

Great! That's the kind of photos that I prefer.

bcgal00 likes this.
  8. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you for another great challenge
    Here is my page:
    [​IMG]

heathert, Pachimac, sbee and 6 others like this.
  9. LynnG

LynnG Designer

ToniSue, heathert, Pachimac and 12 others like this.
  10. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

11. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

This one is a piece of cake.. should not even have to take a new photo... off center is my normal style....

12. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

I rarely ever take photos like this, but I like the idea. I don't know how you all keep coming up with new challenges, but I really like them, I'm loving thinking about and completing them. (This being my first time.) My only challenge being, I keep having to spend money to buy more kits as I am new to TLP! (My birthday being two days ago and the sale you just had, so I could justify buying my birthday presents of kits, helped though!) Hee hee! :D

mcurtt, LynnG, EHStudios and 11 others like this.
  13. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thanks for the challenge Rae!

My page
    [​IMG]

muckeline, Pachimac, LynnG and 8 others like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@Genniejoy I'm so glad you are having fun playing along!
    And it's awesome that you were able to take advantage of the sale for your birthday! Happy birthday!

bcgal00 likes this.
  15. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

@Gennienjoy and don't forget this area in the store. I don't know what I would have done without this when I started MOC back in 2016. Money was tight and this REALLY helped me!!!! https://the-lilypad.com/store/Free-Products/

bcgal00 and bestcee like this.
  16. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

For the purposes of this challenge, I guess I best pick a photo I've taken, rather than one my husband took. :D

ummmm so far in the photos I've got bookmarked to use for MOC all my photos are the close ups. I have followed the rule of thirds in most of them, but it's not obvious. Maybe I'll browse through some other photos later or just take a new one.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Rikki, bcgal00 and bestcee like this.
  17. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Great Challenge!...Off-Centre Focus Photos Are More Common Than You Might Think...The Bench
    In The Picture That I Used In My Layout Is Slightly To The Right & So Are All The Word Art In The
    Layout...They Coincide With The Bench Perspective & They Are Also Slightly To The Right...

*For My Off Layout-I Used*

*Glisten-Dawn Inskip
    *Winter Wonderland-Kristin Aagard
    *Merry And Bright-Kristin Aagard

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Take a photo of the back of your new scrappers?

mcurtt and Angela Toucan like this.
  20. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Good opportunity to scrap a photo I had not already scrapped. I should make some more layouts featuring the seagulls I photograph on our different holidays.

[​IMG]

Pachimac, Graciela1, LynnG and 4 others like this.