January 15: Paper Blending (Technique Challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 15, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Hello everyone! Welcome to day 15 of MOC 5! I hope you are having a fabulous time. The challenge today is a technique challenge. You must blend/merge two or more papers together to use as your background layer in your layout.

If you haven't blended papers before, let me warn you, it is addictive. Blend as many papers together as you wish, but please blend at least two together. Follow the instructions (listed below) but if you want to play further, try some of the other optional tweaks too. This is at your discretion. Have fun!

Your editing program may look slightly different than this layers palette but I believe that most have the opacity and blend mode menu at the top of their layers palette.

[​IMG]
    PHOTOSHOP INSTRUCTIONS:
    Choose a paper for your first layer (I usually choose a solid color or lightly textured/patterned paper). This base layer remains untouched and the blending mode remains normal. Now choose a paper for your second layer. This second layer's blend mode will be changed, altering how the layer interacts with the layer below.

On your second (upper) layer, open the blend mode menu at the top of the layers panel by clicking on "normal" (the default mode), then you can scroll through all the blend modes or use your arrow keys to scroll through, and change the mode to something other than the "normal" mode. Changing the blend mode will affect how it interacts with the layer below.

If you are using Gimp, PSP or PSE, here are youtube links explaining blend modes:
    Paint Shop Pro Blend Modes:

Gimp Blend Modes:

Photoshop Elements Blend Modes:

OPTIONAL TWEAKS (not required):

After changing the blend mode, you may wish to try some of these additional alterations:
    • Reduce the opacity.
    • Duplicate the blended layer and change the blend mode.
    • Use a mask to brush away any unwanted areas or choose the eraser to remove any unwanted areas.
    • Edit the colors in any way you choose i.e. replace color, hue/sat adjustment, channel mixer, curves adjustment, etc.
    [​IMG]

Requirements:
    1. In your layout design, create a background of at least 2 papers.
    2. Change the blend mode on at least one layer.

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and not an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC page thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

londoncuppa, Karen, meterr and 8 others like this.
  2. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

You don't have a sample LO?

3. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Love this. I do this all the time, now I just have to go find what to scrap

4. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

@mollyc here is one I did for an earlier MOC challenge.

The bottom layer is a highly textured while from the Nov16 Mixed Media, then the flower pot paper is added on the next layer. I moved it over to the right. I added a layer mask with a gradient fade to mask out the flower paper from the left side. The first flower paper has a color burn blend mode, I actually duplicated this layer and the duplicate has a soft light blend mode. Hope this helps. I love, love, love to play like this in photoshop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  5. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Great challenge and I LOVE your page Rae!!!

6. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Oh, GREAT challenge! Love it.
    @bcgal00 I cannot see your sample page (I assume it is a sample page). It just shows a broken link.

7. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

Yes I understand how it is done. Just thought all pollys were supposed to have done a LO.

8. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I'm sure Rae @bcgal00 is working on getting it moved to the visible gallery. It's there she just has to fiddle behind the scenes to make it visible to all ... hang tight MOC scrappers! :heartlub

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Didn't realize you couldn't see my page. I'll get that fixed. Thx for the heads up about that.

Ta-da! The broken link should be fixed now and my sample page visible. Chalk that up to early morning and not enough coffee syndrome :) Happy scrapping everyone! Can't wait to see your pages!

jesskab likes this.
  10. bjthomas

bjthomas We will rock you!

Yay! An easy challenge with a technique very familiar with - thanks to a precious MOC challenge from another year! While some of these techniques may seem scary, out of our comfort zone, whatever feelings they provoke, I would encourage all of you to learn them, practice them, and then you might just amaze yourself and wonder why you haven't been doing this all along!

Chippi, lulyg14, bellbird and 2 others like this.
  11. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WOW!! Been digi scrapping for going on 8 years and can't believe what I learned in PSE by watching that YouTube video!!! For me it was always either Screen or Overlay. That's all I knew!! Thank you so much!!!

Karen and jesskab like this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

well that is the SPIRIT Bethany. love your words! :beat

bjthomas and Sokee like this.
  13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Nice Challenge Rae! Thanks for the links to videos!

Karen likes this.
  14. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks elseepe for your explanation and layout. It was helpful to know every step and your layout is wonderful.

elseepe likes this.
  15. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

16. MlleTerraMoka

MlleTerraMoka Well-Known Member

I'm not sure to understand the technique.
    I used two papers for my background. The first paper is black solid paper and the second is white paper with a texture (vertical line)
    The second layout has the option : linear density +
    My background has the color of my first paper and the texture of the second paper

[​IMG]

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Ga_L likes this.
  18. crazsquaw

crazsquaw I can totally make that...

19. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

great challenge

20. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

What a great challenge!
    [​IMG]