January 14: Journaling as Therapy

Discussion in 'MOC 11 Challenges' started by mocamom, Jan 14, 2023.

1. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

Hello and happy new year! Welcome to day 14 of MOC 2023! Guest Polly Robin here with a new challenge that I’m super passionate about. Y’all, I must tell you that there are two reasons I scrapbook. The first is to pass down memories to my kids and grandkids - I want them to have something of their past to hold on to. The second reason is to express my thoughts and feelings about life as I know it, so I try to include journaling on my pages. My grandma always said that holding feelings in only works for so long – then they come out with a vengeance and someone’s going to get hurt. I cannot convey how much it helps to put my emotions out there, and I truly believe it’s kept me sane (okay, somewhat sane). So many of us scrap only photos and don’t want to take the time to write about how we feel about them, so I’d like to use this challenge as an opportunity to encourage you to journal. It really is simple. Create a layout expressing your honest thoughts about something in your life. You can include photos or not. You can write about something you are happy about, or something you aren’t. You can express love, or you can express anger. You can leave the words so we can read them, or you can blur them so only you know what they say. You can write a letter to yourself or to someone else. Now, because I know you are going to ask, how much do you need to write for this challenge? You decide. My hope is that it’s a good bit more than a few sentences, but this is all about YOU and what YOU need. Just. Express. Yourself.

Let me show you what I mean. I wanted to convey how empty I felt when my kids started leaving home, but how happy I felt with the birth of my grandson, so I made this layout using Every Last Minute by Rachel Jefferies.

[​IMG]

For another example, this is a previous layout I made in the past about my daughter’s mental health and substance abuse.
    [​IMG]

Finally, here’s another previously made layout about how much my mom’s dog misses her.
    [​IMG]

All of these layouts made me feel a ton better after I finished them, and I hope this challenge will do the same for you! I cannot wait to see what you come up with.

So, to recap. Here are the challenge guidelines:

1. Make a layout and journal your feelings about something in your life.

2. Make it heartfelt.

That’s it!!

Some Gentle Reminders:

Your page must be a new page for it to count for the Month of Challenges.

Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).

2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.

3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.

Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). Products from other stores will not be allowed for MOC; your pages must contain 100% Lilypad product (current or retired product from designers or guest designers presently selling at The Lilypad).

crazsquaw, Karen, Ferdy and 1 other person like this.
  2. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

**Reserved for questions**

3. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you so much for hosting!!
    [​IMG]

5. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

6. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

7. lm44west

lm44west All You Need is Ice Cream

8. Brendazzle

Brendazzle Shooting on the Serengeti

I needed to get this scrapped anyway but it was nice to be able to count it towards the MOC
    [​IMG]

mocamom likes this.
  9. threadjungle

threadjungle Well-Known Member

10. Scrap by Irre

Scrap by Irre Well-Known Member

11. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

13. myka

myka Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge, it's always good to get things down on paper or down into the cyber-world of ones & zeros anyway. Heading out in the morning (3AM - Ow!) to help my folks, please keep me in your prayers....
    [​IMG]

mocamom and AJK like this.
  14. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

15. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

16. LynnG

LynnG Designer

20230114-mocday14-HMV-connecting-blackforest.jpg

With "Hear my Voice: Connecting" by myself and Rachel Jefferies

THAT’S ME with Mary the car in the Black Forest in Germany. While I will never regret those amazing months spent driving around Europe and sleeping in Mary, I do sometimes wonder if I have spent the rest of my life trying to recapture that feeling. The freedom, the excitement, the sense of the world opening up to me. Completely removed from ordinary life, as was possible in those pre-internet days when a phone call back to NZ would be prohibitively expensive (I only made one, from Greece, when K was born) and the only contact I had was an occasionally postcard sent to my parents. Nowadays there is nothing that surprises me and little that is novel to me and you can never truly disconnect. While I love spending time in places like Singapore, London, Australia that feel like second homes, maybe I need to find places and things to explore that are very different.

Karen, mocamom and angels like this.
  17. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

My kinda challenge.. now to choose from the billions of things going through my crazy brain to write about

mocamom and LynnG like this.
  18. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

19. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this great challenge Robyn, I am finding myself writing so much about myself when this MOC started and instead of fracking out, I am staring to enjoy it pretty much.
    [​IMG]

mocamom and LynnG like this.
  20. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

our sweet grandson was born still to our healthy and fit daughter. It was a shock and still is, even 10 years later. i cant believe it is 10 years

[​IMG]

mocamom, LynnG and AJK like this.