January 11: On This Day (Journaling Challenge)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by HeatherB, Jan 11, 2018.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Hello everyone and welcome to day 11 of our MOC! Today I have a Journaling Challenge for you. We have so many dates in our lives that are of significance to us. Personal ones, like birthdays and anniversaries or special moments we celebrate. Or national ones like country-wide events or even global ones like New Years Eve. You are to pick a date of significance and scrap it. It can be a personal, national or global event. And because we're journaling about an event, your page should include the date!

I've chosen a national event to scrap - in 2017 our country had its 150th birthday celebration on July 1st which was a huge deal here!

Here is the page that I made for today's challenge, which I've dated with a circular date control.
    [​IMG]

In order for your page to count, you must follow the challenge requirements:
    1. Pick a date of significance and scrap it. It can be a personal, national or global event.
    2. Your page must include the date (consisting of a month, day, and year). You may use a date element for this or just type it out.
    3. Your journaling should be a minimum of 150 words, in complete sentences, to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word 150 times. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me or Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    4. Your journaling should be legible and readable. If your page is not in English, we ask that you translate your journaling to English and post the translation in your gallery credits. If your journaling has been distressed or your font is too small to read, you should post your journaling in your gallery credits. Again, if your journaling is sensitive and/or personal, please message me or Julie directly to discuss.

Please also remember the standard MOC guidelines:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges.
    Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

I'm looking forward to seeing your pages about your events!

2. MsCarolina

MsCarolina Well-Known Member

Are we allowed to post an interview (questions and answers) for the journaling? I'm thinking of an interview on my son's birthday (we do this every year.

HeatherB likes this.
  3. HeatherB

Sure, as long as you meet the full sentences requirement and 150 words minimum, that sounds fine!

MsCarolina likes this.
  4. HeatherB

5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

OOOOOO. I have many dates in mind to scrap. Some bringing laughter, some bringing tears...hmmm.

Karen, AJK and HeatherB like this.
  6. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Hmmm Lots of dates, but 150 words about any of them could be a stretch!!!! Will sleep on this one...
    Will add a question here.. just thought of something I could do... How much product do we have to use... none is mentioned.... thinking about using a template from another site... and that is a 15% deduction... While I am asking... Can I do a double page spread? Thanks....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    HeatherB likes this.
  7. HeatherB

The product requirement is 75% Lilypad products so if you use a template from another site, that counts only 15%.

Also, a double page spread is most definitely acceptable!

8. LynnG

LynnG Designer

KittyY, Christina W, Mylinn and 18 others like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You can do it! Describe the scene that caused the event, or that the event happened at! I bet if you were to tell me in person you would have well over 150 words!

HeatherB likes this.
  10. Genniejoy

Genniejoy Well-Known Member

I love to journal to 'tell the story' so this is my kind of challenge! :) Will have to think about it though, which one of ALL the important dates I've yet to scrap, will I choose??? :)

HeatherB likes this.
  11. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    It was always a tradition in my family to celebrate New Year's day with steak. All the 20 + years I lived at home my parents fixed t-bone steaks. This habit was so ingrained in me that when I married I carried the tradition on in my family. It actually is a scrumptious tradition to hold. Rich's Mom's tradition was to always put some pennies on a windowsill. That was a tadition that I never picked up on even though she was a wonderful person. My Dad worked as a letter carrier and he would recieve bottles of liquor at Christmas. My parents never drank except on New Year's Eve. We could stay up until midnight and then have a coke with some of the liquor my Dad got. Looking back I know it was never more than a drop but boy did we think we had a lot. We would get so silly and pretend we were drunk. As much fun as it was, that was never a tradition I carried on with our kids. Now Rich and my tradition is to have some treats and a bottle of champagne. The steak tradition will always be part of my New Year day and my New Year traditions. January 1, Every Year

KittyY, HeatherB, Karen and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I love this!!! My pocket styles never look this good!!!

bjc and HeatherB like this.
  13. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

If you are unable to read the journaling, I have shared it in the gallery:
    [​IMG]

KittyY, Mylinn, Genniejoy and 4 others like this.
  14. *gina*

*gina* It's all about the 3-C's

Thank you for this challenge.
    Here is my page
    [​IMG]

15. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement... I have already decided on last Mothers Day and so much went on, words will not be a problem... will be a double page spread... How would you advise I post it? 2 single pages to the same post here, and of course separate in the gallery or do they need to be attached together....

HeatherB and cookingmylife like this.
  16. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I chose a "national day" - National Milk Day, because it happens to fall today, Jan. 11:
    [​IMG]

Mylinn, JenniferJ, mcurtt and 5 others like this.
  17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I decided to journal about the first national event that made a difference in my childhood and, in my mind, was the harbinger for the turbulent times that filled the decade after it. Plus I realized that there are not that many years to go before all those who witnessed this will be gone.
    [​IMG]

KittyY, Mylinn, HeatherB and 5 others like this.
  18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

It's from the same national event roughly as Lynn's is - I'm more focused on election day itself
    [​IMG]

KittyY, Christina W, Mylinn and 5 others like this.
  19. elk2009

elk2009 Hello, gorgeous

20. Farwen

Farwen Well-Known Member

@HeatherB Is Halloween considered an event? Because I'm still recovering from the other journaling challenge and I'd prefer a more fun subject this time :)

MrsGaramer, Trina513 and HeatherB like this.