January 10 - Photos + Words

Discussion in 'MOC 11 Challenges' started by lcpereyra, Jan 10, 2023.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

January 10: Photos + Words

Hello and welcome to today’s challenge! I’m very happy to host this MOC as it brings together my complete love of photos and words to tell a story.

My heart has always been in capturing life and the world around me and doing this via photography. Adding my thoughts and feelings about what what those images represent to me brings my story to life and makes the process feel so meaningful. Seeing these two elements combined, complimenting one another, is absolutely the heart of my memory keeping and life documenting. I truly believe that when the lessons of the head and heart are joined, I am brought home to where I need to be. And so this belief is the springboard for today’s MOC: Using our photos and words to look back so we can move forward.

Today, we are going to reflect on things in our past, use them to gain insight into lessons we learned, how they have shaped how we now view or experience things, and how we can take that understanding into the coming year. We will use photos and words to convey this message.

What you look back on can be anything meaningful to you…good/not so good, serious/funny, one event/a serious of happenings over the years…whatever you’d like to reflect on. What did you learn from this? How will you use the lesson or new insight going forward? Use 1-3 photos and at least 1/4 page journaling to share your reflection on looking back to move forward.

Requirements:

1. 1 to 3 photos
    2. At least 1/4 page journaling:

• Your journaling should be in complete sentences to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word over and over. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me or Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    As an example, I often have thoughts and feelings that I want to express in my memory keeping, but don’t have a particular photo from one event that conveys my message. So I will use my photos that represent what I am feeling and pair those photos with my words to express my sentiments, which is what I have done in my layout for this challenge:

mychallengemoc23web.jpg
    Credits: Lynn Grieveson Designs Harvest Paint, Designed by Soco Awakening & Silver Linings, Paislee Press Happy Little Moments, One Little Bird Turning Leaves & This Year

Your photo/s can directly relate to your journaling or they can be symbolic like in my layout. Your journaling should express your message on looking back to move forward - past experiences, lesson learned, and how that will guide you moving forward.

I look forward to seeing your pages for this challenge! Create your layout however you like - any style, design, embellishments you desire and makes this page special for you. Just be sure to include 1-3 photos and a minimum of 1/4 page journaling about looking back in your past, the lessons learned, and how you'll move forward.

Reminder:

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:
    1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). Product from other stores will not be allowed for MOC; your pages must contain 100% Lilypad product (current or retired product from designers or guest designers presently selling at The Lilypad).

2. lcpereyra

Reserved for Questions

Q: Is there a word count requirement?

A:No word count, but minimum 1/4 of the page should be journaling. The hope is you can use this space (or more) to keep to the heart of the challenge and tell a longer story.

Q: Can I use song lyrics as my journalling? ... I have a specific song in mind that actually says it all.

A: As long as you can then use those lyrics as part of talking about what the lessons learned are and how you’ll use those lessons going forward. The lyrics are someone else’s words and this challenge should be about your words so the lyrics can supplement the story but not be the story.

Q: Can it be in a question/answer format, or list format (as long as it takes up 1/4 of the page)?

A: As long as your journaling/story is formatted as complete sentences throughout, this is okay.
    At least 1/4 page journaling:
    • Your journaling should be in complete sentences to qualify as complete. Word art will not qualify toward your word count. You cannot use the same word over and over. You cannot use the same sentence over and over again. Journaling challenges are meant for telling stories; if your journaling is sensitive or personal, please message me or Julie (mrs2a50) directly to discuss.
    Q: I know the challenge is 1-3 photos. Is it OK if I put in some journaling cards or slide mounts in places where I can add photos later? I have about 6 photos to tell the story well. I'd like to be able to fulfill the challenge rules, then add my photos after without having to completey redo the layout. is that ok?

A: Yes

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    crazsquaw likes this.
  3. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@lcpereyra - Is there a word count requirement?

4. Skivvy

Skivvy Well-Known Member

5. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

@lcpereyra Can I use song lyrics as my journalling? ... I have a specific song in mind that actually says it all.

6. lcpereyra

No word count, but minimum 1/4 of the page should be journaling. The hope is you can use this space (or more) to keep to the heart of the challenge and tell a longer story.

7. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

This was a very hard one, I am not good at writing so much in a layout...but I am glad I finished it, even when I don't like how it looks, I did my best.
    [​IMG]

8. lcpereyra

As long as you can then use those lyrics as part of talking about what the lessons learned are and how you’ll use those lessons going forward. The lyrics are someone else’s words and this challenge should be about your words so the lyrics can supplement the story but not be the story.

CathQuillScrap likes this.
  9. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    scrappydonna, LynnG, tlcd1961 and 3 others like this.
  10. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member

11. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge! (Google translation in credits)

[​IMG]

LynnG, KarenB, Karen and 2 others like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

13. andersm

andersm You can check out anytime you like ...

Lori, thank you so much for the prompting to write about something meaningful in my life. This was a lesson I've been wanting to write about but just didn't take the time or energy yet. And I'm still working on trying to learn it every day.
    [​IMG]

scrappydonna, LynnG, MariSt and 3 others like this.
  14. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Great challenge

[​IMG]

MamaBee, LynnG, KarenB and 2 others like this.
  15. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

16. Brendazzle

Brendazzle Shooting on the Serengeti

17. triplejdesigns

triplejdesigns Well-Known Member

This one was hard for me as I am not one to journal usually. I am happy with how it turned out though.
    [​IMG]

LynnG, angels, KarenB and 1 other person like this.
  18. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I love the challenge of words (a story) + photos -- my favorite kind of layout. I chose a simple style (reminds me of my mother's early photo album with black pages where she pasted in white rimmed b&w photos).

[​IMG]

And here's the redo with only 3 photos:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    LynnG, KarenB and threadjungle like this.
  19. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

20. lm44west

lm44west All You Need is Ice Cream