it's too early, but also it's not | Pad Patter 27 Aug

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Aug 27, 2021.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Apologies in advance because I'm not sure if this post needs a trigger warning or not but because of covid and major delivery lags, i've started Christmas shopping already. Online shopping, of course.

This is waaay too early for even me to be thinking like this, around October is more normal as we don't do Halloween but last year i remember not being sure if somethings would be delivered in time and so i'm having an internal battle and fighting the idea of 'it's too early'.

Are you sticking your fingers in your ears and trying to block me out right now:lalala or is everyone thinking about this sort of stuff early this year too?:tree

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m in the blissful ignorance camp when it comes to that…..I usually don’t think of that sort of thing til November or usually early December.

bellbird likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I agree that earlier this year is a good idea to get started on shopping. Who knows what the fall will be like and I’d rather get some shopping done early too.

bellbird likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm planning to start early. I have a little guy that I don't want to disappoint. I don't usually start nearly this early, but I'm starting to, at least, think about it.

bellbird likes this.
  5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

[​IMG]

LOLOLOL... It's still in the 90s every day, I just can't do it yet, LOL :)

AJK and bellbird like this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I made the first Christmas card last week, does that count ? Sorry I said the word out loud....

bellbird likes this.
  7. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Scrooge here. We jumped off the frenzy over 10 years ago. I love food though, so I make a traditional (though vegetarian) Swedish Christmas dinner every year. Just cuz I hate Christmas, doesn't mean I don't love eating. LOL

So ... No, won't start my shopping until mid December, since I only buy food for Christmas. :)

bellbird likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Nope, we have birthdays still at the end of October and Christmas shopping can not possibly be done before that.

bellbird and AJK like this.
  9. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

I buy gifts all year round when I see something suitable that they might like - so I collect a kind of "treasure chest" and am happy that I already have surprise gifts for Christmas and birthday.
    Usually we buy Christmas presents during our vacations when we see something nice.
    And I'll buy the Rest from around October - I'll be finished at the end of November - also with the packaging - and then I can enjoy the advent time more relaxed and only buy nice little things at the Christmas markets.

bellbird likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes and No.
    I've bought three gifts so far, not because I was actively Christmas shopping. I saw them, one was on clearance and in a store I don't often frequent. So, I picked them up thinking they would be great for Christmas gifts.

I'm still looking forward to Halloween, my October birthday, two Thanksgivings (American/Canadian) and Labor Day long weekend. But, having a few Christmas gifts in the top of closet won't change my excitement for those events.

bellbird likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't buy Christmas gifts for anyone so it doesn't matter when I start (or not!).

But I do think you are smart in starting early because if things keep going as they are with COVID, who knows if what you might want will even be available in 2 to 3 months. So I say, go for it!

bellbird likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Nah. Not concerned. I have vowed to begin making the gifts earlier- starting next month instead of in November and up to last minute in December!:giggle:giggle:giggle

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  13. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I keep hearing that people who wait are going to have trouble getting what they want, and given what I've seen with back to school supplies here I believe it. (The stores by us are completely out of school supplies, but I was able to order what we needed without a problem. In a few weeks, once the later districts go back, I wouldn't be surprised if even the online supplies are picked over. I wish they gave us the lists before school like they did back in elementary school! Back on topic...)

I usually start in November, but I'm planning to start early this year. Not quite THIS early (because we just paid my tuition and bought the kids' back to school supplies), but sometime in September. Two of my kids have October and December birthdays, so I need to shop for those at the same time.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well the DD sings/plays Christmas music year around because her birthday is Christmas day. But no, not yet for me. I am too busy Rushing FALL to get here!!!!

I bought some new Fall theme coffee mugs (okay, I bought a lot and I will give some away (okay maybe one) as presents) - and a fall candle at Chaulkfulloflove.com. And I bought Fall stickers for my planner and I am scouting the stores for the pumpkin spice stuff. Now if the weather would just get with the program, that would be nice.

bellbird likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I ordered my first Christmas gift today. I was talking to my youngest dd and she said she'd love to have a cast iron skillet. Boom - first gift!

rach3975 and bellbird like this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

:lalala

Kind of thinking about it, but not really. I'm considering doing experience gifts for everyone this year unless there is something specific that someone wants.

bestcee likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

One of the things I did last year were experiences for DD.... & then Delta. (It so backfired. I'm hoping we get to see Hamilton in December!) I ordered some mystery boxes& subscription boxes this time, one turned up today, I'm feeling accomplished (& hopefully I dont cave & give everything to them before Xmas which is half the reason I usually shop late!)

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Best way to do it! I'm bookmarking a heap of things as I find gift inspiration!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol I'm not at the point of playing jingle Bells yet either but I hope your fall weather comes soon so you can enjoy all those things!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Back to school shopping is January here but I know what you mean about needing lists sooner than later! There's no grid books or music books left by the time they find out what size grid or style of book is required. We struggled to find an acceptable Art book this year for SS & well now he's been doing online learning for like 6 -7 weeks & til at least the start of Nov & they're not using it anyway. The extra shopping for Dec birthdays feels like a balancing act here too!

rach3975 likes this.