It's harder than I thought

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by enjoyyourpix, Jul 18, 2017.

1. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I'm going through this with my DD who's DD is going 11 hours away to college. My GD will be in my city so I'll see her more but that doesn't help Mom. They are more like sisters so this will be especially hard on Mom. I'm trying to prop up both of them right now. This next month will be very hard on all of us. Hugs to you as you handle your transition.

2. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Oh my! I'm 3 years away from sending my first off...and I'm already dreading it. She was away a couple of weeks ago for an entire week and I couldn't talk to her. I was a mess! While she was away I was thinking about how I was going to handle it in 3 years or so when she moves away...and I just couldn't fathom it. I kept thinking of all you moms who have went before me. ((hugs))

3. LynnG

LynnG Designer

It's strange isn't it? When my eldest left I was really surprised that for a few days I just found myself crying randomly. I really didn't expect it, especially as she hadn't gone far! But I just went with it. (Sadly it didn't go well and she ended up back with us although still at uni and doing very well academically. Maybe I had a premonition!) Anyway, be kind to yourself, just feel the feelings :-) and if they are happy and revelling in their independence and don't have much time to touch base with you as a result of that, then that's a blessing of sorts too :yup

patsyt and enjoyyourpix like this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

We were overseas when my two sons started college so it was just part of the life experience. That was 35+ years ago and I don't think parents felt the way many do now. I know we expected it and knew it was time to fly the nest. Plus there were no cells phones, the net etc. to encourage that kind of attachment. Even my dil admits her son is a Mama's boy because of FaceTime.

5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Big momma hugs! I have one that just graduated and is moving to China for a year (yep, we like in the US). I completely understand how you feel and it's weird how you can be so proud of them and so upset to see them go all at once. I'm pretty sure that's how we are supposed to feel.

Follow her on all the social media platforms and she'll never be far away! And vent here anytime!

6. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Big Hugs! I actually went to a counselor for a few months when my son went to college. I may be going back now that daughter has graduated college, seminary, and got married.

jenevang likes this.