Issues with templates under CS6

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by alinalove, Jan 27, 2021.

1. alinalove

alinalove Well-Known Member

Hey fellow scrappers!
    I still use CS6 and the last 3 templates that I used, all from different designers, all new from this month, gave me huge issues.
    PS gave up several times, one time even wouldn't come back again, I had to restart the computer.
    One thing that I found, that when I could save to jpeg (I had issues with that, too), the file would get to be like 4 to 5 times larger than usual.
    It's a huge pita to play with templates now and I really have no idea what to do.
    I never had any problems with my CS6 version. When I don't use templates everything is fine.

Anyone else?

2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I use CS6 on a PC with system 10. I have not had any problems lately. Could you give me the names of the specific templates and I can give them a try.

alinalove likes this.
  3. alinalove

Thank you, Carol @Iowan !
    It happened with all three MOC templates. Fiddle Dee Dee, Rachel and Pink Reptile.
    I happen to work with windows 10 as well.
    I have a hunch that it may be a compatibility issue with the newest CC version, but I have no idea what the 3 designers are working with.

Edit: It also may be Fiddle Dee Dee or Rachel, because I had to use them both in one layout. It was always an additional issue when I wanted to get something from Fiddle Dee Dee over into the existing layout.
    I use Rachel's templates quite often and never ran into an issue. I might have to try something from this year.

Editing to clarify Fiddle Dee Dee OR Rachel because I scrapped with both. I suppose it's not Rachels, because I never had issues with hers. Who knows though, what changed on CC with updates.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  4. alinalove

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I know Cheryl is on CC. Idk about Rachel or Mirjam.

Are you on PC or MAC? I've seen a lot of issues with CS6 not working right on Macs lately.

alinalove likes this.
  6. alinalove

@bestcee I'm on PC with Windows 10.

bestcee likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@alinalove - which version of the templates are you using? psd, tif??? that might help Carol @Iowan narrow down the issue. There may be some compatibility issues with the newer psd files. I use tifs and don't have a problem, but I don't have CS6 to test it out for you.

It could have something do to with the template shapes... I know the newer versions of CC allow bigger shapes than CS6 did, so maybe the smart object shapes are causing memory issues when the graphics card has to redraw the layout with each change. If there are smart objects does it help to select all and rasterize them and then play with the template?

Iowan and alinalove like this.
  8. alinalove

I use the psd files. Will try the tiff file of the last template with a different layout, just to see if I run into problems.

Will try the rasterizing as well.

Thank you for chiming in! @keepscrappin
    <3

Iowan and keepscrappin like this.
  9. Iowan

@alinalove @keepscrappin
    I have used all of them and I used the tif versions (only because they have thumbnails of the kits ). Maybe you could try the tifs and see if it solves the issues.

alinalove and keepscrappin like this.
  10. alinalove

@Iowan Thank you! I'm just now playing with the prd template again. will let you know how it goes! <3

bellbird and Iowan like this.
  11. alinalove

Thank you @Iowan @keepscrappin and @bestcee
    So far it looks as if the tiff doesn't give me issues. I will test it out further and if I run into something will post here.

It's so good to be able to ask here <3

Karen, bellbird, keepscrappin and 2 others like this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I still use CS6 on a Win10 PC - I use Tiffs when they are available & haven't had any real issues

alinalove and Iowan like this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@alinalove How are you saving your layouts? Are you using SAVE or SAVE AS or SAVE FOR WEB? Try using SAVE FOR WEB and when that window pops open change the image size to 600x600, then click on the hamburger (four horizontal lines in the top corner of the window) and choose OPTIMIZE TO FILE SIZE. DESIRED FILE SIZE should be 250 K.

@bestcee Courtney is correct that I use PSCC. I'm wondering if it's the custom shadows that are included in my templates and/or the gradient overlay included on the photos that's causing your issues? @keepscrappin I don't have smart objects in my templates, so no need to rasterize for those. @Iowan Would you troubleshoot using the PSD file for Fiddlesticks Number 73 and see if it's giving you the same issues?

@alinalove We'll see what Carol says when she uses the PSD file. If she's unable to replicate the experience, I'm thinking it might also be your graphics card and/or your preferences for performance. We'll get this figured out one way or the other!

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  14. Iowan

i just opened both psd templates from the combine two templates challenge, transferred most of the layers of Cheryl's to Rachel's template, and saved it with no hang ups. Hmmm? Not sure what is going on with your copy of CS6.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    alinalove and gonewiththewind like this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@alinalove OK, now that we know that it does work in CS6 then I'm thinking this might be a graphics card and/or preferences issue. When you have a moment, if you'll go to EDIT > PREFERENCES, and screen shot what your settings are for PERFORMANCE as well as SCRATCH DISKS. Once I can take a look at those, we'll see where to go from here. :)

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am one step BEHIND you... I'm still using PS CS5 on Windows 10. I haven't had any issues with crashing or anything like that and I used all three of the MOC templates you linked up. Occasionally I do notice when I save my resized down version at 600x600 pixels and 72 dpi they are HUGE file sizes. Then I have to do the save for web method of saving which in my opinion makes the quality pretty bad, but at least I can get my layouts uploaded and I know the full size version will be good for printing.

alinalove likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't know if it works in CS5, I assume it does. If you stamp the top layer (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E Windows) and pull it to a new canvas, usually it solves the issue. I'm never sure why some save huge - once it was a paper causing the issue for me. But the stamp layer has always worked for me.

alinalove likes this.
  18. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I use CS6 on Windows 7 and have not have any issues with PSD templates during MOC but I do have issues with TIF ones which is why I only ever use the PSD versions.

alinalove likes this.
  19. alinalove

I'm using all of the above save tools. Save As to save the original template as my own layout (as psd and later as jpeg), save to... save it :D and save for web after I downsized the jpeg. As I said the save as jpeg gives me issues especially. Either it gives me errors or ps is crashing. The save for web never really worked for me from the original psd file. I always save as jpeg first, then downsized, then save for web.

I tend to run into these problems when the layout is already loaded with lots of papers and elements. I tried to rasterize a lot and merge layers etc but it didn't change anything in the issues.
    So when I combined the templates at first it wasn't an issue. I tend to "save" save before I apply my actions, pretty much before I'm finished, and that's often when the horror happens. It's also sometimes when I pull another piece into the layout that I get error messages and then I can't save and have to kill ps, so I at least have a later version of the file.
    And to say this again: I NEVER had issues before the last templates and even now when I don't use templates, I have no issues, even with super loaded layouts (mine are always loaded :D).

20. alinalove

[​IMG]Screenshot 2021-01-28 114047 by Alina Love, auf Flickr
    [​IMG]Screenshot 2021-01-28 114134 by Alina Love, auf Flickr

I had already upped the memory usage when I ran into the template issues, it was at 2400 before.

gonewiththewind likes this.