Is this happening in your side of the world too??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by PLM, Mar 21, 2015.

1. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

This morning, we saw our neighbours and they were devestated. One of their better friends has killed herself along with her 2 children, the youngest being 6 months old. They knew she had issues and had been trying to help her, but she was depressed with her cry-baby and locked herself more and more up in her shell.
    Of course, they never expected this family drama.

It seems to me these stories happen more and more in my country. A few months ago, a mother locked 2 of her children up in the gardenhouse and set it on fire. She tried to kill herself, but didn't succeed... Her eldest wasn't there, so she has to live with this drama too.

I understand people can be depressed and I even aknowledge that it can bring people to the worst thoughts and actions. But personally, I do not comprehend how you can take your children with you....
    I'm not affected personally, but I have been thinking about this whole morning allready... :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

stories like this are beyond heartbreaking! my first response is always 'how could someone do that to their child?' when i really pause to think about how desperate and hurt and unhappy a person must really feel to even begin to consider this, let alone carry through, my heart hurts for them. no one should ever have to experience that depth of hurt and desperation and feeling of hopelessness.

3. ArisaMinamoto

ArisaMinamoto Crazy for Coffee

it is very tragic that many people do not get the help they need. sometimes it is the only way out for these people. happens all too often in this world, unfortunately.
    my mom has depression and borderline... and I can only say the system sucks, from experience.

4. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

That is so tragic. I can't imagine how a parent could do that to their child but they must have been delusional to do so.

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

It sounds like postpartum psychosis is likely. Andrea Yates was a famous case like that in the US some years ago. The thing is, people like this NEED help but are so unlikely to get it for themselves, and often the people who could intervene don't know it's as bad as it is. Or they do get help but don't know how seriously to take it. It's so hard for everyone involved.

6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I can't even imagine in what horrible pain these moms had to be to do such a horrible thing. Depression is a very powerful thing and people need to understand the horrible repercussions of it.

7. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Before and during my pregnancy, I was a health advocate for University College of London- I worked in a lot of cases of post natal depression-
    I couldn't understand how it could possibly happen, the post natal depression, let alone a woman going for an action as such.....
    I also have to confess that the night before she was born (I had an elective cesarean because of my congenital problem, I couldn't have a normal delivery) I was terrified to the possibility of me not bonding with the child..... precisely because I had seen so many women who had the problem...
    I don't think it is a problem that is happening MORE..... I just think we have more communication access and we know more about it, but women doing terrible things to their children is documented through history-

It still is heartbreaking, and more than anything when these women don't have help....
    The whole social lack of help for women, be that domestic violence abise, rape victims and post natal depression, as much as the kids that are separated from their parents, had me wanting to study social work....
    I even did the foundation course and was in the Uni....(pass the exam) but my health does not allow for me to attend classes :(

8. wendy85

wendy85 Guest

this is always such a terrible thing. The feeling for these depressed people must be so bad, to make them do this...
    It's always heartbreaking when i child i taken from live this way.

9. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I think it's true that we hear about these things more because of social media, world wide instantaneous communications, etc. but I wonder if it is actually happening more too. So many pollutants in our atmosphere, hormones and poisons in our food and water supplies, stresses just to survive.... I feel horrible for those innocent children, but I feel sorrow and remorse for a mom who felt so hopeless her last effort to protect her children was to take them with her...

10. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Sanitation and medicine have gotten so much better, though, and stress is nothing new. I do think Cyn is right that we just hear about it more. Pregnancy and birth has always been a hormonal roller coaster because that's how it works. I had prenatal depression, which almost no one hears about. Nothing so drastic as these cases, but I certainly wasn't my normal self. It took all my energy to just go about my day without crying all the time, I didn't have any left over to be much of anyone. I can't imagine having to actually take care of a baby or child while feeling that way.

11. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

I know, it's all not that easy and I have been able to give it a place right now.
    Thank you for your thoughts girl...

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

It is happening all over and not even with women with young children.. I read yesterday re a Detroit woman who killed 2 of her children (when?? No clue.. could have been almost a year before) and had the 11 & 15 year old in her deep freezer that was just inside the townhouse.. she had 2 other children a 8 and 17 year old and it was only found as people came to evict her out of the townhouse... weird stuff in the world all over.

13. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

Oh, my gosh. There but for the grace of God go I.... I thank God for my good health and mental state. All these stories are so tragic. It is so hard for those left behind. I had a friend who's husband committed suicide... so hard....