Is there life left in Picasa?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by ForeverJoy, Aug 15, 2016.

1. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

I'm on a photo organization kick- and I'm wondering, even though it's no longer "supported" - how many of you still use Picasa to organize your photos on your computer- and have you successfully moved your photos and Picasa tags over to a new one since Google broke up with it?

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

good on ya re: organisation - hope someone else can chime in re: picasa, last time i used it was about 2 laptops ago...

ForeverJoy likes this.
  3. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I'm no help -- I use Picasa to view my photos, but I don't tag anything. I use Lightroom to download and automatically file them, but I can't ever find the pictures again using LR, so I keep going back to Picasa to look at them. I don't know what I'll do if (when?) it stops working for me.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

snort...I'm still on the paper and pen organization! lol

ForeverJoy likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@ForeverJoy ~ don't know about Picasa, but Lightroom is awesome for this. The final session in the Lightroom series in Thursday night and we are covering organization . . . photos, supplies, layouts, etc.! You might get some ideas from it. If you can't attend, it will be recorded, and worth maybe watching later for ideas.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  6. ForeverJoy

Thanks Cheryl! @gonewiththewind - its just that I have almost all my photos "facially recognized" and that what makes pulling together a layout so much easier- and since it took forevahhh to do that- I'm going to be a mess if I cant carry it over :(

gonewiththewind likes this.
  7. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Lightroom does facial recognition, too! And you could carry your existing facial recognition over to Lightroom by tagging each person in Picasa, then using those tags in Lightroom to quickly add all of your photos to its recognition system.

gonewiththewind and ForeverJoy like this.
  8. ForeverJoy

whhhhaaaatttt??? @scrappyjedi !!! And i can carry that over when I change computers??? It imports???

gonewiththewind likes this.
  9. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Okay, it doesn't import facial recognition directly, BUT if Picasa writes tags to the image metadata (it looks like it does), then you could go into Picasa's facial recognition and tag images with the person's name. That tag would import to Lightroom (because it's part of the metadata), and then you could simply filter on each person's tag and add them to Lightroom's facial recognition.

Does that make sense? It's not a direct import and does take a little work, but it shouldn't be too bad!

bellbird and gonewiththewind like this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

^^^WSS ~ the metadata should follow the images! There will be some work but not as much as retagging everything!