Is there an element you never use?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 4, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Inspired by @michelepixels thread about what elements we use on our layouts.

What element or elements do you struggle with using on layouts?

michelepixels likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

For me 100% it’s paper clips followed closely by unthreaded buttons. With paper clips, I struggle to get them to look clipped on properly to any papers and well unthreaded buttons just seem weird to me

bellbird likes this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Unthreaded buttons for me too, I struggle most with washi. It's too much hassle to dodge and burn to make it look stuck on, and in my paper scrapping days the tape was hidden and not a design element. And stuff that's very dimensional like those coiled paper "flowers" that I can't cluster with. I know that it may be daft, but if I wouldn't use it in real life, I will seldom use it on a digipage, think rusty bolts and gears.

bellbird likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Thick, heavy objects like frames. Like @Eyeore I started as a paper scrapper, so my mind still struggles with adding thick and heavy objects because "It'll tear the paper!". If I can tell myself it's a sticker then I can usually use it, but I always struggle with heavy frames.

3BluEyedBabies and bellbird like this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yeah, I don't like thick things I wouldn't put on a paper scrapbook page too! If I use a frame, it's usually a paper one. I rarely use paper clips and never use binder clips (which seemed so popular at one time, which baffled me). I prefer flatter more realistic flowers or flat sticker/paper ones if I use them; I actually don't like using flowers of any kind very much. I don't even care much for foliage.

bellbird and AJK like this.
  6. StefanieS

@michelepixels Somehow I love binder clips, and add a string bow or ribbon to them often too.
    Seldom will I add heavy looking frames though, that's another check from me.
    Ok, chalk me up in the weird category.
    [​IMG]

bellbird, michelepixels and bestcee like this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I hear you on the binder clips. I have kits (from a non-TLP designer) that are older and have about 10+ clips in various colors in one kit. I struggle to use them.

Otherwise, I would say anything in pink or grey - my two least favorite colors.

bellbird and AJK like this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I love washi, but I also use a Mommyish style to give them a little shadow and depth. This wasn't the pack I got... but this is what I could see in the store. https://the-lilypad.com/store/CU-PU-Stylin-240.html I think the one I have is retired.

Like you all, I started as a paper scrapper. Heavy frames and big bulky items are usually a no. I don't use paperclips cause I don't take the time to shadow them correctly, and I get annoyed, lol! This happens with other things a lot. I want ease. :giggle Certain things that don't sit well on my page and look funny shadowed usually get bypassed (very realistic items maybe - curly ribbons sometimes, or wooden clothespins, candy canes, etc.)

Oh, and I can use any button... I would usually stick a glue dot on the back in my IRL paper scrapbooks.... I even glued colored pebbles, like dime sized. That page is a little bulky, hahah!

bellbird and littlekiwi like this.
  9. StefanieS

Thanks so much @jk703 that's made it on to my wishlist for now. I tend to use One Little Bird's shadow styles and call it good enough. Her style set is amazing.

bellbird and jk703 like this.
  10. jk703

Agreed! She was how I first learned how to shadow! Since then, a lot of tweaking for my own likes! :)

bellbird likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I didn't used to use wordart, but am starting to know, although only if a suitable one is in the kit(s) I'm using. Searching through wordart stash to find what I need takes longer than using a special font or alpha.

bellbird likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My solution for this is I started naming the wordart with the name or theme if the designer just names it 1, 2,3 etc.

bellbird and Angela Toucan like this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Washi, paint and scatters are high on my rarely used list. Journal cards as well. I have used paper clips but rarely. Same with frames. I'd rather frame my photos with mats just like I used to do when traditional scrapping. Didn't do bulky then, don't do bulky now.

bellbird likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

@jk703 - hope you don’t mind me asking but I’m intrigued.Do you just use the washi tape style you’ve linked above on already premade washi to add dimension/make it more realistic or do you create your own?

jk703 likes this.
  15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ditto on the pink or grey, with exception to pages for Lila- she loves pink. Binder clips- nah...don't like scribbles anymore either. If the elements are "messy" they will be passed over, which is funny since yesterday's page I claimed the term messy. But I like more artistic than childish things. I don't use the geo markers either.

bellbird likes this.
  16. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I don't like threaded buttons. I've never paper scrapped, but if I did, there's no way I'd sew a button, I'd use glue!

To answer your question, I don't know what to do with straight ribbons, other than hide them beneath 10 layers of stuff.

17. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I am not at all a fan of Stickers...

SeattleSheri and bellbird like this.
  18. jk703

I'm going to try an answer your question with my process. :)

I place washi on my layout - usually the non shadowed version if there are options - then go to my styles and then use a Mommyish tape style (I think my pack had 6-8 styles to choose from, with and without shadows). Click, and done. I can tell you which pack later, as I'm at work, and I don't know the number off hand. I do not use the one above, but you definitely could - I'm referring to the style (not the tape pieces she includes). You could apply the style she includes to pre-existing washi in kits. Does that help?

I probably would have done this to the striped washi on this layout, but I for sure could let you know later if you wanted. I'm not quite sure if the washi was included in the kit. Many times, I add the style to washi in kits too. If the washi isn't the specific paper that I want, I usually clip my wanted paper, and then add the style also. Some washi is hard to see, but this one is pretty clear.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Added one more page with a lot of visible washi....

19. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I don’t think I’ve ever met an element I didn’t like or use (tee hee) although I will go through phases where I will use one type of element more frequently. For example, I used to staple everything to the layouts but don’t do that as much anymore.

20. littlekiwi

Thanks, that makes total sense.

jk703 likes this.