Internet privacy and scrapping

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Oct 6, 2018.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I figure it is too late for most of us. Remember the whole Big Brother thing from 1984 (that was the book, right?)? I used to always think, who would volunteer that much info about themselves? Now we have Facebook and other social media. Anything electronic never goes away - it is out there somewhere. All those likes you made, all those comments, all those posts, all those Amazon orders, all those websites you visited.... Ever stop to wonder why the ads you see are often related to your recent searches or even just visits of sites? I even know what my kids are searching for on Amazon since they use our account; I see ads for those items on Facebook. Sure someone isn't using the data for malicious intent, but could they? I hope not.

Back in 2014, I downloaded my Facebook account. It included every picture with comments, every post, all the groups and pages I liked, etc. all the way back to 2009. Yeah, they have it.

bestcee, HavaDrPepper and cinderella like this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

To be honest- I'm not really that concerned by it. I feel there are a lot easier ways to find out our personal details than dissecting my scrapbook layouts. On googling- not much comes up for me, my husband or my kids. Actually, ZERO images show up under my kids' names- but that maybe just a false sense of security. I agree with Jen that in this 'digital information' age- there's not much you can do about it. I keep my personal fb locked up pretty tight, but keep my layouts public for CT purposes. I guess I'm just naive, but am more worried about my credit reports than images. :shrug

Tree City and jk703 like this.
  3. sucali

sucali sucali

4. AnikA68

AnikA68 Well-Known Member

I don´t use private photos or if I use them only landscapes not portrait family photos. I stopped because I didnd´t have much family photos, but now I wouldn´t use them. I never put layouts or photos in facebook.
    We have very strict copyright laws in Germany, they are as strict that you don´t have fun sometimes and hope that nothing will happen against you. I always try to use non people photos, also they are free to use, but you don´t know if the person on the photo gave a model release.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

People don't need the internet to steal your identity which will affect your credit reports. Things happened before the internet was around but people didn't hear about it. The internet has just made things more public. Back when I was the age of most of you, everything any one wanted to know about a person was right on their personal checks... name, address, phone number, heck at one time SS#'s were on there if you wanted it. Everything needed to steal an identity and take all your money with the bank information!

Another thing that people have always been leery of is electronic banking. Before my father's lady friend ever did any banking online, her bank account was hacked electronically... turns out it was a multi-state theft ring. She paid all bills by personal check and the large national cable company processed those checks in another state. Someone was taking the bank info from the checks, passing it along to others who then set up electronic transfers to pull monies from bank accounts. Thankfully, she caught it very quickly and reported it to the bank. They fixed it and in their investigation called her and suggested she contact the police which she did. It was months later before she found out how extensive the hack was. All of the accounts hacked had information taken from personal checks.

It is a scary world out there.

6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

That's the truth!

Kat likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

8. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

9. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Kissy Kissy Bart

10. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

You beat me by half a second, ha ha!