International Food Differences

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 15, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Well, ditto on the toilet lid. But it's always been one of those things I've wondered.

Don't save me the plane ride! I want to visit just maybe not to look in fridges and toilets. :giggle

bellbird and cfile like this.
  2. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Definitely MORE confused than ever. Someone above said that it was pronounced 'scone' like 'shone' not 'shown'.

Here, in America, we pronounce BOTH of those words like "own" at the end. Scone, shone, and shown all rhyme here.

I understand the difference in the way zebra is pronounced. For instance, it's SUPPOSED to be said as 'zeh-brah' but American's pronounce it as "zee-bra"

I do not, however, understand why there would be a difference in shown and shone, so I'm just trying to understand because I love stuff like this! :D

@bestcee I'm going to have to look again!! I haven't been able to get out of the house lately due to health, so others go to the store for me. I'll be trying to escape and go on an escapade out and see if I can find it! I think my kids would really love it too!

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I am never one to just blindly follow, so please know that I've thought about this and I'm not just randomly defending my country's plastic consumption, but I must ask... can you recycle your cartons? We can recycle our plastic milk jugs, which makes me feel better about buying them. If I didn't eat SUGARY, NAUGHTY AMERICAN cereal for breakfast, then I'd be fine with no milk in the house unless for a special recipe. But my kids are another story. :) So we buy those plastic jugs and I assuage my guilt by recycling them.

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Sara I would never believe you to do or defend anything blindly but yep both the cartons and plasticy milk bottles are recyclable (we rinse them out before throwing in the yellow bin but yep they have the little 'arrows in a triangle' symbol on them - the milk one has a number 2 in it, i just went and checked, it's not something i know off the top of my head- not sure if plastics are given a number system there) DH has 'reused' a lot of milk containers in his work shop too (storage for various sized nuts and bolt thing) and they are a pretty good homemade shovel/trowel thing if you cut thru the hole on the non-handle side but most of them get recycled here

Juliestcyr and Tree City like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

if' the stars shone brightly' here, it would be 'shone' rhymes with 'on'; if you were 'shown the way to the beach', it'd be shown rhymes with 'own' - i didn't know the can of worms I'd be opening with this topic but i heart zeb-rahs too much not to respond ;)

amandac and Serena like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL I think i know you & your curiosity well enough to know you would sooo be looking in my fridge and toilet! I love seeing 'normal' stuff overseas that is slightly abnormal to me - like I remember going to Vanuatu when I was heaps younger (in French Polynesia) and George of the Jungle was out at the movies there, with Brendan Fraser and the poster looked the same but said George de la Jungle or something (wasn't into photograpy then and didnt have a phone but i dont think they had cameras then anyway) but it's stuck with me - if that makes me weird, well, whatever - hope that makes you feel less weird about the toilet/frigde thing :D

bestcee likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

it's very un-Aust'n of me but i'm not a fan of Tim Tams really either; Mint Slice or Monte Carol?! well that's another story... And battle on (although i'm just a jam person) - far out, this thread is making me hungry!

amandac likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

That's cool, Justine @bellbird. Some of the cartons like that can't be recycled here. (That's why I wanted to make my intention clear, since you can't hear my beautiful, inquisitive tone lol. I've been accused of being blunt in writing, so I try to be careful!) Anyway, we have the arrow triangle thing too! I wonder if that's an international thing? Like, does a "2" in the triangle mean the same thing in Australia (or in China or England, etc) as it means here? I would hope so, if only because so many items are imported from other countries.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Love the cheese pictures! I love cheese --- right now, I am out of cheddar, but I have Parmesan, Asiago, brie, queso (Mexican dip), smoked gouda and a Weslydale with cranberries. Yes, we usually have 4 or 5 kinds at all times.

Do you have cream cheese down under? @bellbird For putting on bagels and using to make frosting and cheesecakes.

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm not sure re: international but i think so from what i read on a clean up australia site - the juice bottle is a '1' but here it varies between local council areas as to what numbers can be recycled - i'll PM you the pdf i found that says what the numbers represent

Tree City likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

We have parmesan in the fridge and half a block of cream cheese would you believe at the moment too - if we had brie it wouldnt last long between all of us here (i get to indulge in (essentially stinky) blue cheese at xmas usually on someone else's cheese platter!)
    I think that apparently having the ingredients for cheesecake must be an unofficial criteria for what constitutes a First World country (or is just the dessert of choice for digiscrappers?! I usually have some version of Tiramisu when possible, only to be disappointed so i should probably stick to cheesecakes). If you must have graham crackers for a base though or access to pumpkin spice or unicorn lattes regularly, you might need to reconsider moving here (there's only 34 Star Bucks across the whole of Aust., all on the east coast - i checked- just visiting Sydney you might be ok because 5 of them are in the CBD touristy city areas) I'm pleased to say though that cream cheese is available pretty much everywhere! There's even a chain of stores called The Cheesecake Shop (that sell like a crazy number of variations of cheesecakes and other desserts) and there's like 19 pages worth of store addresses so waaay more than StarBucks so I guess you can see our priorities ;)

BevG likes this.
  12. Serena

Okay, that's fascinating! I had NO idea that it was pronounced like "on" in other places, thank you for clarifying the differences!! And I'm SUPER glad you mentioned it because I love learning about cool and new things like this!

And YAY! Zehbra club!! ::Hugs!!::

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i can't remember which actor it was but i saw someone British i think on a chat show clip once, and they were saying 'water' is one of the words that really changes everywhere (it's waugh-ta here but i've heard some cooking shows it sounds like wadda or wa-ta :shrug - accents make the world go round i guess

Serena likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ok now I am really confused.. I thought Justine @bellbird that you lived in Belgium. When did you move to Australia? Lol

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I think now I'm the confused one...

amandac likes this.
  16. bestcee

@bellbird good thing I don't drink coffee! And really, I don't eat cheesecake that often.

bellbird likes this.
  17. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@Tree City , it sort of depends on where you live. Toronto recycles plastic bags. Ottawa, does not. But, it's a major complaint from residents. I know it's on the agenda for when our contract for recycling comes up. We reuse ours. The outerbags we use for cat litter. The innerbags, you can cut the tops off, and rinse them out. I use them for things like grapes or cherry tomatoes in lunches. That said, you only need so many bags when you are reusing them.

There has been a lot of debate about introducing milk jugs in Canada. But apparently, the amount of waste created by unrecycled plastic milk bags is far less than that created by milk jugs that never make it to the blue bin. Apparently bags use much less material than the jugs.

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  18. Serena

@bellbird So in this HOUSE (we're in Minnesota that pronounces "bag" like "baeg." ((think like it rhymes with vague.)) bay-guh.) and we say "wah-tur" and in Philly it's "wudder". They have freezies, icies, whatever you want to call the chipped ice with flavoring "Water (wudder) ice."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  19. bestcee

I think I call them: Snowcones.

Serena likes this.
  20. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

I am loving this thread!! I'm reading everything!
    :clappy

Serena likes this.