International back to school help needed

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Lena Gardner, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Lena Gardner

Lena Gardner Designer

We want to make sure we get word art options right! If you're in an english speaking country other than the US, can you let us know word art you would need included to scrap your pages? Specific to grade levels, not general word art. For instance, while we call it preschool, kindergarten, 1st grade here, I know elsewhere it might be called Grade 1 or nursery or other terms. We can google, of course, but customer input is good! :) Thanks!

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Growing up, in Canada, it was Middle School, not Junior high.
    Also, Grade____ instead of ___grade.
    And Junior Kindergarten was before Kindergarten or Senior Kindergarten.
    I don't know if it's regional, but we called it Secondary School, instead of High School when I was younger. Now I hear both when I visit.
    And my cousins went to University mostly, not college.

Me? I'd love if you added 'Online' and 'Homeschool'. :flirty

Lena Gardner likes this.
  3. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

What a good idea @Lena Gardner !!!
    Here in Brazil the school is back!A school term runs usually from February to June and from August to December.

• Pre-school education (educação infantil) = PRÉ ESCOLA
    • Basic education (ensino básico) mandatory for those between the ages of 6 and 17. It consists of Elementary school (ensino fundamental) and High school (ensino médio) = ENSINO FUNDAMENTAL and ENSINO MÉDIO
    • Higher education (ensino superior) (including graduate degrees) is found in public institutions and private institutions. - UNIVERSITY - college = UNIVERSIDADE
    I'll be back with some more words!

jesskab and Lena Gardner like this.
  4. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Thanks for asking. In the UK we call it pre-school or nursery. Then 4 year olds in 'proper' school do a year in Reception. After that it's Year 1, Year 2 (in Infants) Year 3, Year 4, Year 5 & Year 6 (in Juniors) Although some schools are combined and take children from 4 to 11 years and that's called Primary School! Seems really confusing now I've written it down lol. I'll leave High School to someone else. Hope that helps anyway?

MrsPeel and Lena Gardner like this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Great idea!
    Remember us homeschoolers and unschoolers. :yesss

“What about socialization?” would be a funny ironic word art since it’s one of the biggest myths about homeschooling.

Also some word art like...
    Grades are for eggs.
    A quote or two from John Holt: “Birds fly; fish swim; humans think and learn. “
    Or ...
    565F637F-9394-48EC-B37C-BD96742F3E68.jpeg

And not just for homeschoolers, a favorite of mine:
    40486B5E-448E-4493-925E-B7AF31EDB9AC.jpeg

I’m trying to do this on my phone and it’s hard so I’ll leave it here for now and maybe I’ll have more to add when I get back home to my computer.

MrsEm and KarenB like this.
  6. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am US but based upon suggestions for wordart here I would suggest you do an "add on" for the different wordart based upon suggestions. A homeschool wordart add on. A UK addon. A Brazil addon and etc.

I am always a sucker for school kits.

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Even as a US resident, I'd like to see this as my three children spent most of their pre-college 'Uni' years in British schools.

bestcee likes this.
  8. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Ooooh this is great.

I’m not in a native English speaking country, but I know there are quite a few Dutch speaking people on this site. So I’m just gonna request. Lol

We would love the following words:
    - basisschool (approximately age 4-12)
    - middelbare school (12+)
    - mbo (4 year college, where I work)
    - hbo (bachelor degree college/university)
    - universiteit (masters degree university)
    - groep (grade)
    - klas (class)

Lena Gardner likes this.
  9. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

In New Zealand:

We have pre-school or kindergarten (but we’re more likely to refer to it as kindy) - we use these pretty much interchangeably to refer to the same age group.

We have primary, intermediate and secondary or high schools. A few high schools refer to themselves as college. (Note we don’t usually go to college after finishing school, we go to university). We talk about tertiary education to refer to that happening after high school e.g. university or technical institutes.

Currently we talk about Year 1 through to Year 13. (We don’t use the word Grade to describe school years)

In the ‘good old days’ (for those scrapping the past) we had: New entrants (this might still be used), Primer 1 & 2, Standards 1-4, Forms 1-7

The school year is divided into four terms and runs from Jan/Feb until Dec. So now in NZ we’re early in Term 3, our major school/summer holiday coincides with Christmas.

Lena Gardner likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh! That's a good difference too! In the US, it might be terms, my Canada Secondary school called them "Semesters" just like college.

Lena Gardner likes this.
  11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

We have quarters and we are here in US. We have both Middle School and Jr. High, they depend on the grades that the actual building teaches. (Smaller buildings are Jr. High with less grades and less students)

Lena Gardner and bestcee like this.
  12. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

High School for us (I mean England as Paula already did Brazil) is Secondary School
    called (like in Primary School ( Year 7 - year 8- Year 9- 10 & 11- when they finish their GCSE's (the exams to qualify to further education) there is either what is called A Levels for some, Year 12 and 13
    or some go into specific Colleges which is not like what you call college in USA I reckon you call College what we call University?

edit to add: not sure Karen mentioned we also have Nursery, before Reception class, which is for kids younger than 4 (Sarita is 22 so I don't exactly remember but I know we had her in Nursery when she was 2)

Lena Gardner and KarenB like this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Aust is similar to NZ _ 4 terms a year, pre-school, kindy (although some states call it 'prep', ) then Year 1 thru to Year 12 - primary school & high school - 'uniform' is a word we use a lot with school too -I've never really understood what's meant by 'grade school' when I hear it on (US) telly shows; thanks for thinking outside the US box!

bestcee and Lena Gardner like this.
  14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We have school two systems in England and Wales, they are a bit different in Scotland. The most common is Primary School and Secondary School. In some areas Primary school is two smaller schools - Infants and Juniors. But in most areas the smaller schools have generally been replaced by larger all in one Primary schools. The other system, only used in some areas, is First School, Middle School and High School.

The education system is split into 5 stages:

Foundation (ages 2 -5) includes nursery, preschool and first year of school - called the foundation or reception year. In our local schools the part-time nursery and preschool are known as Foundation 1 (F1) and the first year of full time schooling is Foundation 2 (F2). Some areas of the Country still call them Nursery and Reception (the older names).

Primary School
    Key Stage 1 - KS1 - (the year groups are called years 1 - 3)
    Key Stage 2 - KS2 - (year groups 4 - 6). Year 6 do SATs tests at the end of the year.

Secondary School
    Key Stage 3 (years 7 - 9)
    Key Stage 4 (years 9 - 11) This is when they study for their GCSE or BTech exams taken in Year 11 at aged 15/16.

6th Form College (old name left over from the old way of naming year groups) and Technical Collages for further education for vocational qualifications and A-levels. - This is officially known as Key Stage 5, but most people don't use that term yet.

University is where we go for degree level education.

Our School year starts in September, and runs through to the end of July. It's split into 3 terms: Autumn Term, Spring Term and Summer Term. Separated by the Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays. Each term is split in two with a 1 week Half Term holiday.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    bestcee and Lena Gardner like this.
  15. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Justine has got in before me to share about us Aussies.
    "Kindy" would be a good word art to have as my granddaughter Jasmine is in Kindy this year. next year our Imogen is off to High School but where she is attending is called a "College" - it is a Catholic College.

Lena Gardner likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Semesters are also used at university, there’s also summer school which is condensed university classes, mid semester break and inter semester break are the vacation breaks for university. One other thing is not everyone associates going to uni as covering all the options. My friend goes to a technical institution and refers to it as tech.

17. Jazz2000

Jazz2000 Active Member

In the US, "College" refers to those that only go 4 years/bachelors' degree. Universities have bachelor's, master's & Phd degrees as well. Although, I think some people use the terms interchangeably.

bestcee likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Technically, a College can offer an undergraduate 4 year degrees ( B.A. or B.S. usually) or 2 year degrees (A.A. degrees). A US University offers undergraduate AND graduate level degrees. I got my B.A. degree from a College which later became a University when it added Graduate degrees. University 'can' sound more impressive! or so it seems.

All of our Community Colleges only offer 2 year A.A.degrees or short certificate programs and so when someone says "I got my degree." it may be a 4 year or only the 2 year A.A. degree. In interviews and in reading resumes, a bit of clarification is needed.

Jazz2000 likes this.
  19. Jazz2000

Jazz2000 Active Member

What Maureen said!

20. Litabells

Litabells Sings off key but still sings.

Australia here -

Kindergarten
    Prep
    Grade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 are all part of primary school.

High school is Year 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12

School year starts end of January, finishes mid to late December, and is broken up into four terms (2 terms to a semester) with two week breaks between terms and a longer break at the end of the year