Including DYD in PL album

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by RebeccaH, Nov 12, 2015.

1. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Okay, So I know in another thread we started a conversation about doing Document Your December as a part of the regularly scheduled PL album. I think this could be a good solution for a lot of us, since the consensus seems to be that it's redundant and too much work to do both PL and DYD.

My thought was that I would do a Holiday Season section at the end of my album that would start with Thanksgiving and carry through to New Year's Eve. I like the idea of it all being in the same spot, and not having to order a separate album.

Here's where I'm struggling....
    I LOVE the look and the layouts of the 6x8 default size for DYD. It just doesn't work for me, because I'm not going to do a separate 6x8 album. And I'm struggling to find ways to make the 12x12 size have a similar feel and aesthetic. Anybody have any great examples or inspiration they can share? I would love to see what inspires you for DYD!

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I still struggling with this too. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it yet either. Is your holiday section just going to be holiday stuff? Or is it going to be regular week stuff too?

Anyway... on to your question. I saw this idea on a blog about AWITL...

http://www.marmalademementos.com/2015/06/printing-digital-project-life/

I like how that whole section is cut down to make it a separate book within a book. BUT... I would be scared to death that I wouldn't get my edges lined up right and I'm not sure how it would work at the end of a book vs. the middle.

I'm with you... I love the 6x8 size. I think that's the real appeal to me with DYD. I'm going to have to brainstorm a bit.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

We just don't do that many different activities during the holiday season to warrant a daily DYD. Mine will just go on our regular PL pages.

4. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I'm not a super festive person and don't do a DYD.

As I recall from years past, most of the DYD offerings here are in 6x8 format, so I rarely buy any them. What holiday stuff we do participate in just gets scrapped as a regular 12x12 page and it is too hard to upsize 6x8 papers to 12x12 without losing resolution.

It would be nice if there were more 12x12 offerings for DYD since it's super easy to crop to smaller size, and then scrappers of all sizes can buy and participate in the DYD offerings, including PLers and 8.5x11 scrappers.

5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I am just now remembering this, but in high school, I could purchase an extra "booklet" of papers to have signing space. It would come with an adhesive flap on the front and back, so that I could easily insert it into either cover of my yearbook. I'm thinking if you do something similar to that, you could make adhesive flaps in panels that would work with your 6x8 album, and hybrid-style, make them look the same as your digital pages. So... your left page of your PL album spread would maybe be blank, or a section divider of sorts... and the right side would be the same. Then, using the same paper you used on the digital spread, print out a copy or two for your hybrid parts. Do a 6x8 DYD "album", and collate those into a mini, of sorts, and insert into your PL album.

Not sure if that makes sense.

6. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Rebecca, isn't it you who does the genius 6x8 cuts inside the printed books? I know someone here does it. I think I might try that because Jaimee has a fabulous template set coming out this Friday :whistle

I usually just incorporate it (hahahaha... like I've ever finished a year), but I think I like the idea you ladies are talking about... kind of making it separate, but not. I don't think I ever have enough to do regular and separate DYD.

It usually bothers me to think about planning to incorporate it into the regular pages though because it is such a different look. But I'm frustrated with my pages/potential book anyway because my "look" is all over the place this year. :/

Basically I am no help at all... what's new. :giggle

7. RebeccaH

Yes, that's me. Go ahead, call me a genius again... I can take it
    :rofl

Actually, Kimberlee, I've been thinking about those 6x12 inserts and how I could potentially incorporate that concept into my PL album for the holiday pages...I'm thinking maybe do 9x12 - Since it's the same aspect ratio, it should yield a similar aesthetic, just on a larger scale, right? At least that's my thought. Idunno...still working it out in my head.

Tracie, Ihaven't really decided for sure about whether I'm keeping Christmas / Thanksgiving stuff separate from the weeks... I'm thinking I might do pared-down weeks, and then put a holiday chunk at the back? I don't know - I can't decide. :shrug

8. RebeccaH

Now I'm just brainstorming....

What if, instead of doing a whole cluster of holiday pages, the holiday pages were just inserts for the weeks the photos were taken... cut the inserts down to 9x12 so they are clearly something other than the regular week stuff... then they could be highlights of how we celebrated or prepared that week... That way there wouldn't be an interrupted flow from the week to week of PL, and it wouldn't be like a weird little separate album cut down and shoved at the end of PL or something... it would be more organically inserted at the point that it took place, but since it's a different size and style, it would clearly be something in addition to the regular PL stuff... Just a thought???

9. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I was having the same thought Rebecca -- only problem I see is there are 7 days so you'd have an extra side. But since you're a genius I thought I'd mention it Not a putdown,by the way I love your 9x12 Idea

Only other idea is putting the 6x8 page on a background and maybe move the placement around so that you don't have to worry about it being perfect.

10. RebeccaH

I see what you're saying about the 7 days... but I most likely won't end up doing something for every day of the month... that has always been part of my issue w/ doing a typical DYD or Dec Daily project - we don't do something EVERY day. So I think between filler products and such, I could figure out a way somehow to make it even out the way I needed it to. Maybe. :)

11. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I agree with that. I would have to stretch some days.
    I did think that if you put a 3x4 card on the borders just to help you line up the page you would get even pages if you want to make the cut pages. (You can always take the card off when it's ready to print.)

12. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I think I am going to do 8x11 pages and just create with each day following into the next even on the same page. Like a running story line that way days that are less photo/memory filled will just blend in. Maybe do a title type page and final back/journal page, but keep those all together within my album which is mostly 12x12. My question is am I going to mix and match paper/digi? Eeeks, I don't know yet.

13. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I was thinking of the 6x8 size hybrid album this year since they are sooo cute....but all the rest of my albums are 12x12 digi....so I'll probably somehow convert some of the 6x8 grids to fit on a 12x12 final size.

14. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

The only way I've thought of so far is 2 next to each other, and then you have a third of the top or bottom, which could end up being "the balance" of the page (rule of thirds)

15. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Okay.... I'm no help. I'm at the point right now that I'm either doing DYD as a hybrid 6x8 album or I'm not doing it at all. I think I've figured out that the main pull of DYD for me is playing with Sn@p albums :-/

16. RebeccaH

BWAAAAHH!!! I can TOTALLY relate to that!! I love the idea of snap albums. I just suck at actually using them. LOL.

17. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Yes. You are a genius. :) My dimensions were off because I think in 8x8 albums, but you have super cool pages and the 9x12 is awesome. I like the idea of organically inserting... if I could actually get it done. LOL.

I started some pages today using Jaimee's templates (which will fit my 8x8... by being 6x8). We'll see what happens.

18. RebeccaH

So, I'm thinking along the lines of this for format...Just 9x12 instead of 6x8... do you think it will be too big?

[​IMG]

19. RebeccaH

I think how far I get will determine whether I group it together like a fun little booklet insert or whether I scatter it throughout the weeks. I do like the way the book inside the book looks on the link Tracie gave. However, if I can't get it all the way done, then it would only be a half-book inside a book, which is dumb :giggle So.....get 'er done... that's the goal!

And just gotta say, I LOOOOOVE jaimee's templates, and think I might have to snag a few for my pages, just upsize them. :)

20. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I have three December separate books so this year I will just continue that, I like having a separate Christmassy book. I still include some of the photos in my PL but mix it up with the everyday.