In the Blog: First & Second Flash Curtains: Bwha? And what the heck is Slow-Synchro?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by javamonster, Sep 13, 2013.

1. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

awww... the link is not working... off to search the blog!

3. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

:giggle It's the kitty fixers!

I'll fix the link

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh... I totally love that you did an in depth photography post! I'm off to read because I have NO idea what either of those terms mean! :)

5. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I applaud you for taking on a complex subject. =) I sometimes have a hard time remembering that not all scrappers are photographers and trying to explain things on an everyday level. You might want to double check some of your info - or rather, rephrase it some to make your point. I think to really illustrate the point, you need an action shot.

6. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I read through that this morning and added a comment; but it is still showing as "awaiting moderation" so I thought I would post it here as well. :)

While using the flash is typically known to “stop motion,” even with flash, if the shutter speed is slow enough you can still get motion blur. The difference for front and rear curtains is whether that blur is in front of your subject (assuming that the subject is traveling from one side of the frame to another) or if that blur is traveling behind the the subject.
    Typically if you want to exploit or give the illusion of movement you would want to set the flash to rear curtain so that the trails are behind your subject.
    Dragging the shutter and slow synchro would be used to balance ambient light (the light already in the room) with properly exposing your subject with the flash.

7. mollyc

Here is a really great article from a photography pro that really breaks it down; you might want to include this link in the original post if you can edit it. :)

Neil van Niekirk

8. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

THanks Molly--I thought I had linked to him? I'll add him if I hadn't. Yes, his explanations are great.

9. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Hi Farrah! I thought I had it mostly sorted out in my head (mostly!). But I had a hard time getting a decent example shot with movement in it, which is why I linked to that photo gallery.

It really is a huge subject. I think trying to tackle it in a short article was maybe too ambitious. I'll reread it and double-check where my terminology went awry.

10. mollyc

Julie, you had linked to him, but on dragging the shutter, not for the difference between first and second curtain.

For a still subject (like your sample image) there is no difference between first and second curtain. First and second only have to do with a subject in motion.

Your images differ solely to having a longer shutter speed, allowing more light to hit the sensor from the window. It does not have to do with having your camera set to second curtain.

11. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

12. Karen

You gals are all so far beyond me in photography! LOL! Do you have some action sample shots to show what you mean? I'd love to see 'em!

13. Karen

:giggle

14. mollyc

Karen, I don't but I will try to take some in the next day or two. :)

15. mollyc

i do have images of dragging the shutter to let in ambient light and balance foreground and background, but no action shots currently.

16. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I have read a lot and this is all like a foreign language to me. :)

17. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

This... :giggle

18. mollyc

Do you guys want to know more?

19. mollyc

i am a bit of a photo geek, but I get that not everyone is as into photography as I am. :)

20. beccasue71

beccasue71 Active Member

Molly, I would love to know more! :)