In need of great books for VACAY!

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by KellyM, Jun 6, 2019.

1. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Hi friends,

I would love a couple recomendations for books you don't want to put down! I am heading to Cabo San Lucas with the kids in one week - yeah me! - and would love a couple great reads

I just finished "What the Wind Knows" and loved it. It was one of those books that you hate to be done with!

Thanks in advance. :)

Kelly

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My immediate thought is anything by Sophie Kinsella because they are usually amusing and always an easy, but good read. My favorite funny one is the Undomesticated Goddess. Cracked me up. And I've Got Your Number is fun too.

I also am currently loving anything by Diane Chamberlain. My most recent one by her is the Dream Daughter which I gave 5 stars.

KellyM likes this.
  3. Karen

Also Making Faces by the same author as What the Wind Knows was another 5 star for me. :agree

KellyM likes this.
  4. KellyM

YEAH!!! thank you @Karen :agree making a list right now!

Karen likes this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

is this amy harmon? i remember liking making faces (about the returned soldier?), i read A Different Blue https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29698573-a-different-blue earlier this year by her as well, would recommend - similar vein but maybe not for a vacay, but it depends on whether you want to bring tissues poolside while you're on holiday

KellyM and Karen like this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

If you've never read "She's Come Undone", by Wally Lamb, I'd suggest that. For Kindle Unlimited members, it's free right now! I read it years ago and it has stayed in my head ever since. One of the best books I ever read. I always said they'd make a movie out of it and I'm wondering why it's back in the spotlight again. Hmmmmmmm

7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I love reading anything by Elin Hilderbrand while on a vacation- since they are always set at a beach somewhere! Easy, fun reads! Winter in Paradise was the last one I read & liked!

KellyM, Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I just finished Courting LIncoln-a novel of Anne Todd and her adventures with Lincoln! Love that period of history, and as a fun novel was AWESOME!
    in the middle of Spool o fBlue Thread. it is a bit long as an audio book, but a great story!

9. Cherylndesigns

Same here. I haven't read Winter in Paradise yet, but don't think I've missed any of her other books.

Karen likes this.
  10. Karen

Yep... Amy Harmon. I have What the Wind Knows high on my list right now and I'm adding A Different Blue too. :) And yeah, maybe not for poolside, just in case. :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  11. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

For a vacation book, a really well-written enemies-to-lovers romance is The Hating Game by Sally Thorne. Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld is a very modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. It's a good read even if it does stray from the essential plot line of the original. If you like mysteries, Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz is good. It's long but it's essentially a book within a book. Very much in the style of Agatha Christie.

KellyM likes this.
  12. KellyM

Thank you @bellbird I am adding this to my list too. And yes, it is Amy Harmon. :)

bellbird likes this.
  13. KellyM

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  14. KellyM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Excited to lay in sun and read!!!:luvya

15. Cherylndesigns

I hope you like it as much as I did. Just a hint - it's a little slow starting, but stay with it - it's one of those books that has to build up.

16. Karen

Yes! I loved the Hating Game too! I think I just saw that author has another one out that I currently have on my hold requests... I'm so hoping it's as good!

bonnenuit likes this.
  17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I just read Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, by Lori Gottlieb. I admit I cried in a few spots but they were happy tears.
    And I'd say Educated, but I can't remember if you've already read it for book club lol.
    For something much more simple, the Maggody Murders series is easy and not gory/violent.

KellyM likes this.
  18. KellyM

@bellbird I picked of Making Faces by Any Harmon and loved it. Great summer read! I also read I was told to come alone. Both very different but excellent books!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk