Impulse buys | Pad Patter 10.11

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Oct 11, 2018.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Oyyyyy! I'm the same way. I can't go into Michaels or Joanns.. or a fabric store in Lancaster, PA without leaving with something. I have so much washi tape and pens for bullet journaling and I can't even keep up with one. I also do limited things with fabric but have a storage tub filled with it.

I'm so bad.

bellbird likes this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

DH hates when I go to the grocery store cuz I always buy stuff off the list. He does, too, but of course he's fine with his own impulse shopping lol! On Monday the kids were off school and DS had an appt for a flu shot. Afterward we went to the store to get milk and to check if oatmeal was on sale. (We were out of oatmeal but DS wanted some; so I basically bribed him to get the flu shot by saying "We can pick up oatmeal afterward.") I did get milk and I did get oatmeal...and I got 3 other bags' worth of stuff! :eyeroll

Sigh. But my thinking is, I hate grocery shopping, so if I want something, then I better get it while I'm there cuz I do NOT want to go back again.

bellbird likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I definitely feel the impulse a lot, but our debt is too high to give in, so I don't.

kimingvtx and bellbird like this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah -- one of the reasons I like to grocery shop is that I can impulse buy there and not spend the whole paycheck.

Typically, one of us (hubby and I) is always in "let's not spend" mode, so that keeps the big stuff from happening on impulse. However...

Our biggest downfall is when we are vacation - i.e. already in the mood to spend money. We own timeshares from vacations and artwork from cruises. And then if we happen to go to a outlet mall on vacation.... I don't regret those purchases, but thinking back I am not sure they were the best decisions.

bellbird likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sometimes I am and sometimes not. I went to Walgreen's yesterday to get vitamins, they're having BOGO right now. I got my vitamins plus a whole lot more. @IntenseMagic I would have definitely bought that mug! The impulse buy I didn't get - a Himalayan rock salt lamp. I had already spent more than I intended, so I put the brakes on with that one. Then I got home and wished I'd bought it. Haha

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I tend to NOT even go shopping because I have no self control, as well as am a tight wad. Not sure those things can co-exist! I hate spending money- but I want all the things! lol! At the grocery store, I tend to shop 'off list' when I see good deals, but otherwise if I do indulge- it's for the kids!

43480586_1882669705120049_497836939248926720_n.png

bellbird likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

bellbird and amien1 like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am totally this way, too. Sometimes I cringe and just buying the necessities LOL

LoveItScrapIt and bellbird like this.
  9. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I impulse buy way more than I should. I’m saying this as I look at the new cricut cutting machine in it’s box staring me in the face taunting me lol. I saw the cutest paper scrap pages in a gallery a while back and thought, oh i’m Gonna get back into paper scrapping only to buy all the supplies and realize it just doesn’t really fit with my life anymore. I am truly a Digi girl. I’ve always been an impulse buyer but I am getting a little better the older I get. I’ve started realizing that it’s all just stuff and I do not need more stuff lying around.

LoveItScrapIt and bellbird like this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Another one!!! Woo Hoo...welcome to the dark side. lol
    [​IMG]

11. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Depends on the shop. My worst one is crafting magazines.I get them for a free paper pack or, an embossing folder ect. The actual content of the mag is secondary, which is stupid. Craft shops are an other one that get my impulse buying started. Digital kits too.... As for grocery shopping,I do impulse buy, but we eat or use it all ,so I am not worried about that much. Tony on the other hand always looks at the trolley,and can't believe 2 people can eat that much.

bellbird likes this.
  12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

LOL just throw Lucifer in there with those other sweet names! :giggle I feel like you might be setting yourself up for trouble with that one! Lucy is my little nickname for my girl, not sure how I even came about giving it to her but she's had it since she will a wee tiny little thing. Enjoy your new Jeep - it's beautiful!

bellbird and jk703 like this.
  13. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I don't usually impulse buy at the grocery store. My usual impulse buying happens online on Wednesdays and Fridays.

bellbird likes this.
  14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I don't impulse buy big things, neither does my hubby. We use the motto that if I still want it a month later (and we can afford it) then maybe we'll consider it again.

Sometimes I'll impulse buys something at the grocery store, that's about it.

I have been known to impulse buy books. If a friend recommends a good picture book or read aloud book for my kids I'll hop on Amazon and put it in my cart. That's almost the only thing I really allow myself to impulse buy.

bellbird likes this.
  15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I used to impulse buy but not so much these days. And, after seeing things I got rid of in the house clean out of 2018, I saw a lot of those impulse buys that ended up in boxes in the basement. I used to impulse buy scrapping supplies both traditional and digi but have gotten away from that as well.

Although I will impulse buy kindle books... just bought one today. Cost me a whole $0.00! My other impulse buys are mainly things that are actually groceries that didn't make the list before I went to the store. Those salt & vinegar potato chips get me a lot!

I guess you could say the one thing that I took away from the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace course is defining a "want vs a need". I've been wanting a large TV for my living room and a recliner to sit in to watch it for over a year. I guess I just don't want it enough just yet! I also learned to set my priorities in that course and the living room is not high on that list right now. I do keep looking at both TV's and recliners but have not made the purchase. I will be very informed by the time I do :giggle

16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm a mix of both. I have one rule: no impulse purchases over $50. It works real well when looking at large ticket items, like cars, electronics, etc. I just tell the sales clerk I never purchase anything over $50 until I've had a chance to think on it overnight. And believe me, it's saved me many times!

Now when it comes to chocolate... impulse buys rule!