Impulse buys | Pad Patter 10.11

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Oct 11, 2018.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

[​IMG]
    So it's school holidays here, which means grocery shopping with kids. Nothing makes the way the stores are set up for impulse purchases more obvious than hearing the kids ask for a dozen random things and all sorts of junk food the whole way through the shop!
    I resisted a lot but caved on a few but I know I buy snacks on impulse... and nail polish and junk jewellery and I know I have bought digi stuff on impulse based on kit previews. I can't blame all that on the kids!
    [​IMG]

So are you an impulse buyer or do you see the traps and avoid them? Bought anything interesting or unusual on impulse?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Sokee, Angela Toucan and cfile like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh definitely re the impulse buys.. that is why hubby is adament... if it is not on the list.. LOL I get "fussed at" (just kidding... not really) if I buy a DVD at the $5 bin too.. LOL so I stick to what is on the list with only a few sidebars that are definitely a can't live without... believe me if you stick with that motto you do save a lot of money!! :) I can get what I want always, but this keeps me in check and thinking is it really a need? if that is a NO, then I do not get. I am the impulse buyer, he is not so we make a good pair :)

Sokee, jenn mccabe and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this is DH's motto too - then he forgets to write snacks on the list for himself and then come mid week he complains there's none of his preferred snacks in the cupboard - sometimes it's lucky i impulse buy snacks!

Sokee, LoveItScrapIt and cfile like this.
  4. cfile

Ha Ha.. yup.. The guys are funny that way :) Hugs!

LoveItScrapIt and bellbird like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm not much of an impulse buyer, too much of a tightwad LOL. But I do occasionally pick up something for a dollar or two if I like it or for a treat :) The last thing I bought on impulse was a Halloween coffee mug at WalMart that says "Witch better have my coffee" :giggle

6. cfile

oh what fun coffee mug Jan!!!

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

OMGEEEEEE I ask DH everytime I go to the store, do you want something sweet for evenings.....it's always NO, UNTILLLLLL we get home that night and he's like "what is there sweet for me?"
    [​IMG]

bellbird, Sokee and Karen like this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

rofl...too cute

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

I'm in the middle. There are times I impulse buy small things....then there are times I don't want to spend a dime to even get things I/we need.

It's about balance. ROFL

bellbird likes this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I impulse buy small things and usually for the kids.

As for a big one, you could say that DH and I impulsed my recent car purchase. I knew what I wanted, and where it was, but was waiting... just because. There wasn't a need to turn my car (an Acadia) in yet.. maybe in a year I would, since it was already paid off. Though I had started to notice the trans was slipping a little, and small things were starting to happen (windshield wash didn't work, leather seat small tears, small dents, and over 100K miles, etc.). But, it still worked and well.

So, we get take the Acadia to the car wash, and DH says... "Let's go test drive a Jeep." The dealer is across the street. Me: "Nah... we're okay." 10 minutes later, we were walking in the dealership and test drove a few. Three hours later... ended up walking out with a new car. Kids were gobsmacked when we got home, lol!

bellbird, Tree City and jenn mccabe like this.
  11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I don't go shopping often bc of this "problem" :giggle. I wish I had Christa's or Jan's will power!

At the grocery store I am good though. It's everyone else requests for junk that I have a problem with! It ends up in my house when I wouldn't buy it myself and then once it's in the pantry .... :drool

12. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

You've been wanting to go back to Jeep though, right? What color - what make? How exciting!

jk703 likes this.
  13. jk703

Yes, lol! I knew what I wanted and we had said we were going back to a Jeep... but it wasn't going to be anytime soon! Eeek... I blame Peter, lol! I love it though - it's awesome. I'm struggling to name it though (Gabriel, Lucy, Lucifer, etc). I got the Grand Cherokee Overland, all black.

download.jpg

jenn mccabe, bellbird, Sokee and 2 others like this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is gorgeous! I am going to be shopping for something similar in January. I am currently driving a minivan and I have no idea what I even want except NOT a minivan and probably a mid-size SUV something. The Cherokee is definitely on my list to test drive.

jk703 likes this.
  15. Karen

Oops... forgot the original question. :giggle I'm not much of an impulse buyer because like Jan, I'm too much of a tightwad. Lol. My hubby on the other hand? Yikes. That is precisely why I do ALL the grocery shopping.

bellbird, IntenseMagic and jk703 like this.
  16. jk703

I love the Cherokee. It's perfect for us. The only thing I miss is the 3rd row - but we knew we were wanting to downsize a bit. The Acadia was a great car, if you still need that third row. I recommend both!

Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

I kinda DON'T want a third row so I can use it as an excuse not to drive the whole team to all the away games. :giggle I'll be able to say "oops, sorry I just don't have room" Lol! Does that make me a bad person? Ha ha ha ha!

bellbird and jk703 like this.
  18. jk703

Nope... not at all! :giggle I would be the same... um, I guess I am. I usually only have two extra anyway. And my MIL still fits, right?

Karen and bellbird like this.
  19. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I don't impulse buy small things most of the time. Oh who am I kidding, I am my mother's daughter (she's an impulse buyer to the extreme).

I'm terrible when I see something for photography... I spent $190 on a lens. It was a lens I had been looking to get for a long time, and $190 was an amazing price for it (I had rented the Tamron version of the lens about 5 times prior). Did I use it in Disney? Yes, it was my primary lens. Did I need it? Nope. Total impulse buy. I saw it and I jumped at it. I suppose it was more like $140 if you factor in that I would have rented the lens for Disney anyways... and that was around $50.

Anyways, I ramble.

I need to tighten my wallet big time, especially with the upcoming move... and possibly saving up to go to a mirrorless camera system in a year or two.

bellbird and Angela Toucan like this.
  20. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

there are some shops (craft shops in particular) where I cannot take my debit card, I only take cash. I'll take enough to cover what I'm going there to get, plus a little extra. Taking cash instead of my card limits the spending spree, particularly when I've got the children with me.

bellbird and krscraps like this.