I'm secretly hoping my son gets sick

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by joelsgirl, May 15, 2013.

1. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

I'm secretly hoping my son gets sick

on Friday because it's "Character Day" at school, and he has not a costume.

OH. MY. GOSH. I just want to cry. It just now occurred to me to google "Prince Caspian costume", and I could have EASILY had one made if I hadn't waited till the last minute. My friends met with a tailor on Friday, and I just thought his costume would come together, so I didn't go.

The problem is that I don't even know where to look for the stuff he needs to make a decent costume, and I can't sew, so I can't actually do any of it myself.

I think I really need to try something, but I have no idea what. This is so cute:
    [​IMG]
    but I have tomorrow (Thursday) and then he has to wear it on Friday. I'm thinking he's gonna have a sword and that's about it. : (

Total mommy fail. I need hugs.

2. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

Maybe a gray hooded sweatshirt? Get is a little big and chop the sleeves off? You could draw the pattern with a marker?

This is the upside to having girls, lol. I could outfit 6 kids for a costume day at a moments notice! Ladybug, princess, unicorn...we've got it all, haha.

3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

ok, that is very doable, no sewing.

1. Long sleeve grey or black shirt.
    2. Light Grey T-shirt - cut the sleeves and the collar off and do the design with a Sharpie.
    3. the cuff links can be made with duck-tape. Just make 2 squares of duck tape and on the back of the square more duck-tape. If you can't find a maroon color then just paint it with Sharpies or paint. Make some holes and weave a piece of ribbon/suede/leather to tie in.
    4. Those are literally two black belts. Use what you have in hand or get him some cheap ones.
    5. For the hood part, either forget about it, or buy another shirt and cut the top part making it a cylinder.

4. Dalis

For the hood, if you decide to cut a grey t-shirt then put it on him and gather a bit at the top to get the right shape and literally just do a couple of handmade stitches to keep the gathering in place. That will give you the right shape.

5. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I think that would be easy to pull together quickly too and I am definitely not good with a needle!

My DS always hated dressing up with a passion and would usually 'forget' to tell me!

I did well one year with one of my DD's as I got double duty out of the same costume (which was a tutu style dance costume from when her older sister did ballet). For Maths day she just had the tu tu and a placard with the number 22, and for Book Day she went as Lettuce the Dancing Rabbit (tutu plus bunny tail and bunny ears bought from store!).

6. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

omgosh, Dalis, you rock. I happen to have duct tape, which I can't buy in stores here. I've been trying to figure out how I'd do that part. Cuz it's such a good detail.

I found a gray long sleeve HOODIE. Do you know how rare that is, people? We live in the tropics, and yet he has the perfect shirt already in his closet. His brother has some black pants, and I'm turning a black t-shirt inside out for the over shirt.

I'm sending Joel to the store in the a.m. to buy rainboots to spray paint black because I don't think we'll find any real boots here.

But now it's 11:15 pm and I can't sleep because I'm so stressed out about this.

When we lived in Malaysia and my kids went to Chinese school, I was all sad that we didn't do cool stuff like this. Now I know how lucky I was...

7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

bhaaa, see I would have called a mommy day, and we would sleep in and have ice cream for breakfast!

8. Dalis

yay, so glad we could help!

9. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

OOO, I forgot you lived in the tropics! Good thing I didn't go with my first suggestion, which was go to Goodwill, LOL! I'm glad you're feeling better about it!

10. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Sounds like progress Kellie.
    We of course want to see photos of the final costume. :)

11. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

12. Dalis

kellie, What happen?

13. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

It worked out fine, and he was just happy to have a sword and rain boots, lol.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't do the armbands because I decided they weren't worth the trouble, plus they would be another layer for an already over layered kid in the tropics.

14. adejong

adejong Glutton for punishment

that turned out great! Nothing like the last minute to pull things together :)

15. carrottop

carrottop Member

That turned out so awesome! You did great, mom...now I say you treat yourself to something nice for pulling that all together...:wooot:

16. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

You did great and he looks really pleased with it too!

17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

that smile says it all! woot to the woo hoo to you !

18. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

you totally nailed it! great job kellie!

19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow! You totally rocked this Kellie! WTG!! I can tell he's happy with the results too! Yay Mom!

20. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

Yeah!!!! So glad it worked out!