I'm a shadow snob.

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Karah, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Karah

Karah Karah

I'm a shadow snob.

There, I said it.

I am a terrible terrible shadow snob. Shadows have to be just so for me. If they're too dark, too big, coming from the wrong side as the "light source" on an element, I feel my ocd coming on :dizzy (ok, let's be honest here - I don't have an ounce of OCD in my blood. :giggle ). (ps... that doesn't mean I don't like layouts like this!! It's just one of my personal pet peeves. :love )

So how about you - I know I can't be the only snob out there, what is there that you are snobbish about when it comes to scrapping? Does it bug you when things are linear? Aren't linear? Do you love/hate white space layouts? Tell me so I don't feel all alone!!

:stirpot

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

yes. snob here. i don't ever notice on layouts that aren't mine. but for real... i can not stand to see a random light source on my own page. high five for scrap related ocd. haha.

3. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I'm very laid back in this regard (which is weird because I am likely a bit OCD in real life :giggle), but one thing that bothers me is to have non realistic layering - such as fonts on top of elements.

4. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

My only real phobia is "the baby in the bottle". There are plenty of beautiful, artsy, fantasy type layouts out there but the ones with the kid in the bottle or the jar creep me out just a tad.

5. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

this too... again, not on other's pages. only mine. i also have been using a post by steph on the daily digi, and linked by krista ... some time recently-ish about blending options to make the fonts mesh with the texture better.

i have got to stop before all my scrap-related ocd ticks get outed... :giggle

6. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I barely notice shadows other than "wow those look great" or "wow, that button is 3 feet from the page". :giggle

I agree about the fonts on top of elements, though. The paper scrapper in me can't handle it. Or a button hanging off the page. I always wonder what kind of scissors it would take to cut a button in half. lol

7. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Bwhahha. Word.

I am beyond OCD about shadows. Yes, and the unrealistic layering. *shivers* And quality digi supplies. Good stuff really does make a difference in the final page and especially how it looks printed.

8. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

Paint.
    Paint does not have shadows!!!! And it doesn't just flatly lay on layers of stuff.
    Other peoples paint bugs the mess out of me.

There, I've had that on my chest for a while now.
    :lol

Not kidding. I complain to a good friend all the time about this.

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

shadows added to fonts. Can't say I never did that when I first started, but even then I knew it looked just wrong! :giggle

10. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I bought a big container of buttons at the craft store and lots of them are broken in half or in other weird spots.

I see a lot of pages that aren't my style, but that doesn't bother me. I think it's all about learning and crafting. Some people can't afford new kits or fancy editing filter. For some people, it's pretty nerve wracking to even post a page in a gallery. What bothers me most are pages that are so obviously promoting something and aren't even an attempt to tell a story or create art. I'm on a lot of CTs, but I try make every page count.

11. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Posed photographs.all.the.time.* The same clusters all.the.time. The same layout.all.the.time. Maybe this goes back to Robin's peeve.

*by this, I mean usually studio type shots; also, pics that never show people *doing*.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  12. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

fonts with shadows. stamps with shadows. paint with shadows. Babies in bottles, bags, with half their heads lopped off behind gigantic bumble bees or any other bug that should never be so big you have to crop your baby's head off, babies in scary forest scenes that are lit differently than said baby, babies on plates being served to zoo animals - usually pandas.

My own pages? Oh hell. I take meds that are supposed to squash my OCD in addition to my other-ed-ness but apparently they don't work when applied to my layouts. I try not to use white or light backgrounds even when I love them. Why? I can't make the shadows look right no matter what I do.

I have a hard time putting any layout up because it's kind of terrifying (especially here!) so I give myself a mental slap for noticing things that are obviously new scrapper mistakes. But babies shouldn't go on plates. Ever.

13. Tracyfish

Tracyfish President of the not-so-clean plate club

Mine is elements or photos that are resized wrong and end up all wonky.

I'm a very linear scrapper so I actually really like looking at others who aren't.

14. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

I don't really notice shadowing much unless it's really bad (or non-existant) or incredible (there's one digi scrapper in particular who has amazing shadowing).

I get peeved when people cover up parts of their journaling - mostly because I'm nosy and like to read what people write :giggle And when shadows are added to things that shouldn't be shadowed - paint, brushes, text.

Oh, and Angie - I totally hang buttons and other stuff off my page all the time. I have awesome scissors and the strength of the Hulk so it's no big deal for me to snap a button in half :hehe

15. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Oh wait, another - I actually get peeved when people don't journal. I know it's a personal choice. But it makes me twitchy to think that a family member will look back at this page a few years from now and have no idea about who is in the picture and what was going on and what the scrapper's personal thoughts were.

16. Dana

Dana Dana

haha - am i the only one running to their gallery to see how many of these pet peeves are included in their pages? i'm probably killing y'all!! but - at least i know i haven't done in any babies in a jar or plate - i'm not that good at extractions LOL!

but for me - the floating fonts (with shadows) or fonts over elements is my biggest pet peeve ...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  17. Laura

Laura Member

i was JUST about to say that....i'm afraid i do all of these LOL

18. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

My MIL has shadowed fonts on her book cover. I tried to tell her 100 times, but she said the publisher insisted. /face desk

19. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

OMG... that totally made me laugh. Yeah, I don't get the baby thing either.

I always love your pages, so it totally freaks me out that you are afraid to post them.

20. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

hahaha I love the way you said this. Babies sitting on mushrooms should be added to this list. Seriously, the babies aren't that small (or the mushrooms can't be that big).