If it was easy, it wouldn't be worth it..

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by Serena, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I wanted to say THANK YOU to the challengers...

I see a lot of ... unhappiness in some of the challenges about how hard the challenge is or how they don't like something.. but honestly, the whole point of challenges is to DO what makes you uncomfortable, to PUSH that boundary and try something different instead of being stuck in a certain way.

I remember I used to HATE templates.. I had NO idea what the create clipping mask was and used to put the photo over the block, use the selection tool and then invert it and delete. o_O Can you imagine?!

I had NO idea what a layer mask was... so I was constantly just using the eraser tool... CAN YOU IMAGINE?!?!

Thanks to challenges and people pushing me past my comfort levels, I learned (on the 100 inchies challenge of ALL places) how to be a template master, I learned how to use the masking tool (NON-DESTRUCTIVE! ::kisses her masking button!::) from yet ANOTHER challenge, and then I learned about photo masks from another.

How often do I use the photo masks? Not that often to be honest. Will I use the dispersion technique? Not a lot because I don't think I can do it well, plus most of my photos are close ups.

But I am forever grateful I got a chance to learn even if I didn't like it!! Because NOW if I want to try it again, or if a friend wants me to help them. I have experience.

It's just like when you have toddlers, you don't just HAND them things, you show them how to climb up to the top of the playset or you show them how to open the fridge to get their juice. If you just lifted them up each time or handed them the juice, they'd never learn how to do it on their own and then they wouldn't grow. These challenges are our parents and they're teaching us by showing us instead of putting us up on the top! If it was easy, it would be boring!

And THAT is the greatest gift of all these challenges. They give you EXPERIENCE which in this world and life are PRICELESS.

So thank you guys, for giving us that gift!

Now let's go tackle these challenges and show that NO MATTER WHAT, WE CAN DO IT because WE ARE AWESOME!!! I believe in each and every one of us!

:cheer:stash:grouphug

londoncuppa, Dalis, corsicar and 42 others like this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What awesome words! I love seeing the stretching and growing that goes on during January, and I think you captured it perfectly!

Yes. I can. Because I was doing that too! Until I watched Cheryl scrapping one day and realized that I was not doing it the easy way. I also didn't know the Ctrl selection tool and would zoom in close to erase everything outside what I wanted. :whistle :backing

I may not use the dispersion effect, but it reintroduced me to fill> content aware. I've already used that in 2 MOC layouts!

3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Yep exactly! I may not love the clean & simple style- but those end up being some of my favorite layouts! It's always good to test your boundaries & try new things! :)

4. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

6. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

@Serena - thank you for this post! We are so happy you're enjoying the challenges! I know I make a lot of jokes about never doing MOC again, or freaking out when someone says they want it twice a year (or even quarterly - ACK!) but it really is a great time of year here at TLP, and seeing how much fun everyone has makes all the work totally worth it!

7. cestrada123

cestrada123 Well-Known Member

oh my gosh all of your words are are soooo true! honestly my MOC layouts are my absolute favorite!

Karen, Serena and keepscrappin like this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

@Serena Your words are amazing! And exactly why there is an MOC! I love this definition of a challenge: "something that by its nature or character serves as a call to battle, contest, special effort, etc." And this quote "We don't grow when things are easy, we grow when we face challenges". We've all been there, we've all been newbies, and we've all been stuck...it's in challenging ourselves that we grow. I've learned lots of things over the years that I may never use again, but like you said, I know how and have experience that could potentially help me or someone else down the road. You are such a light!!

Karen, cfile, londoncuppa and 2 others like this.
  9. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Hear! Hear!
    I'm loving it all, even the scary scary filled template, lol. I cannot stop checking all the challenge threads I've managed to complete. This is a good thing. It's fun, and inspirational and educational and fun.

I think the thing I'm enjoying most this day is the wealth of experience & skill on all levels. I finally asked my dreaded template question and wow, the answers rocked. Sharing - this community is really awesome at sharing!!

londoncuppa, Karen, cfile and 3 others like this.
  10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Even when it's easy it's worth it because every page we make is a creating tangible a memory (assuming the page gets printed), so it's less likely to be forgotten! :love

Karen, cfile, londoncuppa and 3 others like this.
  11. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

@Serena Perfectly expressed! I love the growth and inspiration of every challenge. Everyone who completes a challenge goes at it in a unique way and I find that to be so inspiring! "Thank you" indeed!

If you are struggling with something, ASK. We all love to talk about this wonderful hobby.

12. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Well said @Serena! I'm so glad you are getting so much out of the MOC! And we are all here to help whenever someone needs it!

Karen, Serena and keepscrappin like this.
  13. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

Thank you @Serena for these perfect words. I am new to digi scrapping only started last year. I used to be a traditional scrapper and loved it but it became too much and i just didnt enjoy doing it any more. The kind people in this community have made me want to do scrapping again. These challenges have been just the thing for me, they make me so happy, im enjoying scrapping, im enjoying the process, im loving seeing everyone's LOs. But the challenges, as frustrating as some are, and trust me when i did the dispersion one for the fifth time but that has been one of my favorite challenges, i learned SO MUCH. i just had to take my time, step by step, and the resons i had to redo things was because i realized i could do it better a few steps on.

All the wonderful challengers have put so much time and effort and always there to help so a HUGE thank you from me also!!!!

londoncuppa, Karen, Serena and 6 others like this.
  14. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Well said @Serena. I agree with your comments. I love MOC as it really pushes me to try new techniques. I love time limits to my scrapping as it forces me to be more experimental with papers and elements as there is just not enough time to spend hours looking for a specific button etc. I also realise what I am missing in my stash so do a little extra shopping as well :whistle A girl needs more paints/stitches doesn't she?

Karen, cfile, Serena and 5 others like this.
  15. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Thank you for writing this @Serena! You said it PERFECTLY. I felt like I knew PSE so well before I started digiscrapping last year. However, from doing challenges here at TLP I have learned so much that I didn’t even know I didn’t know. Some things I don’t use often, but some I use frequently even outside of scrapping. I like to learn and be challenged because it helps me to be better and grow.

Also, I am totally down with twice a year MOC.

Karen, cfile, Serena and 3 others like this.
  16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@Serena
    Bless your heart! Thanks so much for sharing this with us. It's so nice to know our efforts are appreciated. Thank you! :thankyou

I love hearing how people are growing in their scrapping during MOC. It makes all the work that goes into MOC worth it. TLP is one of the most friendly scrappin sites I have ever been a part of. Everyone is willing to help each other get it done. That's my favorite part of TLP. I think of you all as my family and love seeing your pages and kids and grandkids growing up on them. All y'all are like family to me. BIG HUGS!

londoncuppa, Karen, cfile and 2 others like this.
  17. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

You are such a beautiful person @Serena ... thank you for your thoughtful post, kind words and as always ... huge heart! :beat
    I used to use that eraser tool way too much early on as well! LOL. I haven't been digi scrapping as long as some people around here (about 8 years or so) but I promise you ... I learn some new tricks and try new things each and every MOC. And like @wvsandy said ... seeing how each of us tackles the same challenges ... is so inspiring.

As long as you all are enjoying the process ... having fun here in the forum and in the gallery, growing and learning new skills, making a ton of pages ... it does make all the hard work worth it!

Thanks again Serena ... and all of you that have also posted with kind comments. We love our MOC! :bk

Karen, cfile, londoncuppa and 3 others like this.
  18. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

@Serena you get it! This is MOC in a nutshell... for those who try to do the challenges that make them uncomfortable they will grow by leaps and bounds and become better scrappers and more knowledgeable of their program. Thank you for your words and positivity!

Karen, cfile, londoncuppa and 2 others like this.
  19. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

20. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

@bestcee Isn't that the best?!?! I can't recall how many times I've had to go back to "fix" something only to have to redo that part... let me tell you, the words that flew out weren't the type you'd want to say as a mom... ::blush!:: I'm going to have to flex that content area thing, that was kinda cool!

@amien1 Isn't it fun how we do something and dread it and then afterwards go "woah, I really like that!" When they did the inchies challenge awhile ago I was mortified and hated it at first.. then I discovered how to zip through it and it's one of my favorites to this day!

@NancyP ::SUPER HUGS!!:: I love hugs!!!! They're the best. :D Thank you dear lady!

@londoncuppa Miss Margaret! :beat:heartlub:bk

@mrs2a50 It is SO appreciated all your help and that you don't do this: :backing when MoC comes around. hehe!! I know lots of people have had a blast with it and I was really looking forward to doing it this year since I didn't last year. :D I can imagine the face you make when the thought of it quarterly is mentioned! Oh my! this is a HUGE undertaking! Super hugs for you and everyone else working behind the scenes to insure it goes smoothly! (I'm looking at you too Miss @NancyBeck!! :beat

@cestrada123 And we still have more challenges! YAY!!! :fairydance I hope you make a TON of pages that make you happy!!

@IntenseMagic Miss Jan! ::hugs!:: What a cool definition, I never really looked it up! I know I groan sometimes when I see a challenge only because I'm sure I'll flop and then I'm usually pleasantly surprised when I manage a page that I'm truly excited about. :giggle I now groan and then go "Let's do this!!!" and cackle maniacally.. which for some reason makes my cat look at me funny, but then, what does he know? ^.^

@Mylinn Have I ever told you I think your name is super cool? ^.^ I looove going through my "layout" thread and going "wow, I ACTUALLY LIKE these!" So I'm with you there! I love this community and how they will answer a question without making you feel like an idiot! This group ROCKS.

@michelepixels I'm ACTUALLY going to print mine out this year! I'm going to be a good girl! I'm sooo excited about it, and my son (there's a scrap page I did on it even) is so very happy and excited that I make these pages for him so it means an extra lot! I can't wait to see his face when he sees the book and looks at them! It'll be like Christmas for Mommie!

@wvsandy I think that's one of the other cool things, like you said, is going through and seeing the different takes someone has on the challenge, it's truly inspiring and fun, we have really talented ladies in this group! I've been scrapping for over 14 years now and I am STILL learning!

@HeatherB I'm never -not- doing another MoC, I will be camping out weeks in advance waiting for the sign up sheet for next year's MoC! hehehe! Everyone on this site has always been so helpful and sweet, I love calling this my home!

@Jems Yay!! Welcome to digiscrapping! You picked a good place here too, the people here are sooo kind hearted and helpful and never make you feel bad for asking a question (even if it's been asked like eleven billionty times and they're like "Duh Serena, SEARCH!" hehe!! ((disclaimer, they've NEVER done that! That's the joke..)) ) I'm SO glad that you were able to get through it, it took me quite a few times restarting on that one too! But I like how it came out, and some of the others too! I used to paper scrap too but then I had little ones and the mess was just not worth it! heh. I look forward to seeing your gallery grow!! :happyhug

@Amson We can NEVER have enough paints and stitches! :lmao I crack up when I'm looking through the gallery and I'm like "OH MY GOSH I NEED THAT KIT!!!!" and then rush to the store only to find I already have it. D'oh! I am starting a notebook with all my favorites like "that awesome sterling silver button is in THIS kit". It's going to save me some sanity instead of going "oh my, where is it?!?!" and having to look through like 500 kits... o_O

@GlazeFamily3 I'm pretty sure I just heard @mrs2a50 scream in horror when you said that... :rollin But I'm with you!! I think it's great how I've learned so much about a program I've used for years but apparently never scratched the surface of! It's like paying for a car and only using the trunk for storage space and never driving anywhere...

@keepscrappin :luvya I love all the work you ladies (and lads!) do for us and wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle and madness! I know it's a lot of work behind the scenes to make things appear so effortless! Love you guys!! And I TOTALLY agree with the family statement!! I'm always excited about something and going "I gotta tell me Padders about it!!!! (and then I go, oh, I should tell my REAL sister too.. whoops.. and then I sign out of the Pad and go text her! :lol)

@jenn mccabe :glomp :blush Thank you, Miss Jen! I'm lucky to be a part of this great site full of warm, kind hearted and helpful people! This place and the people here have really helped me in both my scrapping and my daily struggles and keep me fighting for a new day. :dance Love you guys!

@norton94 What I love was that while trying one challenge, I accidentally discovered a new trick that wasn't even related!! :circles and then I get all excited again to try more things! :bk

HeatherB, norton94, Karen and 7 others like this.