I was disappointed

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by redplaid3, Mar 17, 2018.

1. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

to see the implied use of the "f" word in the recent
    Dear Karma No3: I swear I'm Good kit

I know it is commonly used, but I long for the days when it was still a very vile swear word. I just had to share. Does anybody else feel this way? Thanks for letting me share.

2. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, but then again, I can cuss like a truck driver most days, and it takes a lot to offend me. I think it has its time and its place, and I can see where it might be quite fitting for an emotional art journal page. Will it go in the family photo album? Probably not. But scrapping has evolved into a mental and emotional outlet for a lot of people, not just preserving family memories. So I get where some might appreciate having it as an option. I am absolutely sure the kit or any of the elements were not meant to offend or shock. It's just trying to fulfill a niche for certain scrappers.

For me, there are so many more offensive things than swearing, and while I do think it would be nice if certain words weren't used as a part of everyday language, I think in today's society, it's here to stay. I have (mostly) evolved into a "live and let live" attitude. There are a lot of things that bother me on various levels, but ultimately, what works for me doesn't work for others, and vice versa. So I basically choose to let most things roll off my back. Not to say you shouldn't be bothered by it if you don't like it. Just stating how I tend to view most things. :)

MrsGaramer, janedee, jk703 and 7 others like this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I can totally understand your point of view Linda and I agree that I wish it wasn't such a casual word these days. But I have to admit that I thought this kit was pretty humorous and think there are definitely going to be people who will love using these elements for documenting certain situations in life.

Danyale, Cherylndesigns and Tree City like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I couldn't have said it any better than Julie. I totally get where you're coming from and I do wish that some people would be a little more courteous about when/where they use certain words. I teach in a high school and I bet I hear that word dozens of times a day, just walking up and down the halls or in the cafeteria...loudly.
    But I will admit that I love this kit for my own personal pages! I could probably use it on a weekly basis! Would I share all those pages publicly? No way. But my family would see those pages and be like "yep, that's Jan".

janedee, jk703, A-M and 3 others like this.
  5. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

In a public setting and in the work place, I don't think curse words are appropriate. I too get annoyed when the language gets too rough. BUT, I tend to curse like a Sailor from time to time so let me not get hypocritical. I guess it stems from the "culture" you are around. What is acceptable and becomes the norm in one setting is not so in others.

Personally, I LOVE the Karma kit and will be making personal pages with the "special" downloads. I commend LBW and Etc by Danyale for being so gutsy to make.

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My hubby and I were talking about this last night while watching "Patriots' Day". You'd have to live in a bubble anymore to not hear that word. It's as common as "darn". Like a couple of you said, it's just part of our culture.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

What a great kit! I don't use that word or other similar ones, but only because they don't come naturally. Perhaps because my parents didn't make a big deal about them, they held no power to me. Then again, I have not made a big deal about them with my kids either and ⅔ of them use the words. It doesn't bother me. They're just words. Intentions and behavior are the important things, not the vocabulary we use to communicate with. Also, language is changing all the time. "Darn" used to be a bad swear word.

8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Well said!! I concur

9. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I'm with you, Linda. Although I do respect everyones opinions, I have chosen to take a stand where the words we use are concerned. So I was disappointed to see this also. I'm also of the opinion that if something is bad then it's bad. Changes in our world, in our society, in our way of life, and in our acceptance of things, does not make that bad thing good or okay. Does that mean that I don't like someone because they use language I don't like? No. I may not like something someone says but I can still like them. Will I buy a kit that has things in it that are offensive to me and the way I feel about something? No, I won't. But that is my choice and that doesn't mean I won't buy something by the same person if I find it to meet my standards. And like you, I miss the time when evil was still evil and good was still good.

And I hope I haven't offended any of you ladies. I appreciate your friendship. And I would never want to offend or hurt any of you.

AJK, Danyale, Cherylndesigns and 7 others like this.
  10. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Yes, it offends me, BUT yes, I am trying to put on my "big girl panties" and get over it!! You see, I am 78 years old and it is just old habit that this is a word you don't use. It was drummed into me that it was a horrible and offensive word and you got a bar of soap shoved in your mouth if you used it!! Even in highschool during the 50s, if you were heard using that word, you got dragged down to the principle's office. If a teenager used that word out in public, everyone would look at him/her (usually hims) in absolute horror!! So I am trying very hard to shake the old victorian ways I was steeped in and accept the fact that this is a different world I live in and to kids today its----just a word!!! I even researched the word once and guess what??? It's NOT a bad word!!!! Check it out in Wikipedia, its origin is quite interesting.

11. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I do understand somewhat, I don't like to hear it said out loud in the street, but I do admit that I curse A LOT and use this word myself. usually under my breath if in company, but I do scream it out loud in my mind many times LOL - and I have got this kit in my basket ready to check out. My life is very far from perfect and I can see this coming in handy for several about me pages to vent about things in my life I don't have the ability to shout out loud about IRL. I like the option to have a product that really accurately reflects how I think and feel about things (and people) sometimes.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely REFUSES to buy the brand French Connection because of how they label and market their brand in the UK (FCUK) which seems so crass.

ETA I am in my fifties and remember being grounded for a week for saying the word 'pig' in annoyance in front of my dad.

12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Here is my take - if you like the rest of the kit, buy it. If not, then don't.

I have been known to delete items from kits that bother me or that I know I will never use because of what they represent, i.e. they clash with my beliefs. If I felt like I would be deleting too much of the kit, then I just skip purchasing those kits. There are many kits that are not good fits for me for a wide variety of reasons. So I have to decide kit by kit if I will get them, realizing that others may really like them.

p.s. You didn't mention if you already purchased the kit, but Danyale in her newsletter had this to say about Karma 3:
    "We continue to have our tongue in cheek view of everyday life in these products which help us get more "me" pages created, but after MANY requests - we added in some "dirty" packs.

These packs are in separate downloads (and not factored in with the price point of the products), so those who are uncomfortable or offended, please simply just don't download. :)"

AJK, jk703, kayjaydo and 7 others like this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I like the Dear Karma series as a whole and some of the real paper scrapping products I've seen certain paper scrappers use in layouts in instagram posts have shocked me so much more that I didn't really blink too much at the previews of this one. As others have said, culturally this particular word is almost unavoidable now, it annoys me a lot more how music on the radio these days is filled with it and other such language and badly edited to cover it, so I'm with you on the wishing things were different but like Julie and Jan said, it doesn't have to go in your family scrapbook, because i'd be mortified to have my kids see it now (and my mum ever!) but maybe in like 30 years, they would realise 'well maybe mum was a real person that actually struggled day to day and maybe this was her venting' - and thanks to @BevG for posting that snippet from the newsletter - there is obviously a demand for this among all the pretty and sweet kits we are spoiled for choice with in the store!

Danyale, Cherylndesigns and Tree City like this.
  14. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Good for you Linda @redplaid3 in being brave enough to share your views. I'm glad that TLP is a safe place where we can share differing opinions in a civilized way and not feel like we will get attacked like what happens so often on social media. I too wish the world we lived in wasn't so vile. I don't like the 'f' word or the Lords name in vain, so I don't use those words and acronyms and politely remind others (mainly my brother) to please not use those words around me. The older I get the more conservative I get. I like my shows, music and other media to be mommy-rated. If I wouldn't feel comfortable having my young kids watch it with me, then I turn it off and do something else. That is just me and I respect other's rights to make their own choices. Even my hubby watches tv shows that I won't watch with him and that's ok. It's his choice and he respects my choice to not watch and he doesn't watch questionable stuff when the kids are around.

Some might say I'm kinda naive. I have used sayings, acronyms or emojis thinking they were innocent and later found out that they had a vulgar meaning in the outside world. It's usually one of my teens that tells me, "Mom, I don't think you wanna say that, it means something bad."

I did get the Karma 3 kit and I made a layout using the clean version of the items. However, I was just informed of what "shut the front door" means in slang, so I will be changing my layout. I was thinking the innocent meaning. I'm always telling my kids to literally shut the front door. They are always leaving it open...hehe! I love the kit design and choose to NOT download the dirty packs. I was happy that the designers had those separated out and told customers, so we could decide for ourselves. YAY - Danyale and Val! We all have different likes and beliefs and I'm glad we have that right. There were a few other items that I deleted because I knew I wouldn't be comfortable using them, but I'm happy with the remainder of the kit and love the layout I made. I will replace the one journal card on my layout with something else, just because now I know the intended meaning. But otherwise, that layout is my most favorite layout this week. I liked the snarky feel of the kit and thought it fit my photos perfectly and I will use the kit again for more layouts.

Genniejoy, AJK, redplaid3 and 5 others like this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

@NancyP That is interesting. When we've watched some shows on BBC - some in the early 1900's, we've heard it. I always think that they just "modernized" the shows by using that word. I'll have to check that out.

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm afraid to know. In slang for me in high school, it was always "Shut Up!?!? Are you serious?!?"

EHStudios, cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Can I just say? If I hear it in American accents I notice it right away, but in British accents? I don't even notice! To me, it sounds less crass in British accents than in American ones. Isn't that weird?

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

I think you're right - everything sounds better with a British accent (or French). LOL

bestcee likes this.
  20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Yep, that was basically what I thought it meant, but then I was told differently. When I googled what it meant in slang, sure enough, the 'f' word was in there... oy!