I wanted...

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by ajm, Apr 5, 2022.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

oh yes, an action would be easier! I'll help you test it in PSE if you want. :agree

2. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Of course you can also create an action to recreate the effect.
    This water colour effect though, is a very simple one. There are a lot of tutorials online that are much more complicated and have much more steps, with duplicated smart objects and adjustment layers. A big advantage of the smart-object method is, that once you have followed the tutorial, you can recreate the effect by saving it as a psd, instead of recreating it all over and record an action.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

YAY!!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. cfile

that is cool Courtney... an action would work perfectly. I am going to have to give that a go in PS... my making action skills needs a little help :) Practice practice practice!

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm going to try this out soon. Thx for sharing this tutorial. Looks very cool!

cfile likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

LOL!

cfile likes this.
  7. cfile

Courtney I did an action and it works but I cannot start it off right by running the action to choose a photo.. it has to start with the photo open already.. is that your action too? Otherwise do you have a suggestion as to how to get it to look for a photo to bring it in to PS.. I am good with what I did and will finish my page tomorrow.. had to rest my arm .. hugs and thanks for any insight.. I was thinking maybe with a stop or something but I just got it to work with a photo already open.. I Hope it will be there when I open ps tomorrow lol it was not letting me save the action and lately the new styles I make disappear when I close ps down and then reopen.. glitchy for sure lately!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I think you would need to write a photoshop script for the open photo portion and link the action to it to get the water color effect, but I may be wrong. https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/07/introduction-to-photoshop-scripting/

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    cfile likes this.
  9. bestcee

I didn't have mine open the photo. Mine starts with making the already opened photo a smart object, then runs the steps. You can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut8j51kdgc7eujw/Watercolor Action.atn?dl=0

To save it and 'export' it, I had to put it inside a folder, then save it. I made a quick screen cast showing how to save an action below. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I realized it had to be in a folder. You can't just save a stand alone action.

As to the styles thing, I don't know what that is! Have you tried resetting your perefences? That usually fixes any issues I'm having. But - thanks for the reminder to save my styles! I haven't done it in awhile, and it's easier to reload if I've saved them!

cfile likes this.
  10. cfile

Thanks Kayla.. I will skip writing a script.. my days of writing computer code are long over.. lol.. I did computer programming back in 1980.. lol., I will just open the photo lol thank you for looking though! Hugs!

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. cfile

Ah thanks re the saving of the action I did not realize the action needed to be in a folder either :) I will try that. I started the action to duplicate and get rid of the original photo and then go through all the steps with converting etc. I will try your action too.. Thanks Courtney.

I will try and reset the preferences... sometimes it is just a glitch with PS and the Styles/ actions where it will lose everything. Hugs!

bestcee likes this.
  12. cfile

@bestcee The folder was it, and my action was still there this morning so thank you so much for your help! I was having a blank yesterday as it has been a real long time since I created an action.. I think I took a course at Tiffany's re actions but don't remember a lot of things as it has been a while. Thanks again for the assistance!

PS... I tested your action and it works perfectly, Courtney.. thanks.. I think the PSE people will love it! I redid mine as well and was able to save it. Thanks again for the assistance with saving the action that "folder" was the key :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    bestcee likes this.
  13. bestcee

@cfile yay! I forgot at first too, then when I tried on a different one I realized it was the folder I was missing.

cfile likes this.
  14. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Here's me looking sceptic LOL

Namnlöst-1.jpg
    I have an old PSE (PSE11). I've never heard of "smart object", maybe it's a newer thing? Photo is improved, but I'm not sure I see the same effect, but almost. Will try and see if the action works now.

trekmom and bestcee like this.
  15. tanteva

Ok, tried the action. I got a couple of error messages on the way but it did give me this:

2.jpg
    Having an old program makes you have to tweek things a bit, but I think the image of Mårten ended up ok. Now I have to make a layout to really see how I like it.

Thanks for all inspiration - this is so nice!

bestcee and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

Great job @tanteva it is great to learn new things, isn't it? I love that Aly @ajm gave us the inspiration and was sharing with us :)

tanteva likes this.
  17. tanteva

Absolutely! Thank you @ajm ... think I forgot that before.

18. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

I'm going to print out your instructions and practice more but for now, this is a nightmare. A bad dream. A what the actual what. Kind of fun?
    4th grade teacher artsy fartsy.jpg

cfile likes this.
  19. cfile

It took me quite a few times :) I think for a first try this is really great!

trekmom likes this.
  20. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

@cfile Thank you. I like how the teacher's classroom board in the background looks.

cfile likes this.