I need paint help please.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Micheline Martin, May 18, 2012.

1. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

Ok so I finally convinced DH to start remodeling our house *I HATE my house* the layout is stupid and of course I bought it when I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter so I think we rushed it to be honest.

Anyways I've been looking at different colors for our house (we don't do white walls) the only thing we can agree on is that we need a light color in the living room.
    I want to do Grey BADLY but Rob keeps saying NO he doesn't want the house to feel cold and like a prison *I don't agree but whatever* sooooo I am pushing for blue-grey like this....
    http://pinterest.com/pin/37788084342883351/
    it's called Rhino by Behr.
    BUT since it's not only my house I want to look around to see if we might actually agree on a color so here's where I need help.
    Can you guys suggest a good living room/kitchen color that is a lighter tone and would go good with this color floors?
    http://pinterest.com/pin/98938523034082505/
    Thank you!!!

2. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Have you considered a pale butter yellow?

3. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

How about one or two walls YOUR color, and two or three walls HIS color?

4. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I disagree about grey making the room look cold and prison like. I put super dark grey in my boys room and I must say it looks awesome!! I'm no help for light colors really though - I go bold, lol. OUr living room is milk chocolate colored. Our bedroom is going to be black/red. The only sane walls in this house are my girls room which is beige with a darker beige sponged on.

5. Micheline Martin

the only reason why we chose light colors is because our house doesn't have much natural light and we wanted the house to look light kwim? We keep butting heads, I like trendy more modern colors he likes more country *yack!* colors.
    He's already given up and said just paint it whatever color you want BUT i want to see if I can find a color we both like kwim?

6. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Paint it when he's not home. That's what I do.

7. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

We did grey in both dining and living rooms. The living room is slightly darker, but it is warm... not prison-like. LOL. People have really liked it when they've visited.

We have similar flooring in the kitchen. We have a two-tone scheme with pale aqua and then turquoise trim with some little red pops (kitchenaid mixer, etc.) It is fun. :D

Here are our colors...

[​IMG]

8. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

I have a really light gray in my kitchen and boys' rooms, and I really love it! The trick is to warm it up with your furniture & accessories. Those floors would really warm the room up a lot! Have you shown DH pics of rooms with gray walls that still look warm? But if he still can't be swayed I was going to suggest a light blue, similar to the glacier bay in Kimberlee's post.

9. Kim Gehring

Kim Gehring It's all about the 3-Cs: coffee, caramel, claw

I know you're not painting a nursery, but I think this is a great example of using furniture and accessories to make grey walls look beautiful.

If you don't go with grey, I like the glacier bay color from Kimberlee post.

10. RachelYoung

RachelYoung RachelYoung

Me too. All improvement projects that don't require heavy lifitng happen at this time. In fact, I think I'm installing a new light fixture the next time the hubster goes on a business trip...

11. Micheline Martin

LOL! He is camping all next weekend, that is when I will be painting.....

12. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

It's really better for everyone involved if my husband is not around when there are tools involved.

13. RachelYoung

RachelYoung RachelYoung

Hmm... Some wives need to remember to close their browsers when they leave or their husbands might catch on to their sneaky plans and lock up all their tools.

14. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

Didn't Jacque paint her house gray? Maybe she could post some pics you could show him about how freakin' awesome it looks and he'll be convinced. She convinced me. {At least I think it was Jacque, lol}

15. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

Here's an option... we have Behr's "Creamy Mushroom" in our office and I LOVE it!!! It's kind of a light taupey gray

[​IMG]

16. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow of our office for you, if you're interested in seeing it

17. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Love the idea of splitting the decision making down the middle. That's what we did when we bought area rugs for our house. We each picked three and it worked out great because we both got what we wanted even if we had to compromise on the other ones. Also love gray with bright accents-- I might actually design a layout with those colors because that nursery photo is so cute! Creamy mushroom is also wonderful. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  18. Micheline Martin

I wouldn't mind splitting it down the middle but our color idea's are SO different I don't think they would go together.
    Thanks Heather :) I would love pics!!!
    I've bugged him soooo much about helping me pick out paint colors, he just *sighed* and said UGH never mind just pick any color you want I don't care.
    LOL! Soooo I think i got my way :)

19. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Ha! Way to wear him down! You'll have to post pics when you get it done!

20. Micheline Martin

Sooo I e-mailed my sister (who is 5 years older then me) and she agreed the grey i wanted would look really nice, i showed him and he's beat. He is THE ONLY person who thinks the grey would look prison-y so he admitted he may have been wrong. WOOT! I get my grey living room <3