I need help with a plan!

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by RebeccaH, Aug 28, 2016.

1. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Every year I crush it in Jan - March, and then I fall apart. And then I sort of pick it up July-Sept, and then I lose it altogether. I was SO SURE that 2016 was the year I was going to stay caught up and actually finish all 4 quarters. BUT, here I am with an album for Q1, a few pages for Q2, and a few pages for Q3. I've been doing weekly 2-page spreads and a few additional spreads or pages as needed. I love this format and have no interest in condensing it to something less than this for the sake of catching up. So I'm trying to get a plan for getting caught up...

Any ideas for setting a plan and staying focused? I have a TON of pages to catch up on... I'm wondering if it's realistic to plan for 3 or 4 weeks of photos being scrapped per week? Does that sound like an unrealistic goal? Even at that, it could take a while... I just want to be relatively on track at the end of the year so that I can print my Q4 album by the end of Jan '17. Would love some tips or thoughts.

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

What about doing one past week for each one current week? I've been toying with this idea myself. I'm through week 21, but no desire to actually work through any more weeks, but I don't want to give up either... so I feel like if I could maybe do one recent week, plus one further past week, it would help me get caught up without being overwhelming. Just a thought!

RebeccaH and Scrapping with Liz like this.
  3. klee73010

I also intend to print my layouts thus far this year, and hope that receiving the prints will bring new motivation to get more completed!

bestcee and RebeccaH like this.
  4. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I like Kristina's idea. I actually did that one year. When I was behind I would do a current week and then a past week.

RebeccaH likes this.
  5. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Oh my, this is my exact problem too! I scrapped week 24 today. I didn't think of the 'scrap an old one AND this week' but I totally should do that. I've already kept my weeks very simple, and will have to now, since I don't know much about some of them anymore. Which is kinda sad, because that's the reason I want to do this very thing.
    I think I'm gonna go and use Kristina's idea. Also not to wait, but scrap them whenever I feel like it. It's a good thing Monday will be my day off next year, I plan on doing all sorts of domestic things like doing groceries and cleaning and scrapping that previous' week PL would be a good thing to put on my to-do list as it is both fun and it will feel like I did something productive.

RebeccaH likes this.
  6. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I'm not doing project life but something similar. May took me forever so I'm behind. I've actually been using an idea similar to Kristina's -- keep up with August or close, then do a page or 2 for June. Now I've hit a mojo-less moment so I'm mostly doing August, but I know June is closer to caught up than it was.
    Other ideas I've seen are choosing pics for 1 or 2 weeks one day and then work on the journaling, decorating. Doing sort of a step by step process with a few weeks at a time.
    Good luck. You can do this!

RebeccaH likes this.
  7. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I do really like the "one old one new" idea! and @carilyne I am right there with you on the lack of mo-jo. Sometimes this feels like more of a think I HAVE to do instead of WANT to do. I know that's not what it is supposed to be, but it's just the facts. Still, I know I do want to have the albums. I super love to look through the ones I have printed, and there's such a satisfaction in finishing them. I think I just need to get a flow going again. It all fell apart w/ 2 moves this summer.

I did sit down and make a list of the pages I need to do for the weeks that have already happened.... let's just say that the list is not for the faint of heart. Still, one week at a time... I can do this, right?

klee73010 likes this.
  8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

You can do it. Break the list into groups so you aren't looking at the whole thing and getting overwhelmed. Do you have some fun scrapping you can do? I did PRD's paint challenge yesterday and just playing with no organization helped or an art journal page. Sometimes that helps my mojo or doing a scraplift.
    Two moves would definitely interrupt my mojo wow.
    What I like about the one week then, one week now is watching the gap shrink. That definitely helped with my motivation.

RebeccaH likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I always do this week (current week) first. Because if the details from Week 11 are already kinda lost, there's no reason to also lose Week 34. Then to catch up on some of my missing weeks, I've been taking 30 minutes and doing what I can. So, Saturday I used the 30 minutes to pick out the photos and place them in Week 11's layout. Tonight, I'll do Week 34 (I do Sunday through Saturday). Then tomorrow I'll cave out time to finish Week 11, unless I feel up to adding the journaling tonight.
    I use Lightroom for my collections. So, I've also been deleting the collection as I use it. There's a blissful feeling of happy when I can delete a week because it's done! I do like the collating idea. I think I'll ponder that one.

RebeccaH likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I think that feeling of printing the pages or at least getting them in the folder that is for printing; deleting the collection or for me moving my weekly folder (kind of my own collection which means they've been added to LR and edited there) to the 2016 DONE folder is a big feeling of checking off. I also like the idea of do the current one, and then the oldest one. Breaking the old week into the steps suggested lets you do it in 30min or 1 hour blocks.

I know for me I really lose interest in the summer because I seriously dislike the hot humid days and don't want to do anything. I'm behind in tagging and I know if I do one hour each day, it'll get done and I won't feel bad about buying...hehe

bestcee and RebeccaH like this.
  11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I like this idea!

12. klee73010

Oh, I just thought about Aaron's blog post, too! He does it in batches, which is what I have been doing up until now.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am currently plugging away on 2012 (the year I skipped when I went from paper to digital) and 2016. I like working on 2 things at once so I have something else to work on if I get stuck for ideas. I also try to do the challenges as pages for these projects. That way I get another page done AND the challenge. Of course, that does not always work, but most times it does.

14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

LOL @BevG I use the challenges for those odd photos from FB. The story gets told and then the pages go to the parent of the child or will eventually!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    RebeccaH likes this.